Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

"Proven" or decent Kogmaw guide?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

S0Stronk

01-16-2012

Ive been playing him quite a bit lately. Ive been googling around for his rune/mastery builds. Seems most guides give an almost pure AD carry build for him. But I have found him quite weak late game. I can get top K/D/A for first 30 minutes in game. After that the score drops of dramatically. I played a game that went for just over 70 minutes yesterday and I raped early-mid game and got raped in the late game. My Score mid game was like 14/2/12 and by the end of the game it ended up like 15/14/21. The AD builds just dont seem to go well. You get like 200AD in a long game whilst other AD carries like Garen/Vayne can get well over 300AD. Sure his abilites are useful, but not as useful in long games compared to what the AD gives you. Does anyone know a decent "hybrid" guide for Kog that is proven to work well for any duration of a game?

Astral Yorae

Recruiter

01-16-2012

Ho there S0Stronk.
Kog is one of the champs I enjoy very much. For him, I calculated a built that best fits my style and I have a lot of fun with it:

Runes:
Marks and Quintesseces (Atk Speed): +25.5% Atk Speed
Seals (Flat Armor): +13 Armor
Glyphs (MR/Lvl): +24 MR at lvl 18

Items (they are not in order):
1) Madred Bloodrazor (DPS and armor)
2) Malady (DPS and lower MR)
3) Abyssal Scepter (Resist and lower MR)
4) Berserker Boots (DPS and mobility) OR Phantom Dancer (lower mobility but higher DPS)
5) Frozen Mallet or Rilay (Surviability and slow to keep your foe more time inside range)
6) FREE (Nashor Tooth or Black Cleaver usually)

Summoner Spells:
-Cleanse (to scape from CC)
-Ghost Walk (to run when not attacking)

The key point of this build is to use your Q along with Malady and Abyssal, to drop your foe MR by -69; Usually if your foe don't get MR items, you will set him into negative, and with your %HP damage will make it melt in few attacks.
I don't care much about mobility with items. The time you are attacking you can't run, so, I prefer to have my main speed boost via Ghost Walk and use items for damage and resistances. I often swap boots with PD. If you get PD as boots, you can even sacrifice Nashor from "Free" item and grab Trinity instead. Trinity can give some physical damage with the Sheen active and some more HP.
With this build you don't have the lifesteal sustain from the Physical DPS version, but you can kill even faster. The secret is good positioning. Of course, it works better with a competent team. Your lack of sustain could work well with a support and/or tanker protecting you.

If I remember right, when full built at lvl 18, I had arround:
2500+ HP
110+ Armor AND MR
2.3~2.5 Atk Speed

That's how I like to play him. I am not saying it's the best way or better than the physical damage one. I just find this setup effective, fun and that it fits his design better.

Astral Yorae

Carados

01-17-2012

On-Hit has been dead for quite some time. It's not good anymore, and people are behind the times. If you want to build tanky and do damage (the entire point of on-hit) you want to build Atmas and as much HP as you can fit into your build.

Also, don't get Nashor's Tooth on Kog'Maw. It's really bad.

As is building AP on an on-hit build. Choose one or the other, don't do both.

Here's how the top ranked player builds Kog'Maw.
http://solomid.net/guides.php?g=5687 (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/redirect.php?do=verify&redirect_url=http%3A%2F%2Fsolomid.net%2Fguides.php%3Fg%3D5687)

Warrrrax

01-17-2012

The 2 main builds are OnHit/AS and AD.

OnHit/AS is very strong midgame and endgame because it takes advantage of Kogs huge onHit damage which vs a 3k foe will be 180. Clearly with that kind of built in damage, boosting Attack Speed is going to be the most efficient sustained DPS booster. The build deals mostly magical damage with some physical. Magical being harder to itemize against, but doesnt always fit well as an AD carry if physical dmg is truly needed.

AD Kog is stronger early game since you can last hit better and take Dorans Blade with a healing support. This gives you better harassment early due to armor penetration and high base damage, because your magical dmg from W is very weak early game.
However, midgame will be only so-so as AS/onhit is simply more efficient according to spreadsheet analysis. AD catches up, but only at around the 12,000+ gold mark.

From what Ive seen, AD is more popular with top players, probably because of early game being really important, and they have more rigid metagame which requires Physical damage out of their AD carry. Personally, I always play AS-onhit Kog. At lower ELO Ive found that it allows me to outdamage most other champs and thus ramp up faster.

Stiler

01-17-2012

lol, "on hit dead."

A kogmaw with madreds/malady will CHEW through a tank fast, but on the flip side, he is squishy and can be focused with cc and a team that puts it all on him.

Warrrrax

01-18-2012

Sure... hence the extreme range of Kog. Besides, with Wits End he has a substantial MR boost. I like phage->mallet as well for the snare and health bonus as needed.