I'm saying it: Last hitting is an archaic game mechanic

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Malgana

01-25-2012

The problem with this is that gaining gold gain permanently off of killing turrets is called "Snowballing"

Riot likes the "underdog" team to have options, and if the enemy team rush pushes all 3 of your turrets, they've snowballed to a point of no return since there is no way to counter that x3 turret gold they're gaining, and will lead to one team dominating the other for the entire game and will give more cause for surrenders, which is never fun.

IMO, it would turn this game into HoN, where the game is pretty much decided once a hero has 5 kills or so, since they just snowball out of control and hyper carry the game.
Having more turret kills then defending while your gold racks up would be like the entire enemy team snowballing out of control, it wouldn't be fun to me.

idyemyhairbrown

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-25-2012

Great post. Love the ideas and I think it would be an improvement to the current system - although, as you noted, modding it would work great too.

iainB85

01-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malgana View Post
The problem with this is that gaining gold gain permanently off of killing turrets is called "Snowballing"

Riot likes the "underdog" team to have options, and if the enemy team rush pushes all 3 of your turrets, they've snowballed to a point of no return since there is no way to counter that x3 turret gold they're gaining, and will lead to one team dominating the other for the entire game and will give more cause for surrenders, which is never fun.

IMO, it would turn this game into HoN, where the game is pretty much decided once a hero has 5 kills or so, since they just snowball out of control and hyper carry the game.
Having more turret kills then defending while your gold racks up would be like the entire enemy team snowballing out of control, it wouldn't be fun to me.
That is why I opted for an over time bonus rather than flat raising the the value of towers to make them more appealing. It gives a team to get organized and launch an assault of their own. If they lose three towers and can't come back with any at all, then they are messing up pretty bad anyways.

I'd rather a team play well and get a decisive win than what the current late game turns into ... whoever manages to 1 shot the carries first gets the win, and teams roam as 5 afraid to engage for 15 minutes before someone finally gets caught. That point of the game can get pretty frustrating, in my opinion.

Draydan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-25-2012

Yeah last-hitting and alikes are skills which need skill blablabla.

But the main problem with last-hitting and other such archaic mechanics is one - they are NOT SPECTACULAR.
They do not create an interesting to watch perfomance!

I'd prefer laning with more harass and tactical skirmishes.

I'd prefer other measurements of skill to be deciding.

Remove lasthitting. Give us more skillshots. Give us more terrain types. Give us trees ffs!

HolyExLxF

01-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by draydan View Post
but the main problem with last-hitting and other such archaic mechanics is one - they are not spectacular.
They do not create an interesting to watch perfomance!
Then stop watching League.

Here's the core of the counter argument: If you remove last hitting, it isn't the same game. It's not even close. It's a hollow snowball gametype that is extremely uninteresting and shallow.

HandheldBrandon

01-26-2012

2 of my biggest concerns so far from reading this.

1.Heavy push teams who destroy towers early on will put them selves at a serious advantage forcing the other team to now double their efforts in farming to keep up.

2. Your picture of the gold rewards should reward no extra gold in the enemies base because if you are that far into the enemies base you now suddenly get champions snowballing beyond belief while the enemy team will very quickly lose any chance they have of a comeback. Your basically punishing players for losing and rewarding players for winning. It will make one side extremely unhappy and the otherside have an extremely easier time giving a serious one sided advantage.

Albatrosspro

01-26-2012

Anyone else seeing this as a genre discussion? What I mean is-- OK, no more last hitting, just a bunch of characters killing each other on screen. It's then what, like, Mortal Kombat 5v5?

SuzukuKun

01-26-2012

So you're proposing a dominion styled game...
That's the worst idea ever

9Point

01-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyExLxF View Post
Then stop watching League.

Here's the core of the counter argument: If you remove last hitting, it isn't the same game. It's not even close. It's a hollow snowball gametype that is extremely uninteresting and shallow.
Wait the most interesting unshallow game is one where there is expert last hitter?

The ideal is a complete stalemate.

Sounds as fun as watching grass grow. You should try it. It has all the same mechanics as last hitting.

Sit-n-Stand gameplay .

P.S. i like how not only is this one of the most active and creative threads i have seen, and no Red response. I would be surprised, but then again. Its not a priority.

FilthyCasual

01-26-2012

Not just talking **** here but I believe everyone who does not like the idea of last hitting probably suck at last hitting.

Taking out last hitting takes out a part of skill in this game further "casualizing" it and making it o.k. to suck.

Taking out last hitting would also make "poking" much less useful. When someone has to last hit they have to run the risk that the opponent will get aggressive and "poke" or even engage them. Taking out last hitting would probably just turn the game into sit by the minions until the laning phase is over.