Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

I'm saying it: Last hitting is an archaic game mechanic

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DoctorMcPain

01-18-2012

The mechanics of the MOBA genre are centered around the act of lasthitting creeps. If you remove this from a MOBA game, it's not a MOBA game any longer.

Khristophoros

The Council

01-18-2012

Quote:
Jiz Khalifa:
why would you make last hitting easier? it already got easier with the new masteries like executioner

Honestly I think this whole topic is the worst suggestion Ive ever read. why even argue with tanks. there are gp5 items and runes/masteries for a reason.

It's hard for most players. The majority of players simply aren't good at the game. This is just a fact we have to accept.

Making it easier in general would not really change the skillcap for laning though. The fact is that good players don't have trouble last hitting at all. It's very easy for them. The interaction it creates in lane is still there but the mechanical action is trivial.

So it should just be trivial and easy for everyone, not just good players.

That's why.

Kyy909

01-18-2012

While CSing itself isn't a fun mechanic, I know why it is needed, it is a HUGE layer of the game....

A and B battling each other top, they exchange blows, but A also manages to collect CS during these fights while B is just tunnel visioned on fighting A.

The CSing WHILE fighting is what makes it a challenge, being able to focus on the map, the creeps fighting and your lane opponent is the layers of challenge.

A new player might strictly focus on fighting the opponent or be told to only focus on CS..... These players don't do well unless they learn to do it all at the same time.

Being passively rewarded while you tunnel vision your lane opponent isn't very layered.

BeardRex

01-18-2012

Quote:
ck64:
protip: dota 2 isn't by blizzard

You should read the thread. No one ever said dota2 was made by blizzard. The quote I quoted was replying to me talking about dota2. >_<

Gnirip

01-18-2012

ITT: People who can't last hit and harass.

Mendhi

01-18-2012

When I was starting LoL, I saw people doing the last-hitting thing and wondered what was going on, because it looked so dumb. They would just dance around 90% of the time and then shoot something for a kill...it didn't look like 'fighting' at all.

BeardRex

01-18-2012

All I can really say is that this is WHY THEY MADE DOMINION.

Kyy909

01-18-2012

Quote:
Mendhi:
When I was starting LoL, I saw people doing the last-hitting thing and wondered what was going on, because it looked so dumb. They would just dance around 90% of the time and then shoot something for a kill...it didn't look like 'fighting' at all.

This game should be less mash your face and more like chess.

Each move has a purpose towards the end goal. CSing is part of that goal, bullying your lane opponents is part of that as well.

You create small leads all over the map, till its large enough to overpower your enemy.

That few pots more he could afford on his buy over you, means he can bully and heal... or that dragon fight that resulted in them taking it.. that's gold for their team... The dragon gold will never win the game on its own, but it will push the game in that teams favour.

The game is about control, and applying pressure in the right places at the right time. It is strategic. As is the controlling of minions and last hitting. While it in itself is just a mechanical thing to do, HOW you go about doing it is very layered and complex.

OJ191

01-18-2012

If you remove last hitting as a mechanic, won't all farming type champions will become irelevant?

Pawleader

01-18-2012

Quote:
JaeLunatiiC:
am i the only on that finds last hitting kinda fun ?

No, but people who are bad at it probly don't find it fun.