I'm saying it: Last hitting is an archaic game mechanic

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotFpMcgee

Associate QA Strategist

Follow RiotFpMcgee on Twitter

01-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyy909 View Post
Wave control is skill. Last hitting itself isn't complicated but using pressure and positioning to deny your opponents is. This is what low level player DONT understand.

They think that the whole lane phase is getting max CS and that's all the pros are doing... What they don't realize is how much of an effect it has to get 1 extra poke on your opponent here and there to get ahead of them.. They lean in for a CS, you take a shot at them... thus positioning and min/maxing is important... And putting your opponent into a spot where he can be easily ganked is crucial.

Understand when you can utilize a wave to your advantage is also good strategy.. Pushing out a wave as fast as possible while still getting every CS and going to help your team with objectives is smart play.

I think someone like you is complaining because you don't actually know how the games lane phase really works.
Absolutely this. Why is it downvoted?

Hedonismb0t

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2012

Last hitting needs to have some presence in the game, otherwise there would be even less incentive to push. A team could turtle all day and have just as much gold. I like the small splash gold idea.

blissless

01-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainB85 View Post
TLDR; Gold based on lane / proximity contribution instead of landing the last hit on things promotes better gameplay and player experience, and is where games are going in the future: don't get left behind LoL!
but what's stopping people from gaming the system there too? wouldn't you just get people camping certain spots with the most creeps or whatever?

Dayblazer

01-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velore View Post
So people who aoe farm the creep and push the turret wins, while single target loses their farm to towers.
Its already like this at some point you aoe your creeps and knockdown a tower.

ransyama

01-18-2012

LOL @ all the people who can't last hit.

What am I supposed to do in lane now? Just stand near the minions and mash S?

Shaelreth

01-18-2012

Blizzard Already said their DOTA will NOT, I repeat NOT have the last hitting mechanic. They said it's worthless, it promotes passive gameplay, and is an old mechanic.

NomadTheWanderer

01-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancypantsmcgee View Post
Absolutely this. Why is it downvoted?
Cuz GD is filled with morons QQ'ing about elo hell and can't last-hit for ****.

ByTheBeardOfZeus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2012

I think that there should still be incentive to last hit, i.e. getting more gold than not last hitting. I find lane aggression more of a risk vs reward type deal. You're risking (almost guaranteed) steady source of low income for potentially a lot of gold + exp + denying them experience and gold.

Tempname281

01-18-2012

It's a great concept, but to put it into practice is, well, extremely complicated.

What would count as contribution? If you spend your team zoning the enemy away as Alistar or Leona or whatever support, how could they quantify that as part of the "contribution"? If you spend your time placing wards all over the place, you are clearly contributing, but how can the game recognize that? They can't just go "Oh, you placed a ward, here, have some gold" cause then people will spam wards for no reason.

I think the best way to do that would be to just have the gold be like XP, in that everyone in range gets a portion. This would also break the current meta of 0 CS support bot lane, because all of a sudden, farming is, well, automatic, meaning the focus will be on harassing and zoning.

The downside is that this lowers the skill ceiling a LOT, because while anyone can harass, and anyone can last hit, not everyone can last hit AND harass well without missing a lot of CS and without pushing the lane.

Hedonismb0t

01-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFong View Post
I like last hitting. Also, until you get a rating over 1600 your opinion is pretty invalid. Even at 1600 it's pretty invalid.
what's the average? 1200 or something? The average should dictate the course, not the top 1 % (lol)