I'm saying it: Last hitting is an archaic game mechanic

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

steelblacksky

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-20-2012

the key to dominion is kills?

kill focused dominion is like aram, if you can get both teams to agree to not touch towers you can have a 250ish kill deathmatch if you want.

saying this suggestion might be bad if globally forced is undeniably true. it may well be.
saying it shouldn't be an option available in some capacity, or that having it as an option for a game mode would destroy the game is equally untrue. simply having dominion or botmatches in the game does not destroy the skillcaps, or the game as a whole.

a lower skillmode option would certainly cater to at least some portion of the playerbase. consequently it may prove to demonstrate equal but different challenges as well. unlike something like an aram game however this cannot simply be agreed upon and kept to.

as to the time aspect, again 40 minutes to an hour for a match isn't best for everyone. actually looking at the cps/aps type players out there and their discussions compressing game events into a narrower time window is an entirely different type of challenge.

ideally in the fullness of time there are a lot of things that would make excellent optionals for the game.
a common argument around this point would be the ever popular but the dev's only have so much time.

so how many new skins and vaguely similar champions worth of dev effort is this worth?

the extra ram and cpu time serverside to track damage application timers on all minions instead of just proximity and lasthit if this mode were popular still strikes me as the more salient point.

Dyldit

01-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainB85 View Post
The fact that you think last hitting is so core to League of Legends that you compare it to aiming in a first person shooter makes me very sad. With all of the champion dynamics, lane choices, global objectives... and you think the defining thing in the game should be removing that last percent of the health bar on minions repeadetly? That is what defines skill? "Yuck!" is my response to that.
Creep Score is not the only skill defining part of league of legends, but neither is aiming the only skill in a FPS. What I am saying is that in every game there needs to be some kind of mechanic that separates the good from the bad, something that needs to be practiced. Everything else you mentioned separates the good from the great.

llMIMEll

01-20-2012

If you want free money for doing nothing go play dominion.

ts31

01-20-2012

Trying to get rid of last hitting in LoL, is kinda like playing chess, and skipping the opening because you think it's boring. That may be true, however that doesn't mean it's not necessary.

ChangWu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-20-2012

lol

Zidane

01-20-2012

Man, from what I've read of 20 pages nearly even supporter of doing away with last hitting is unranked. What a surprise that people who can't do something well in a game think that getting rid of it completely would magically make everything better.

iainB85

01-20-2012

So you believe the top 5% of the game should dictate what the masses should play? You must think pretty highly of yourself!

LOLDozer

01-20-2012

Gotta agree with the TS.

I'm not bad at last hitting (around around 55-65, depending on the character, by the 10 minute mark.) But it just feels so tedious. When people say we have a "tanky-dps" meta, I don't agree. We have a "farm as much CS as possible meta." The only things that change are how to accomplish that.

DotA was my least favorite AoS map on WC3. My favorite was a map that had two sides, with unique champions, in that, Team 1 had different champions than team 2. The map had about 15 total items to buy, most of them being around 450-700 gold, most dealing with health and mana. Then each champion had a "unique" item only they could buy.

That set up meant you weren't so focused on killing minions, because gold just wasn't that important due to the items being: 1. Cheap and 2. Not even that important.

Zidane

01-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainB85 View Post
So you believe the top 5% of the game should dictate what the masses should play? You must think pretty highly of yourself!
No, I just said I'm not surprised unskilled players want to get rid of a very skillful part of the game and I think that getting rid of skill in a game doesn't make it inherently better, even if people find it tedious.

Personally I enjoy last hitting, but just from what I've noticed, there is a distinct correlation of people who do want to get rid of that skill and the people who don't have that skill. I never said I'm perfect at last hitting or that only good players should decide anything.

Bigricky

01-20-2012

The top 5% should definitely dictate the balance and mechanics that the masses play. Only at the top levels, where people play mechanically sound, do imbalances really effect the actual gameplay.

This is because they have a much greater understanding of all aspects of the game when compared to someone of your skill level (barely maintaining a 1200 rating)

And I'm not saying that high level players know everything...it's easy for an imbalance to float under the radar for a long time simply because something is outside the FoTM or wildly misunderstood (think old mordekaiser)

It takes a certain mindset and way of thinking to do the proper self-evaluation required to be in the top <1% of players and to understand something in great depth. You may have this ability with certain activities...but I can assure you that LoL is not one of them (you are barely maintaining 1200 rating over 400 games).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLDozer View Post
Gotta agree with the TS.

I'm not bad at last hitting (around around 55-65, depending on the character, by the 10 minute mark.) But it just feels so tedious. When people say we have a "tanky-dps" meta, I don't agree. We have a "farm as much CS as possible meta." The only things that change are how to accomplish that.

DotA was my least favorite AoS map on WC3. My favorite was a map that had two sides, with unique champions, in that, Team 1 had different champions than team 2. The map had about 15 total items to buy, most of them being around 450-700 gold, most dealing with health and mana. Then each champion had a "unique" item only they could buy.

That set up meant you weren't so focused on killing minions, because gold just wasn't that important due to the items being: 1. Cheap and 2. Not even that important.
55-65cs in 10minutes isnt even average...I'm sorry but that is an atrociously poor ability to last hit...to put things into perspective, I have been in the top .026% of the playerbase in ranked soloqueue with an overall win rate of 70% before I quit and at 20 minutes I can consistently have between 180-240ish cs IN A CONTESTED LANE vs a player who is also in that same <1% of playerbase. I can also tell you for certain that laning isnt as cut-and-dry or "wack-a-mole" as the OP believes it to be.

When you're mechanically sound at anything, mechanics are second nature. I honestly stare at my mini-map almost more than I "watch hp bars waiting tediously to last hit". It's not "tedious", it's natural. The OP doesn't understand this and I don't honestly expect him, as a 1200 player, to understand.