Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

% based penetration changes?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xalus

07-19-2010

So I was just in a game and actually took the time to look at how much damage I was doing to players as AP sion.

I had 49% MR pen with 51 flat pen. % based is supposed to go on first, and if that really is the case I should be doing pure damage up to around 100 MR. But I wasnt. I was doing pure damage to 51 and the it slowly started decreasing as I hit targets with more MR.

A target with 114 MR took ~420 damage from my shield with ~220 AP (it shouldve done ~540). This would be consistent with % based mpen going on after flat.

114 - 51 = 63
63 x .51 = 32.13
100/132.13 = 75%

He took (based on the rough numbers I dont remember the exact ammount of AP I had or damage he took.) 77% of the damage he should have which is pretty much the numbers you get if you put % based on after.

Can anyone else confirm that % based penetration goes on after flat now? This would mean a huge change to the way I play casters.

Vrtra Theory

07-19-2010

%-based penetration applies AFTER flat. This has been true for... 6-8 weeks now, I think. Maybe longer.

EDIT: Just for reference, here's the patch where it happened.

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=125023

Xalus

07-19-2010

Wow well **** me. When did that change go through? Who decided it was a good idea to gimp % based pen?

Wuumaster

07-19-2010

It was changed to help prevent people from doing close to true damage. It affects both Magic and Physical penetration.

Essentially, you either need 20-40 flat MPen or a Void Staff, plus runes/mastery imho. I tend to go the flat route, myself, since my targets often don't bother with much MR.