Sejuani and female champs

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Space Lizard

01-13-2012

Attractive women are good.
NOBODY IS ARGUING THAT.

Scantily clad women are fine. (Not a stubborn UGH FINE but a neutral fine.)

Scantily clad attractive women are good and fine.

Scantily clad attractive women who are scantily clad in direct opposition to their concept are boring. There are thousands of those, we've seen them all before, and they look like nothing but a marketing ploy. Those are not fine.

Cassiopeia is scantily clad. She's a great champ.
Ahri is attractive, without being scantily clad. She's one of my favorite female champs art direction wise.
Sivir is attractive AND scantily clad. She has a huntress, amazoness thing going on like Nidalee and it works enough with her genre that it's acceptable.
Sejuani is attractive and scantily clad, far moreso than Tryn, Olaf, and Ashe who are other characters from the north, and the fact she is scantily clad works AGAINST her concept.

I don't care that she's scantily clad really. I care that the she's scantily clad for the sake of being scantily clad. She's boring. she's generic. Viktor was exciting because he looked unique and had a unique kit. Sejuani does not look unique, and does not have a unique kit. She is an unbelievably boring champion.

Except her boar. I love her boar.

imalx

01-13-2012

So you want a "Gragas" type female character?
Could be funny.

Scrincer

01-13-2012

this thread is ridiculous, i think riot shouldnt listen to the offended people.

why no complaint aboit cat women in batman ?

ZenonTheStoic

Champion Designer

01-13-2012
20 of 21 Riot Posts

I have absolutely nothing to add to this conversation other than that I'm unreasonably happy with how civil and smart it's been. The way women are portrayed in games is a bit of a favourite rant-topic for me. I love when creators challenge what is considered the "norm", and I totally get why we're very careful how we design our female champions (and for the record, I think we've been doing very well so far.), but if there's one team in the industry I could see smartly pushing the envelope, it's the guys here.

It really helps to work here when you're a huge fan of the game. And the community

Loc

01-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUlf View Post
I dunno man, the folks over at blizzard seem to have gotten pretty decent at not insulting the female form.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/media/artwork/?view#/artwork-0097
I'm really glad you mentioned the female Barbarian of Diablo III. She's one of my favorite examples of a powerful but attractive female character. Although I must say, so long as ostensibly active female characters are running around in high heels (such as the evolved stilettos in Kerrigan, or the armored heels on the backflipping female Demon Hunter), Blizzard will still have some ways to go.

I've been following the progression of this thread silently, and I just would like to say I find it extremely amusing that people are talking more about the way champions are dressed than their body types, as was the original topic. Also, that people keep assuming I was implying that we need to stop making champions that are attractive. Far from it, I think we can all agree that people like looking at pretty things. My point was that there are man different kinds of pretty, and some of those types should be represented when more appropriate than a conventionally attractive, thin, busty physique. And that isn't to say that we can have that particular type, but I think it'd be better if it wasn't the only type we see in female characters.

Grimwolff

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasado View Post
Say what you want, you are not the demographic that represents the entirety of LoL players.
I'd argue and say I'm the demographic that represents the majority of LoL players though.

MileyCyrusBAKING

01-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loc View Post
I'm really glad you mentioned the female Barbarian of Diablo III. She's one of my favorite examples of a powerful but attractive female character. Although I must say, so long as ostensibly active female characters are running around in high heels (such as the evolved stilettos in Kerrigan, or the armored heels on the backflipping female Demon Hunter), Blizzard will still have some ways to go.

I've been following the progression of this thread silently, and I just would like to say I find it extremely amusing that people are talking more about the way champions are dressed than their body types, as was the original topic. Also, that people keep assuming I was implying that we need to stop making champions that are attractive. Far from it, I think we can all agree that people like looking at pretty things. My point was that there are man different kinds of pretty, and some of those types should be represented when more appropriate than a conventionally attractive, thin, busty physique. And that isn't to say that we can have that particular type, but I think it'd be better if it wasn't the only type we see in female characters.
like WHAT OTHER BODY TYPE?
THERE'S ONLY ONE PEOPLE WOULD WANT TO SEE, SMALL BREASTS AND STILL THIN, AND THEN YOU HAVE EZREAL, THE SILHOUETTE PROBLEM.

THERE IS NO OTHER VIABLE BODY TYPE.

WHY DO YOU JUST DISCOUNT TRISTANA AND POPPY? WHAT ABOUT ORIANNA? SHE'S NOT REALLY BUSTING OUT. LUX? WTF?

GOD, PEOPLE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ARGUMENT ARE JUST PROGRAMMED ****S, **** YOU

GIVE ME IRELIA IN A ****ING BIKINI ALREADY

OpticalShadow

01-13-2012

stepping aside from the armor discussion, iron, we have other champions that fit better as good examples, look at lux, she fits that typicall representation of females while being fully clothed and being easily reconized as female. her bust isnt obnoxious and her clothing more or less fits with what oyu would exspect whatever she is to use.

then their are champions like mf, whos in game character modle tend to be fine, but splash art can be a bit over sexy.

honestly, ingame, the models are not all that bad, i think the real problem is the splash art, where as ingame ig et the need for a easyly defineing gender. the splash art gets just absurd, like morganas art, her brests are like warheads being raised from the silo in launch preperation.

Finly Erkenwald

01-13-2012

Edited my original post with an actual attachment, but since that was a few pages back and likely not to be seen at this point, I wanted to post it again here.

Genie, from the Rune Soldier series, is an example of a female melee fighter, and I think the muscle definition is appropriate to the character, since she is wielding what is clearly a fairly heavy weapon (I would not expect muscles like this on someone using a rapier, for example):

Grimwolff

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finly Erkenwald View Post
Edited my original post with an actual attachment, but since that was a few pages back and likely not to be seen at this point, I wanted to post it again here.

Genie, from the Rune Soldier series, is an example of a female melee fighter, and I think the muscle definition is appropriate to the character, since she is wielding what is clearly a fairly heavy weapon (I would not expect muscles like this on someone using a rapier, for example):
Look at her outfit, still skimpy even with muscles. This will not please all the QQers.