I'm saying it: Last hitting is an archaic game mechanic

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xemozu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-26-2012

Bump for a great cause! I'm too bored of this passively farming meta, after you get the timing down 70% of the game resumes to play autopilot mode for the first 15 minutes, in all lanes. Agression usually ends punished, while maximizing farming and not ever moving from lane rewards the player.

ElPolloDiablo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Master Recruiter

01-26-2012

bump

Vadorojo

01-26-2012

Great post and good ideas to consider. I'd love to see these changes playtested and see what comes of them.

If they played out well in playtesting, I'd love to see a 4th map (Magma Chamber, anyone?) which implemented this style of play, so that players who enjoy last hitting could play SR and TT, Dominion players could enjoy Dominion and other players could branch out into this very different style of MOBA.

Once again, great post!

Sagee Prime

01-26-2012

I don't know if doing away with the old way of gaining gold is a good idea but I love your idea for towers giving gold per down tower.

maybe reducing early gold per second down to 1.0 and giving something like 0.25 per tower killed. You don't want gold per second to be too high otherwise gold becomes to plentiful lategame. Maybe even just an additional 5 gold 10 would be good.

As for last hitting why not have a split between proximity gold and last hitting gold so you still get gold from being their but you get more from last hitting. a 50/50 split seems alright.

The mastery that allows you to deal 2/4 extra damage to minions could be easily remade to allow you to deal 25/50% extra damage to minions below 20% hp.

One thing that really bothers me is the damage difference between melee and range minions. I think ranged minions should do allot less damage and melee minions should do more. I also think cannon minions should do less damage to minions and more damage to towers.

Last hitting is an element of skill and timing and I don't think it should be entirely removed if it was changed in some way to make it easier.

I think you should consider some of my ideas in your post as food for though.

Ashesofanangel

01-26-2012

Interesting read and well thought out.

Meatzombie

01-26-2012

your link is broken so i didnt get to read.

I like the splash gold/last hitting hybrid but it would have to be like an 80/20 ratio, that way if you want to take the time to last hit you would be rewarded, but a 0 CS with a gp/5 item is still viable.

iainB85

01-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatzombie View Post
your link is broken so i didnt get to read.
Is it broken for anyone else? It's working for me.

Papptist

01-26-2012

i back this, last hitting really doesn't make sense when you think about it.

and to everyone who is saying that it takes skill to last hit, please, its a beginners hurdle.

SleepyPandaBear

Recruiter

01-26-2012

Interesting ideas

Red XVI

01-26-2012

Well done man I was on the fence about this but you've won me over with that thesis haha. +1
Lol at the only argument being hur dur make the game more casual you're just a noob who cant last hit.. If I wanted to play the exact same gameplay made over eight years ago I would go play dota 2, lol is evolving and creating new and interesting game theory rather than rehashing **** that's been done before. Stuff like this is what the game needs