I'm saying it: Last hitting is an archaic game mechanic

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Baz Ramley

01-26-2012

My god, the whining. This is a solid idea, it's not an issue of complexity either. The people who want last hitting so bad are like old people playing slot machines, they like the little 'ding' they get from last hitting. That's it, you're like crack addicts who are being told your crack is being taken away.

It's entirely mechanical, it is not a skill. Hell, the way minions attack and enemies act its more like gambling, because you can't be sure you'll get the hit. Oh I'm sure you have a 'system' like any gambler does, but they're not perfect, and they all appeal to that same base need for a luck-induced high.

Change will come, as the red post indicated, so better find a new fix soon kids!

MasterofSFL

01-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz Ramley View Post
My god, the whining. This is a solid idea, it's not an issue of complexity either. The people who want last hitting so bad are like old people playing slot machines, they like the little 'ding' they get from last hitting. That's it, you're like crack addicts who are being told your crack is being taken away.

Change will come, as the red post indicated, so better find a new fix soon kids!
The Red liked the proposal, he wasn't an RnD or developer and simply stated he would forward it to those people and hoped it intrigued them. Doesn't mean Change will come and if it does it will be swift either.

Dolittle

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-26-2012

Interesting idea. I'd love to see a test run of this to see the viability.

Habber Dasher

01-26-2012

So is last-hitting really all that skillful? I mean, yes, last hitting is a skill you have to learn but all it takes is a little practice to do with any given champ. You last hit because its dangerous to push and it doesn't give you any advantage. You essentially have one viable choice. That's not strategy, it's not skill. As long as there is a jungler in lol there will be risk for pushing. However, with some of the suggestions above, you'll have to actually balance these with the rewards of being aggressive.

I will give you this, there is currently decision making that comes from when to farm, when, to harass, and when to go for the kill, but I think some of these suggestions can be implemented while preserving, or even increasing those tactical decisions.

Baz Ramley

01-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber Dasher View Post
So is last-hitting really all that skillful? I mean, yes, last hitting is a skill you have to learn but all it takes is a little practice to do with any given champ. You last hit because its dangerous to push and it doesn't give you any advantage. You essentially have one viable choice. That's not strategy, it's not skill. As long as there is a jungler in lol there will be risk for pushing. However, with some of the suggestions above, you'll have to actually balance these with the rewards of being aggressive.

I will give you this, there is currently decision making that comes from when to farm, when, to harass, and when to go for the kill, but I think some of these suggestions can be implemented while preserving, or even increasing those tactical decisions.
^

This. There's totally room for new and similarly involving strategy without last hitting, anyone acting afraid/scornful of it is just too set in their ways to accept change.

Toss Baws

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-26-2012

If this was in the Public Beta I'd download right away!

Or maybe an "enhanced gold" gametype for SR for people who wanna test it out as well? They're only a couple of coding ideas, not an entirely new champion or map, so compared tot he rest of the game, it really shouldn't be too hard.... right?

Coach

01-26-2012

Well written but we I do think that I only like the 4th idea and even then the modifiers are much too great for split pushers. Say I play Yi and average roughly 300 cs in 30-35 minutes (common with my way of playing YI). All I do is split push and I'm in the enemy 1.5-2x bonus area a lot and I do get a great deal of minion kills there. With proper warding and me having my ult ghost and ghost blade up I don't die that much in the enemy area. Meaning I am effectively getting lots of bonus gold for having no risk. So the modifiers should not be that high

Crafter of Stars

01-26-2012

What OP and his fan boys fail to realize is that good players understand how to harass and attain CS at the same time. Removing one of these things only makes the game more boring to those of us who don't suck at it. Killing your enemy is very valuable in lane, not just because of the gold you get from it, but because it also gives you time to 1) cs while the enemy can't 2)maybe take an objective 3) get the lane pushed to an advantageous spot.

Certain champions are better played passively then others. Take a Garen vs Nasus lane- if both these champions come out of the lanning phase 0-0-0 with the same CS, the Garen and his team is absolutely screwed. CS thus creates conflict, Garen has to force Nasus out of the lane often one way or the other or he is not doing his job. Their is absolutely nothing passive about this- their is an element of one champion being on offense and another being on defense, but its a very active lane, not a passive lane. If their is no need to cs, Nasus can just walk back and forth near his minions without ever having to expose himself to harass.

Good harassment involves timing when your OPPONENT should be trying to CS and positioning yourself to take advantage of it if your champion is getting the best of trades. Good passive play involves somehow still getting CS despite the your opponent using your desire to attack minions against you - you have to lose trades in a minor way that allows you to still stay in the lane and cs most of the minions. It absolutely does take skill to balance the two, and you basically admit you don't have this skill when you act like passively CSing is always the bet way to play a lane.

Please Riot, do not let the OP's lack of understanding and lack of game skills completely destroy the primary source of conflict which all champion and item balance is based upon.

wolfyNick

01-26-2012

I was going as support soraka bot with caitlyn against a super aggressive vayne and sona that just kept pushing and pushing. Without any ganks they took our first bottom tower in <10 minutes.

VxKhamulxV

01-26-2012

I love it. Thumbs up