Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

I'm saying it: Last hitting is an archaic game mechanic

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DonVadim

01-18-2012

Quote:
iainB85:
Last hitting is an archaic game mechanic carried over from a Warcraft 3 mod where killing NPC's by default gave you gold. It's not only archaic, it's flat out a bad game mechanic that fosters mindless "whack-a-mole" gameplay in order to be effective at an otherwise immersive, rewarding team-based game.

The upcomming "Blizzard dota" already announced that last hitting will not be a mechanic of the game, and gold will be shared based on proximity and contribution factors. This inherently promotes non-damage type rolls such as tank, crowd control, and support. It also promotes more dynamic team play as instead of staring at hit point bars trying to land the last hit, players have more incentive to be agressive, push lanes, work as a team, and focus on their champion and what they can accomplish with their skill set (does it really make sense for champions to have all this power but run back and forth waiting to finish off NPC's so they don't "push" their lane too far -- is this mechanic really fun?!).

I strongly beleive this is where moba style games are going to go in the future, and I hope that LoL will be able to adapt in time, as I love the champions, art, and frequent updates they provide.

TLDR; Gold based on lane / proximity contribution instead of landing the last hit on things promotes better gameplay and player experience, and is where games are going in the future: don't get left behind LoL!

I think Riot already dumbed down this game enough, there is no need to make it possible to play by animals too. Ideas like this are almost always made by unskilled idiots that refuse to learn and instead just QQ on forums till something gets changed. OP is a cancer that is trying to ruin this game even more.

InfiniteVoid316

Recruiter

01-18-2012

Quote:
Bandresnatch:
There was a WCIII moba game called AoM (Age of Myths?) where you got gold just by being near creeps when they died. It's not a hard system to implement with some balance tweaking.

Actually, in Age of Myths, gold given was based on amount of damage done to the creep by your hero. The gold was actually given in the form of bounty, which can then be traded for gold at the base.

Ozlin

01-18-2012

blizzard with a DOTA? sounds like Ill need to spend money...

IalreadyHateYou

01-18-2012

I love last hitting/wave control.

iainB85

01-18-2012

Quote:
Wave control is skill. Last hitting itself isn't complicated but using pressure and positioning to deny your opponents is. This is what low level player DONT understand.

They think that the whole lane phase is getting max CS and that's all the pros are doing... What they don't realize is how much of an effect it has to get 1 extra poke on your opponent here and there to get ahead of them.. They lean in for a CS, you take a shot at them... thus positioning and min/maxing is important... And putting your opponent into a spot where he can be easily ganked is crucial.

Understand when you can utilize a wave to your advantage is also good strategy.. Pushing out a wave as fast as possible while still getting every CS and going to help your team with objectives is smart play.

I think someone like you is complaining because you don't actually know how the games lane phase really works.

Wave control is more definitely a skill, and one that has absolutely nothing to do with last hitting. You could still play passive and not push your lane to setup the gank and what not, it just would not be the ONLY option to not gimp yourself late game.

If last hitting wasn't a factor, wave control would be even more of a pro player choice, knowing when to push and when not to, you are arguing something that really has nothing to do with the "getting the last hit is the only way to receive gold mechanic" I am down playing in this thread.

And for the people who saying you need a certain elo to be able to make valid points, I can't help but shake my head in pitty for you. Just because someone does not have the time, or the skill, to reach the top 5% of a massive player base, does not mean they do not understand the game and the current mechanics within it.

Nekrogen

01-18-2012

Yeah LoL already has a game mode that de-emphasizes last hitting: Dominion. If you like the the champions of LoL and combat mechanics, that is where you should look. Honestly, I'd rather spend 20 minutes duking it out with other players than 20 minutes duking it out with minion lifebars.

TherIsNoUrfLevel

01-18-2012

This would basically kill the AD + Support bot, because the support can't stay close enough to protect the carry AND give them all the gold at the same time.

I support this 100%

Private Katarina

01-18-2012

Get out.

Go play Dominion.

Signed, 1600+ Elo.

BeardRex

01-18-2012

If no one was concerned with last hitting, the minions wouldn't last 2 seconds in the lane. People would be less likely to come out from under the tower. In this style of game, farming is the only reason to leave your tower.

Iceyhackr

01-18-2012

pro dominion thread