How to play Gragas

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Viking Fury

01-19-2012

Hi, I seem to post alot on the Beginner Forum, but every time I get helpful responses in the areas of the game I am struggling. My current question is about Gragas, who I recently unlocked. I only have five total champions now, and of those this is the first of its type (I think). Based on guides of Gragas, I should be playing as an AP solo top/mid champ, rather than a melee fighter.

This being the case (or correct me if I should be playing as an AD), this would be my first AP champion. However, I have played two games with Gragas and failed miserably. I really enjoy his abilities, but I am completely unaware how to play with this type of champion. In both matches, I dealt very little damage with my abilities, and picked up a LOT of deaths despite trying to keep my distance from enemies. Is an AP Gragas just difficult for a noob like me, who has never done much with AP, or are there things I'm missing? Also, I'm using some recommended AP items for Gragas, according to some guide. Items such as Doran's Ring, Rod of Ages, etc. I need to get runes for this type of champion.

shalexade

01-19-2012

Your AP champs tend to play differently to your melee champs.

The biggest change is that you really rely on your abilities (as without AD, your auto attacks barely make a dint!)

As such, you need to play that way- you need to sit back, poke a bit with your spells, and when the time is right, unleash everything on them- then get back behind your lines til your cooldowns recover. (As with just autoattacks, you're useless!)

Of course, that's a pretty generic description, and each AP character plays a little differently due to their unique skill sets.

(Specifically of Gragas, I don't play him so I can't answer you specifically, but the priciples of poking, and unleashing your burst at the right time should apply to him in the same way)

LancerXXX

01-19-2012

Gragas is kind of hard to get the hang of at the start. Basically, you stay really far away and just poke with your Q. Your W makes CSing a breeze, and your E is just overpowered for burst, escape and chasing. In my humble opinion, Gragas' R is one of the strongest skills in the game.

I noticed your build goes 3 Dorans > Sorceror's Shoes > WotA or something like that. This is where the problem starts.
1: You need to get boots earlier. I start boots + 3 potions.
2: The standard beginning of a caster build is either Boots > Rod of Ages > Deathcap or Boots > 3 Doran's > Deathcap. If you go 3 Dorans > Rod of Ages, you have a lot of sustain, but nowhere near enough damage.
After that, get Lich Bane, Zhonya's Hourglass, Void Staff, Abyssal Scepter etc. depending on what is required.

Skill order is R>Q>E>W in most situations, but you can go R>Q>W>E if you're being zoned and forced to waste mana CSing with Q.

Masteries are 21/0/9, with all the AP and MP related things.

Runes are MPen marks, Mana Regen/lvl seals , AP/lvl glyphs, and AP quints. That said, you don't need full runes and masteries to play Gragas effectively.

As AP Gragas, you are squishy, and if you E into a teamfight you will die. So at the beginning of a teamfight, throw a few barrels around, mess up their positioning with R, and use E as an escape. 5 seconds later, when everyone is dead and nobody can do damage any more, THEN you can E in and clear up.

If you're going mid, just try to CS for the first few levels. It's tough against ranged opponents, but it shouldn't be too hard because you can use your skills to help you CS, and your W is a crazy AD steroid. Throw some barrels around here and there, spam W whenever it's off CD, and your passive should take care of most of the harass they throw on you. Unless your opponent is Swain or Ryze. In that case, just get a lane swap or hide at the back forever and hope they get cocky and you can R them into your turret.

Gragas' kill potential is very strong, and he pushes very well if you have the AP to keep up with the minions' health growth (that is why you get 3 Dorans, not 1 or 2, and rush straight for the Deathcap). If the enemy gets close, throw an R behind them, slam into them with E, throw a Q behind them (again) and pop it as they run. If an ally is helping you, guaranteed kill. If not, they just lost a giant chunk of health and will either be running away from the lane as fast as they can, or sticking around to let you throw a barrel at them under the turret for a kill.

Wait, why did I write all that when I could just link to: http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=6576

d10p3t

Recruiter

01-20-2012

actually gragas was originally designed to be off tank. but his ap ratios were high so people just decided to play him ap.

d4l3kcaan

01-20-2012

gragas is a pretty hard champion to learn, i wouldnt recommend him for beginers, mainly becuase of his wacky ult never really doing what you want it to unless you have perfect latency/fps.

that being said, you need to focus on his early game, farming and barrel positioning. its really easy to get behind on farm with gragas