I'm saying it: Last hitting is an archaic game mechanic

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DrTemptragon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2012

Last hitting is seen as the best comprimise between actually getting gold and not pushing the lane far enough that the jungler can gank you easily. Even if last hitting was removed, the top-tier players would still last hit only, given the current state of the meta.

Eph289

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2012

Agree entirely. It's a purely mechanical skillgate only.

iainB85

01-18-2012

Quote:
I think last hitting adds a certain skill element as there is a fine balance of things you need to do in lane. Harass, avoid harassment, last hit, set up ganks, and avoid being ganked all at the same time separates the good players from the bad.
I actually think if last hitting didn't matter, or was less important, it was PROMOTE all of things you just listed, as players would be more focused on harassing and avoiding harass to stay in lane, instead of just staying tucked away getting the last hits to be strong late game. Do you not agree?

ArkthePieKing

01-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainB85 View Post
Is it really a layer of depth though? Can you imagine how much more fun the game would be, with all of it's champions, if we didn't have a base mechanic that promoted passive play and not being agressive within your lane?

When I watch the top ELO streamers ignore the turret so they can continue to safely farm CS for the first twenty minutes of the game (most evident in the current top game meta) I can't help but feel there is something wrong with the current system and what it promotes gameplay wise.
Which is why I still support the splash gold. Similar to the jungle change where the longer the mobs were there, the more they were worth. It allowed the jungler to leave without completely gimping himself.

The laner could hide in a bush, go 0 cs, harass, etc. without being hindered, because he/she/it would still get a portion of that gold. I'm just saying a balance can be struck. I prefer neither extreme. The middle ground is where its at. =)

Hourricane

01-18-2012

I agree that it's old and archaic.
But it's rewarding and a lot of char are based on "pure farmer" to be efficient (Morde, Singed...).

But I also think that we spend more time hitting minions than hitting other champions and I think that's pretty bad for the game.

Rumble Bot

01-18-2012

I'm not fond of the last hitting game mechanic myself.

Ploutus

01-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohohohoking View Post
I was always thinking that minions got killed by non-champions (turrets and friendly minions) should give gold to a team gold pool and passively increase team stats (e.g. turret damage or regeneration speed etc.)
As have I.

iainB85

01-18-2012

Quote:
So people who aoe farm the creep and push the turret wins, while single target loses their farm to towers.
Hmm, I don't see your logic... so AoE pushing to turret would be a strategy... but if the single target champion could focus their dmg on the AoE champ forcing them out of lane, that would be a strong counter to it... it's not as cut and dry as you are making it sound, there are still plenty of dynamics at play in a lane without having to last hit.

IS13c7fafe7804f7429d10e

01-18-2012

I always thought the main reason for last-hitting was the enemy jungler, aka the living punishment for pushing the lane.

x GUNPLAY

01-18-2012

am i the only on that finds last hitting kinda fun ?