Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

I'm saying it: Last hitting is an archaic game mechanic

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kyy909

01-18-2012

Quote:
iainB85:
Last hitting is an archaic game mechanic carried over from a Warcraft 3 mod where killing NPC's by default gave you gold. It's not only archaic, it's flat out a bad game mechanic that fosters mindless "whack-a-mole" gameplay in order to be effective at an otherwise immersive, rewarding team-based game.

The upcomming "Blizzard dota" already announced that last hitting will not be a mechanic of the game, and gold will be shared based on proximity and contribution factors. This inherently promotes non-damage type rolls such as tank, crowd control, and support. It also promotes more dynamic team play as instead of staring at hit point bars trying to land the last hit, players have more incentive to be agressive, push lanes, work as a team, and focus on their champion and what they can accomplish with their skill set (does it really make sense for champions to have all this power but run back and forth waiting to finish off NPC's so they don't "push" their lane too far -- is this mechanic really fun?!).

I strongly beleive this is where moba style games are going to go in the future, and I hope that LoL will be able to adapt in time, as I love the champions, art, and frequent updates they provide.

TLDR; Gold based on lane / proximity contribution instead of landing the last hit on things promotes better gameplay and player experience, and is where games are going in the future: don't get left behind LoL!

Wave control is skill. Last hitting itself isn't complicated but using pressure and positioning to deny your opponents is. This is what low level player DONT understand.

They think that the whole lane phase is getting max CS and that's all the pros are doing... What they don't realize is how much of an effect it has to get 1 extra poke on your opponent here and there to get ahead of them.. They lean in for a CS, you take a shot at them... thus positioning and min/maxing is important... And putting your opponent into a spot where he can be easily ganked is crucial.

Understand when you can utilize a wave to your advantage is also good strategy.. Pushing out a wave as fast as possible while still getting every CS and going to help your team with objectives is smart play.

I think someone like you is complaining because you don't actually know how the games lane phase really works. I'm not saying it cannot be improved. I am simply saying that you might not fully understand what you're arguing against.

ChristIlluzion

01-18-2012

I suck at last hitting, so this is awesome!

Ultimate Noob Na

01-18-2012

I like last hitting. Also, until you get a rating over 1600 your opinion is pretty invalid. Even at 1600 it's pretty invalid.

EDIT: The overwhelming amount of downvotes is due to the fact that 97% of the LoL population is sub 1600

Irisaurus Rex

01-18-2012

this is a good idea so it wont happen

Guttler

01-18-2012

Last hitting was only relevant on champions that had mechanics that benefitted from it, like Annie, Veigar or Nasus.

Ultimate Noob Na

01-18-2012

Quote:
Kyy909:
Wave control is skill. Last hitting itself isn't complicated but using pressure and positioning to deny your opponents is. This is what low level player DONT understand.

They think that the whole lane phase is getting max CS and that's all the pros are doing... What they don't realize is how much of an effect it has to get 1 extra poke on your opponent here and there to get ahead of them.. They lean in for a CS, you take a shot at them... thus positioning and min/maxing is important... And putting your opponent into a spot where he can be easily ganked is crucial.

Understand when you can utilize a wave to your advantage is also good strategy..

I think someone like you is complaining because you don't actually know how the games lane phase really works.

This

NomadTheWanderer

01-18-2012

ITT: people who suck at last hitting bashing on it. And people who realize why last hitting is important, bashing on people who bash on last hitting.

Slashmeehup

01-18-2012

One concern:

Wouldn't the game devolve into a deathmatch, as people just ignore creeps to 1v1 each other? And wouldn't it make bad lane matchups even more one sided? As the game is right now, if someone has a champ who can beat you one on one, the only thing that keeps them from hounding you nonstop is the fact that they'll miss CS if they do so. With this change, you'd pretty much have no chance.

IrrationalNoob

01-18-2012

Quote:
iainB85:
Is it really a layer of depth though? Can you imagine how much more fun the game would be, with all of it's champions, if we didn't have a base mechanic that promoted passive play and not being agressive within your lane?

When I watch the top ELO streamers ignore the turret so they can continue to safely farm CS for the first twenty minutes of the game (most evident in the current top game meta) I can't help but feel there is something wrong with the current system and what it promotes gameplay wise.

then what you have is dominion. There, last hitting is good but objectives are far more important. Its about area control and dueling ability more than anything else.

People actually like laning and at low levels of play there is plenty of aggression.

Bodydrop

01-18-2012

Not including last hitting in LoL will promote ARAM type gameplay at all level's, including tourney. Durpa durpa durpa pick taric sion and anything op at lvl 1 win game.......

Yea you should think a little harder b4 u post.