Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Tiamat vs.Ionic Spark

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

3mptylord

01-21-2012

Seriously, Tiamat needs a rework.

JustMyBassCannon

Recruiter

01-21-2012

Tiamat gives AD, IS gives AS.
Tiamat gives an undefined unit limit, IS has a longer AoE range.
Tiamat gives Regen, IS gives Health.

Tiamat is never used, Ionic Spark is rarely used.

GlyphTsen

01-22-2012

Quote:
Exdeadman:
Tiamat gives AD, IS gives AD.

I assume you meant that IS gives Attack Speed.

Anywho, you need to play Shyvana more if IS is rarely used

JustMyBassCannon

Recruiter

01-22-2012

Quote:
GlyphTsen:
I assume you meant that IS gives Attack Speed.

Anywho, you need to play Shyvana more if IS is rarely used

Shyvana's my main.

Burnout is a much better farm tool than IS, and you can replace that item with others that are generally better. Wit's End is cheaper, has higher single-target DPS (42 per hit vs 28 per hit), and gives a more substantial defense boost. Stark's Fervor gives armor reduction aura, AS, and sustain, which Shyvana has none built in.

Ionic Spark is ok. Not great, but okay.

GlyphTsen

01-22-2012

Quote:
Exdeadman:
Shyvana's my main.

Burnout is a much better farm tool than IS, and you can replace that item with others that are generally better. Wit's End is cheaper, has higher single-target DPS (42 per hit vs 28 per hit), and gives a more substantial defense boost. Stark's Fervor gives armor reduction aura, AS, and sustain, which Shyvana has none built in.

Ionic Spark is ok. Not great, but okay.

I had recalled you commenting on Shyvanna before in another thread, didn't know you made her your main though.

In any event, I'm not going to say: "don't buy Wit's End" or even "Don't buy Starks" but I do think that Ionic Spark is better than you're saying. The armor reduction is great, but for the most part you can just use an Emblem for the sustain and built towards IS (or other item if you wish), which gives you better offense than Starks, and the health is still quite good, especially given the free resist she gets from her ult. And you can finish Starks later towards the endgame where team fights will be more common and thus the auras more important.

I might build my Shyvana more offensively than you though.

3mptylord

01-22-2012

I play it on Teemo and DPS Kassadin, I've seen it on almost every Shyvanna...

Tiamat I don't think I've ever seen used.

As a farming-aid, Ionic Spark is every Tiamat wishes it could be.

GlyphTsen

01-22-2012

Thing about Spark vs. Tiamat as far as I'm concerned though, is 2 issues:

1. Tiamat has no limit on targets. If you group them all up, you can potentially hit most of or all of a full creep wave. I do think that Tiamat could use slightly better splash range though.

2. Tiamat's main draw is it's gold efficiency as an AD item that gives good regen. But this regen is outshined by Philo Stone (which can be sold late game and still make a profit from it's GP10) and it's "capped" at 50 AD since it can't be built into anything, unlike the cheaper BF Sword. Tiamat might be cheaper than BFS and Philo Stone combined, but if you get the Philo Stone early that can more than mitigate it, and both items have greater potential. By comparison, what you get with Ionic Spark has relatively few competitors (mostly Wit's End and the very expensive Bloodrazor for ASPD items with defensive stats).

3mptylord

01-22-2012

But Tiamat's range is too short to hit the entire minion wave without a lot of effort. It's range is Wukong's attack range.

Bonabon

01-22-2012

Quote:
Exdeadman:
Tiamat gives AD, IS gives AS.

Tiamat's passive isn't unique, IS's passive is.

:P

DarchAngel

01-23-2012

I've been wondering this does IS hit all units with the 110 magic damage? or does it just divvy it up between the 4?