Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

I'm saying it: Last hitting is an archaic game mechanic

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fisherman Fizz

01-26-2012

Riot, hire this man! Oh wait, you already want to.

BarneyGoneBad

Recruiter

01-26-2012

Quote:
RiotMontag:
This is a fantastic proposal. Very thorough and well thought out. Good job, dude.

I forwarded this on to our live design team. Hopefully it inspires them. We shall see.

You might consider applying, too. Make your case in person.

this come off sarcastic to anyone else?

Zerglinator

01-26-2012

I like it. It has always bothered me how the goal of destroying the other team's nexus is usually not the main goal, with the goal being more of, try to get enough of an advantage to do one big final push.

Minishmaster

01-26-2012

I really like the idea of automatically getting gold for nearby minion deaths, but I also think that getting the last hit should give a slightly higher bounty (for example, 67% of minion gold is split between all nearby champs, but 33% is only given to whoever got the last hit). Certain classes, like true tanks and supports, naturally need less gold than champs like AP and AD carries, and gold division should reflect this.

I also think that the increased bounty for killing minions in enemy territory is very abusable, but increasing bounty for killing an enemy's small jungle camps is a possibility. The goal shouldn't be forcing aggressive gameplay like some of your ideas seem to do, nor forcing passive play like the current system, but letting each lane choose which option works best with them.

Sqdhd123

01-26-2012

pretty cool stuff, i like the idea

Duke Br0heimer

01-26-2012

Quote:
BarneyGoneBad:
this come off sarcastic to anyone else?

Yeah, a Riot employee would totally come into a thread the OP has put a ton of thought and effort into (so much in fact that he had to put it into a PDF file) and do something like that.

Sure.

Teemo Support GG

01-26-2012

What an amazing write up.
+100.
I'd love to see these changes.

DeanKeaton259

Recruiter

01-26-2012

I dunno if this is a good idea or not. It sounds like it has a lot of positive aspects, however, removing last hitting entirely is a complete departure from the MOBA genre as we know it. I don't think a change like this could simply be introduced in a patch without giving the community time to respond.

This is the sort of thing that would need extensive alpha and beta testing with the community involved. It's such a huge change that it's almost impossible to know how this would affect gameplay. I also don't believe that any amount of internal testing could really come close to simulating how this would play out on live.

Perhaps this could be added in as an alternate game mode? If it caught on, it would become the dominant and default way of playing League of Legends. If not, there would be no issue to current players. I just don't believe that it would be plausible to completely overhaul a mechanic and force this down players' throats. So, yeah, I think I'm not alone in saying that I wouldn't want this included as a global change in an upcoming patch. However, I wouldn't mind seeing this introduced as a new game mode.

As a side note, I believe that higher Elo players would probably not be in favor of these changes. Most high Elo players see last hitting as a skill, so its removal would lower the skill cap of the game overall.

Bigricky

01-26-2012

Quote:
RiotMontag:
This is a fantastic proposal. Very thorough and well thought out. Good job, dude.

I forwarded this on to our live design team. Hopefully it inspires them. We shall see.

You might consider applying, too. Make your case in person.

i lol'd

Nightange1

01-26-2012

Should junglers be rewarded more gold for going into the enemy jungle, creating a more risk vs reward situation? Which would lead to more aggressive play even at lower levels of elo, Im wondering if you thought of this idea before.