Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Masteries/Runes/Items for new Jax?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GeneralSpank

01-17-2012

As the title states, whats the current best choice for Masteries/Runes/Items for Jax? I'm not entire sure how to build him. Pure AD, pure AP, or Hybrid/AS? Pure AD benefits Auto Attack, Q ability, and scaling on his Ultimate. Pure AP benefits extra bonus damage on Q, damage on W, and damage on Ultimate as well as the scaling portion. Hybrid/AS gives decent amount of AD/AP while providing some attack speed. All choices build at least 2 defense items as well.

Pure AD example:
Merc Treads
Bloodthirster
Trinity Force
Last Whisper
Banshee's veil/Frozen Heart/Frozen Mallet
Guardian Angel

Pure AP example:
Merc Treads
Lich Bane
Rylais
Death Cap
Abyssal/Hour Glass/Void Staff
GA

Hybrid/AS example:
Merc Treads
Rageblade
Gunblade
Nashors Tooth
Frozen Mallet
GA

What's everyone's opinion? I'm curious to other options too, I just wanna play jax to his fullest. Thanks.

GeneralSpank

01-17-2012

Anyone?

Warrrrax

01-18-2012

Ill bite. I belive AP is pretty much dead. Jax just doesn't seem to get as much benefit as he used to from AP. Before, he got more health from AP money-wise vs AD.

BUt now that is gone and his AP ratios are even less than previous. So I would think Jax will mostly go tanky AD now. He might take the odd hybrid item like Rageblade, Nashers tooth, or Gunblade but I think those will be rare.

With his free health gone, Id focus more on defense than previously. He gets a big AS steroid as well as onhit damage boosts. So he deals solid damage even with pure tank items. Therefore he only needs a few offensive items and is good to go.

Ive played dominion with Entrophy, Ionic boots, and hextech sweeper then thornmail... kind of odd but my first priority was the Snare, high AD, maxed CDR, and decent survivability.

The snare is really useful for Jax. I am considering TriForce as well since he can trigger triforce damage proc very often and the speed boost seems really really valuable on him. But then Id need a lot of survivability.

I think Defense mastery is the way to go. He doesnt really build Crit so Offense AD tree isnt ideal. Utility isnt really needed.
So I take 3 offense (+3 AD), 21 Defense, 6 utility (less dead time and movespeed). That gives me 14% CDR at 18 with 6% from blues.

Id like to try out Nashers now too as the extra AS helps his onhit damage, plus the AP and CDR are pretty usable, and its even more efficient now.

I would not worry about penetration though since Jax deals both magical and physical damage. Myabe you could go with the hybrid runes, but you wont be getting either penetration from items, so I woudnt recommend it.

Hideous Z

01-18-2012

Eh. I don't know if I agree. While going straight AP probably isn't viable like you used to be able to if needed, hybrid still works. His empower benefits from it more than anything, and while the ratio isn't amazing its cooldown is now low enough that pumping damage into it is worth doing.

Straight AD is more viable post-patch though, so probably just play it by ear depending on what team needs.

Rageblade and Gunblade, imo, are still pretty powerful Jax items.

This is a partially formed opinion after playing a handful of games with the new Jax.

Destabilizator

Recruiter

01-18-2012

2Warrrax: as for atkspd item (Nashor's/Malady/Ionic Spark) - it was always much better than Rageblade (I used to go Gunblade - Malady or SotD on old Jax), because it let's you ramp up stacks from your passive much faster.

As for the rest, you both seem reasonable. I haven't tried new Jax yet, since I'm a bit skeptical.

Warrrrax

01-18-2012

I agree that Ive never been a fan of rageblade. That basically just gives him the same disadvantage twice over, but doubles his continuous attack advantage. I agree that Id rather give him a flat AS booster to get things going quicker. I was just pointing out that we will still see those items on Jaxes.

I still think Nashers is going to be strong since it gained about +300 gold worth of efficiency and the insta-maxing CDR is sweet. I didnt like it before because it didnt help the health passive all that much. But with that gone, this isn't so much of a concern.

Im still a bit concerned about him needing more tanky items and when to get them though. I'd like to try TriForce and Nashers but that puts me with weak AD and little survivability.