Is Urgot Still Viable? Possibly still worth choosing in a Ranked?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

newbin

01-20-2012

I think Urgot is a really good idea but he needs to be tweeked. I'm sure everyone can agree on that.

Faelmage

01-20-2012

Alright, I think something that is FAR WORTH MENTIONING has not even been said here. First off I believe Urgot is amazing when played with a good support. Particularly Soraka in bot lane. I have a friend of mine that I play the Urgot Soraka bot lane combo all the time with and as of yet we really have not come up against a particular enemy combonation that can dominate us. The Idea is basically for soraka to allow all the farm to go to Urgot and keep up heals and keep up Urgot's mana. This combonation will destroy bot lane's lane phase and put your team at an advantage going in to mid phase. One thing that must be noted about Urgot is his passive. While he does not carry as hard as other champions later game, he will allow you to make sure that their carry's ability to do damage is weakened by use of his passive. In addition as for his ult being garbage? I could hardly disagree more. Even with a full team hitting him one pop of a heal from soraka as the switch happens to increase his armor with the additional increase in defenses from Urgot's Ult is plenty enough to let him swap, give his team a kill before an engage and get out unharmed. I've been in many games where both me and him pushed our team to quick victories either via surrender of our enemies or a simple crushing defeat all the way to their nexus. Also you want your soraka to make sure to place wards in unusual locations to particularly tri-bush, the corner bushes, and at times behind the enemy towers if allowed the opportunity so that Urgot can continue to harass his enemies regardless of how far away they can get from him. In additon a CV may also be saved for just that situation to give urgot view of his target for a second round of harassment after the enemy has already begun to flee. Hope this all helps. While I don't claim to "know it all" I do have quite a bit of experience with Urgot so if you haven't tried this combo in bot lane, I highly suggest you do!

Lil Poo Nug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtScience View Post
I have been playing Jungle Fizzle, Morgana, Ashe, Lee Sin, and Sona. I'm still stuck in elo hell so I'm sticking to these champs for a while until I am free, but I was wondering after reading a thread about Urgot, is he still worth picking as a champion? and what would be the best position for him?
Urgot is the single most powerful morgana counter as all of his spells deal physical damage. She can spell shield his ult and slow via shield, but damage wise she shields nothing. Picking up urgot solely for countering morgana's may be a waste of time, but that is up to you. In my opinion, urgot is not an ad carry so much as he is a utilitous ranged bruiser. After building manamune and brutalizer you should build items like merc's treads, frozen heart, and banshee's veil to shut down enemy ap and ad carries. Like Faelmage mentioned before, urgot's passive shuts down ad carries quite well.

Mr Geppetto

01-20-2012

He is a good champion.

Try laning him mid.

ButtScience

01-20-2012

Well, after reading all these I think he needs a change to his ultimate that would make him worth while. He's always been one of my favorite champions, mainly because he's scary and and love his Q auto-lock range.I'd love to see him buffed into a viable late game AD Ranged Carry. Pretty please Riot?

InglouriousCobb

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-20-2012

One of the main problems is that people think of Urgot as a carry, which he is NOT. While he can be built like a carry, he will never be a match for other carries because of his horrible auto-attack range. He should be used more as an anti-carry. Urgot is and should be played as an AD Caster. His main damage is in his E->Q combo, using W for its slow while chasing or kiting.
For his laning phase he can dominate in all three of the positions: solo top, mid, or bot(paired with a support). He is a very strong early laner with his harass and can easily push the enemy tower, though you must watch closely for ganks due to his slow movement speed. It is easy to zone out the enemy champion with his Noxian Charge. Once you get a successful Charge just start shooting his Acid Hunters. Don't chase too far unless you are sure of the kill and that there are no ganks in store for you. If the enemy is pushing your turret hard just wait till you have your ult. and swap him into range of your tower, hit him with your Charge, pop your W, then keep him slowed with Acid Hunters. His early game damage, esp. after the Manamune and Brutalizer is insane.
Late game he is more useful for the utilities he brings to a team fight, of which there are four: slow, armor reduction, attack reduction, and swap. Make sure to target the enemy carry with your Charge and Passive. If you are tankier you can even initiate by swapping the carry into your team. I like to have flash for those occasions so I can get out quickly. With the enemy carry dead the rest of the fight should be relatively easy. Once the enemy starts retreating you can slow them down with Acid Hunters and your Terror Capacitor.
In my personal opinion I find him to be quite well balanced, he is just difficult to master. His late game utility makes up for the drop in damage that he does. I usually go ArP Marks and Quints, Armor Seals, and CDR Glyphs. For Summoner spells I usually go Flash/Teleport or Ghost/Exhaust.

Mortiferus Rosa

01-24-2012

Urgot has been my prime champion from about rank 8 on up. He is not a carry but more of an anti-carry. He is brilliant at dominating in the laning phase and I prefer to play him solo top or even mid.

Regarding his ult, it is not useless. You use his ult (which by its third level has a good range) to yank the support/carry to the middle of the fight where they dont want to be and where they tend to die in seconds.

I go 21-0-9 masteries, grabbing all the armor pen as well as the 4% cdr in the offense and going for the mana regen on the utility.

My runes are AP Marks and Quints, Flat Mana per sec seals and Flat CDR Glyphs. My Summoner spells are Flash/Tele since I play solo lane.

Item build? Focus on getting a Mana generator (i prefer tear->manamune) and anti-CC boots. After that, build your AD and armor as you need it.

Ginga

Recruiter

01-24-2012

Quote:
He's not good for solo queue, he seems good on paper but in practice he doesn't do enough damage to carry if your team is ****ting the bed.
Well here's a very important thing you're missing. He's not a carry. Never was, never will be.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...ighlight=urgot

likeomgitsadam

Recruiter

01-25-2012

Hey all , There's this great commentator streaming right now , he'll be analyzing top level Jungling for "In the Woods Wednesday" over at www.own3d.tv/phrank !