How does it calculate Elo loss/gain?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ZuKii

07-18-2010

I just played a game with my friend Rygura. He had Elo 1506, I was 1505.
He went like 1/3/4 as Warwick and I went 14/1/2 as Ezreal.

At the end of the game he gets +21 Elo and I get +16. Why is this? Surely if it was done because of my k/d/a I should've got more? Was it because I picked first and he picked 2nd?

Anyone know the reason?

Yell0wKing

07-18-2010

It's possible that it's because you have played the game longer/more than him.

ZuKii

07-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse That View Post
It's possible that it's because you have played the game longer/more than him.
We were in the same game.
This isn't anything to do with how skilled we are. It's to do with the +Elo we got at the end of the match.

Yell0wKing

07-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuKii View Post
We were in the same game.
I meant LoL as a whole, not just that single game. Join date is a factor in calculating ELO.

ZenithZephyr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-18-2010

Streaks may affects Elo gains and losses. Not sure but some ranking systems factor that to get players more quickly to where they need to be.

Also, relative Elo before the game starts. Defeating a team who's average Elo is much higher than yours gives a large boost to Elo, and beating a team who's Elo is way lower doesn't boost it much at all.

If you have 1358 elo, and beat a team who's Elo averages out to 1332, the logic behind the algorithms is "This guy had a slight, slight advantage, but it was mostly even, we'll move him up a small bit in Elo ranking to give him mildly harder opponents".

Your friend's elo is 1178 (second game, after getting paired with 4 feeders game one). The logic is then "Wow, this guy beat opponent's who's Elo is way higher. We'll increase his Elo a large amount to get him closer to where his skill lies, but we're not going to shoot him directly to the 1300's, just in case it was a fluke."

ZuKii

07-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenithZephyr View Post
Streaks may affects Elo gains and losses. Not sure but some ranking systems factor that to get players more quickly to where they need to be.

Also, relative Elo before the game starts. Defeating a team who's average Elo is much higher than yours gives a large boost to Elo, and beating a team who's Elo is way lower doesn't boost it much at all.

If you have 1358 elo, and beat a team who's Elo averages out to 1332, the logic behind the algorithms is "This guy had a slight, slight advantage, but it was mostly even, we'll move him up a small bit in Elo ranking to give him mildly harder opponents".

Your friend's elo is 1178 (second game, after getting paired with 4 feeders game one). The logic is then "Wow, this guy beat opponent's who's Elo is way higher. We'll increase his Elo a large amount to get him closer to where his skill lies, but we're not going to shoot him directly to the 1300's, just in case it was a fluke."
If you read OP you'd see his Elo is actually 1 point higher than mine. Or was before he got given more after the win.

Only thing that might make sense is the streak but then why would you get less for being on streak? Since we duo queue a lot we also had roughly the same streak before the game.

We also joined LoL at around the same time.

TheWorstEver

07-18-2010

It's obviously because you are a woman. Or a minority.

You are receiving less benefits than your friend who is probably a white male.

Who REALLY understands how Elo works anyways? It's more like....guesstimating.

ZenithZephyr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-18-2010

I have no evidence that Riot uses any system as the following, but his is what I'm driving at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TrueSkill

Crappo

07-18-2010

Post this in my anti-dispersion question thread!

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=171123

It also contains a nifty quote from Zileas that makes your lower +elo seem even more mysterious..

0rangeSoda

Recruiter

07-18-2010

Its based on who you played against
he was probably against tougher (higher rated) opponents
thus he got more points

also Elo has nothing to do with K/D?A