Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Important Information Regarding IP Restrictions in Europe

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lomme

10-13-2009

Bleh, was looking forward to a few games after getting back from driving school(if that's what it's called), but this totally put me off.

ImaBastard

10-13-2009

And the Reds have stopped posting, oh my, what a surprise!

Tryndamere

President / Co-Founder

Follow MarcMerrill on Twitter

10-13-2009

Quote:
Shadax:
Trynadmere, don't dodge this question then:

The British: Primary Language: English. Notorious for not learning second languages (mine is mandarin, but anyway..).

How on EARTH does this changes affect us positively? I play on US servers near perfectly (i also believe i'm pretty high ELO, having played Dandinh/I play jax/TakashiX/TreeEskimo occasionally). So don't tell me ping. We're ok with that.

Once more: how does the current proposal of seperating the British from the American server beneift the British player in any way?

We're not attempting to say that it is a positive for users like you.

At best, it is a neutral - IE, if you didn't have friends in the US that you wanted to play with, you wouldn't notice much of a difference because you'll be playing the same game, but connecting to a group with a different pool of players.

At worst, when you have friends across the world that you want to play with, we recognize that it can be a major issue - in fact, potentially a game-breaker for these users.

That is why we are working with Goa to figure out potential solutions to these issues, such as international tournaments and other ways to allow for cross region play. We DO care, and we DO know that this can be a big deal to many users.

ARsEnAl51

10-13-2009

"The benefits of the situation are that many players who do not speak English will have local service that will be better tailored to them, support during their timezones, events corresponding with their country's holidays, etc."

The language barrier argument looks extremely weak to me.

English ain't my native language, and though I can't say I speak it perfectly, I'm quite sure I'm not spouting out random garbage. The simple fact that you managed to read me thus far proves it.
Also players quickly learn to use the Internet International Linguo, and not just with LoL. LOL, ROFL and other STFU are part of the Internet. Sure, having the text translated and such is a nice and all. But technically, it doesn't make the game better in anyway whatsoever. It only makes it marginally more accessible to people. And considering translations tend to be less and less accurate nowadays, I'm not quite sure this will benefit LoL. But whatever, we'll see.

Edit: also... hmmm... tournaments and such are nice... but I certainly don't intend to play at a competitive level. so yeah, this still is fucked up for people playing for the fun.

Btw, was the switch made before this announcement (I mean, server-wise)?. Will LoL still be free to play? What about beta testers' accounts? Will we have to create a new one?

stormlifter

Recruiter

10-13-2009

Seems like a tough choice had to be made. Unless it's a situation where GoA won't let you allow European connections at all I think it's best to allow Euro users the opportunity to join US games and basically if their PING is to high route them away to their own Euro servers.

The language barrier is silly for Europe in the year 2009. Everyone there speaks English, as a joke I'd say there are more % that speak it there than here in the US

Jackalope

Adjudicator

10-13-2009

Quote:
Tryndamere:
We're not intending to side step the hard question, as you should know by now, our policy is always to be transparent, open and highly communicative.

The downside of this is that US & EU players who are friends won't be able to play together and that's why some people will be upset - in the same way that WOW players have separate regions.

The benefits of the situation are that many players who do not speak English will have local service that will be better tailored to them, support during their timezones, events corresponding with their country's holidays, etc.

We are working closely with Goa to try to create solutions where the players have the best of both worlds. That is why we are discussing international tournaments and other ways to address the concerns of the players.

We are fundamentally focused on delivering an amazing gaming experience to all users - and if anything has been demonstrated by us, we hope to be known for the fact that we care about our players and listen to them.

european WoW players can download the us client and play using a us account, they will get bad pings and no support, but they can do it, as long as you offer the amazing gaming experience there is no harm in allowing people to choose for themselfs where they want to play

Sharbar

10-13-2009

What? Are you serious?

I'm an EU player in a US guild and this more than infuriates me. This is the most bullshit thing I've seen in the past few months. I've played with my guild for a very long time and I will not stand for this.
I am not going to hide behind proxies or other sneaky methods of getting around a redundant system. I won't play a GOA version of LOL, either - besides for the above reasons, I don't like GOA as a company and I won't play their platform.

If you really go through with this, I guarantee you've lost a large portion of your EU playerbase. I simply can't believe that you're even considering this kind of thing. It just boggles my mind. I actually respected Riot as a company, that is until I read this. I simply won't play this game if you let this happen, and I'll make sure to get many more people post their thoughts in this thread; I hope you actually listen and make the right choice.
You can't make this comparison between an MMO and LoL - because I have the choice to play on US servers if I want - and I have made that choice for the past seven years. Now you're going to tell me I can't have that choice? Do you know how many potential customers you are going to isolate and hurt?

This just makes me very, very, very angry.

Ravenbane

10-13-2009

Tryndamere, answer this please:

The game will be out in two weeks. My US client is fine, but I have to restart the EU game after every match because I get flooded with errors.

The game will be out in two weeks. GOA is unable to say if there will be a pre-order for a game coming iin two weeks.

How is this for the best of me?

At least be honest and say "look, we made a contract with GOA that forces us to block you out". That would still suck, but at least it would be honest, whereas this "for the ebst of us"-stuff isn't...

DaRuMiR

10-13-2009

Quote:
Sharbar:
What? Are you serious?

I'm an EU player in a US guild and this more than infuriates me. This is the most bullshit thing I've seen in the past few months. I've played with my guild for a very long time and I will not stand for this.
I am not going to hide behind proxies or other sneaky methods of getting around a redundant system. I won't play a GOA version of LOL, either - besides for the above reasons, I don't like GOA as a company and I won't play their platform.

If you really go through with this, I guarantee you've lost a large portion of your EU playerbase. I simply can't believe that you're even considering this kind of thing. It just boggles my mind. I actually respected Riot as a company, that is until I read this. I simply won't play this game if you let this happen, and I'll make sure to get many more people post their thoughts in this thread; I hope you actually listen and make the right choice.
You can't make this comparison between an MMO and LoL - because I have the choice to play on US servers if I want - and I have made that choice for the past seven years. Now you're going to tell me I can't have that choice? Do you know how many potential customers you are going to isolate and hurt?

This just makes me very, very, very angry.

this

Madnesses

10-13-2009

I really hope a good solution can be found that allows players around the world to play together in practice games, normal games, and in tourneys. I am pretty sure this WILL be a deal breaker for most, if not all, of my guild. They ALL currently play LoL for somewhere between 6-8 hours a day and I am fairly certain if this takes effect we will all simply stop playing. We have members from the US, Europe, and other places around the world. If we can't play together whenever we want to, we will find another game. Goodluck finding a solution! Keep us posted.

P.S. This may prove to be true for a MUCH larger percentage of the current player base than one might think. Also, if it matters, I am a US player.