I'm saying it: Last hitting is an archaic game mechanic

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ActionButlerGO

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2012

Upvoting.

The heavy (nearly mindless) emphasis on last hitting is a huge barrier to entry for new players and just boring for others. This is why Dominion holds the appeal that it does for many players, both new and old.

Gribblez

01-18-2012

They will in a way be forced to change things up if Blizz's DoTa starts gobbling up people. Its just simple business. I never understood why we only got gold from last hits in the first place. Yea it ads some skill element, but in the end it just favors those that are better players in general. This is turn (at least to me) leads to people getting pissed because once the gold advantage shifts to the opposing side, they quickly lose interest in playing the match and give up.

EBartleby

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2012

Last hitting is freaking boring and requires almost no skill. It's just one more thing you mechanically have to do while prolonging the boring laning phase.

It's fate is the same as denying: left behind as an artifact of an inferior game engine.

BeardRex

01-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionButlerGO View Post
Upvoting.

The heavy (nearly mindless) emphasis on last hitting is a huge barrier to entry for new players.
If you don't want to last hit, Go jungle or support.

Or play dominion.

I love Dominion, and I love SR. The way they are.

ccWarPig

01-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyy909 View Post
Wave control is skill. Last hitting itself isn't complicated but using pressure and positioning to deny your opponents is. This is what low level player DONT understand.

They think that the whole lane phase is getting max CS and that's all the pros are doing... What they don't realize is how much of an effect it has to get 1 extra poke on your opponent here and there to get ahead of them.. They lean in for a CS, you take a shot at them... thus positioning and min/maxing is important... And putting your opponent into a spot where he can be easily ganked is crucial.

Understand when you can utilize a wave to your advantage is also good strategy.. Pushing out a wave as fast as possible while still getting every CS and going to help your team with objectives is smart play.

I think someone like you is complaining because you don't actually know how the games lane phase really works.
Thank you! Please don't dumb down the game. Making things noob-friendly is hardly ever the way to go. Sure it takes skill, patience an frustration to learn but this type of game has a lot of really cool hidden mechanics. Look for a video guide of Reginald playing Vladimir. While the video is outdated as far as Vlad goes, he gives some great in-depth explanation of lane management. That's based on last hitting, you need to control when the minions die.

Dayblazer

01-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathCray0n View Post
This would basically kill the AD + Support bot, because the support can't stay close enough to protect the carry AND give them all the gold at the same time.

I support this 100%
I like it already, the meta blows. It needs something to change it and it wont without something drastic. Those saying wave control takes skill are right but are just refusing to acknowledge you can have wave control without last hitting. I agree it should be looked at and evaluated. Last hitting doesnt take skill just timing. And for those talkin about badges you amuse me.

~Down with the Meta~

eatthatmeatball

01-18-2012

I think Riot and LoL are too far entrenched into the mechanics of their game to turn anything around. Every single champion in this game is based, in part, by the fact that last-hitting is a mechanic.

Riot would have to dissect every single champion to see if this change would make them OP, pulling their resources away from other projects. League of Legends will always have last-hitting because it's in the very foundation of the game itself.

Blizzard has the advantage of starting fresh-anew, and building an entire new dota game on the fact that last-hitting is not a mechanic. I'm curious to see how that effects their champion kit ideas and itemization...

iainB85

01-18-2012

Quote:
If you don't want to last hit, Go jungle or support.

Or play dominion.

I love Dominion, and I love SR. The way they are.
That is pretty narrow minded -- if games just stayed "the way they are" we'd never have any improvements to them!

Riot has already shown they are willing to make big changes by recently totally reworking the jungle system, and removing a core stat to the game (dodge), so I beleive this is something important they should take a look at.

BeardRex

01-18-2012

Denying someone farm is one of these most aggressive parts of the game at the moment.

Wave control doesn't matter if they're getting gold anyway.

InSpades

01-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninaran View Post
They took out denying, might as well remove last hitting, I'm okay with this. Promotes agressive play.
Actually I disagree. It promotes stagnation and boredom. There is no way to get ahead of the other laner (other then straight up killing them). The better player will have a more difficult laning phase. So it props up bad players who otherwise would have fallen far behind.

I can see two mid lane players where you literally sit across the minion swarms looking at each other, pot shooting and dodging, because you don't want to push the wave (for fear of ganks).

Frankly, as things are, removing last hitting would make this a very boring and unskilled game during laning phase.

If laning simply went away, because what is the point (unless prox=gold), then there is nothing but mid game. I see less skill, less fun and most mindless gorilla war tactic play styles.