Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Sejuani and female champs

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Reaganomics

01-13-2012

Quote:
Maikky:
There are other ways to tell a champions gender, if she wore giant plate armor but here head was exposed with long hair / etc we could easily tell that its a her .

Also voice acting (Even though most of the female champions have little to no difference in voice)

I'm actually going to disagree on the first point in this Anime inspired era.

Many fantasy males have long hair and are often depicted as ambiguous pretty much ever since Final Fantasy 7 hit store shelves. While I agree that long hair helps for the more conventional western audience and player, when you are dealing with the age groups this game is dealing with and what they have been exposed too the idea that "long hair = girl" may not be the best guideline to follow.

This is especially true when we have champs like Riven (Who I think is actually one of the BETTER designed female champs in terms of strength + femininity) who has short hair as do many women around the world.

So in truth I'm not sure what you can do about it... but just going with hair alone doesn't seem like a good fix to me.

I will agree though about the female voice acting, most of the ladies sound very similar. Though I have been watching many foreign films (that are dubbed over) and I have seen over 200 different Anime (most of which I have seen in English and Japanese) and I don't think this is a problem with the voice company Riot is working with. I have noticed over the years that females "SEEM" (and I say "seem" to not offend) to have less range in the voice acting departing. I don't know what this is exactly but in truth when I watch Anime in the Japanese language I swear that there are only four different Voice types and even the English adaptions don't do much better in the variety.

However this could be a character issue as opposed to a voice issue, IE certain characters archetypes have voices that match. In reality there are only so many ways you can have "Non-distinct sexy white girl" sound and have it still fit the character being portrayed. One fix would too simply not have every girl in this game be "Non-distinct sexy white girl" (The few asian females and Karma not withstanding) and throw in some variety with race and the like.

TLDR: Hair is not enough too tell a characters gender as many women have short hair and many men, especially in fantasy/sci-fi, have long hair.

Voice acting needs diversity but I feel it is more of a fault of the characters being portrayed as opposed too the voice actors themselves. IE you can only have so many voices sound appropriate for Generic Sexy White Fantasy girl.

Ben Caxton

01-13-2012

Quote:
Gadalar:
Anivia Nidalee nor Shyvanna count? o,O

Anivia and Nidalee are just animals, one not even all the time. Shyvanna is only a monster for her ult.

Also, none of them are really "monstrous" or "horrific" like Kog'maw, Cho'gath, Skarner, etc.

shadowMACK

01-13-2012

the thing is if riot had of made her slightly more muscular from the start no one would even notice. but becuase they made her have *** apeal all of you complain about it. in the wise words of the futurama god. " When you do someting right, people wont be sure youve done any thing at all.

Blindsorcerer

01-13-2012

Quote:
IronStylus:
Excellent points!

I think even for the actual champion art this could open up new ways to make the female champions of LoL appeal to the player base. Completely covered in armor, but long flowing hair and beautiful face? Definitely more appealing than the usual outfits where how much skin is show is all that matters.

Quintessence

01-13-2012

Quote:
shadowMACK:
the thing is if riot had of made her slightly more muscular from the start no one would even notice. but becuase they made her have *** apeal all of you complain about it. in the wise words of the futurama god. " When you do someting right, people wont be sure youve done any thing at all.

that was probably the best and most insightful episode of a show ever.

Raptoreyes

01-13-2012

Quote:
DarkOrchid:
Not that much of a mystery. Trying to create an attractive female for the masses. Easier to do so in such a way. Not that it is that big of a deal.

If you are talking about her this much, this mean she will be a big success then since she will be massively popular on release.

Karma ehh was the exact opposite reaction. PPl forgot her in two days.

Well Karma was pretty much dead on arrival for a host of reasons.

1-- Yes she wears too much clothing to give guys "wood". This alone reduces the amount of players that will consider playing her even out of the small community of players that will willingly play support in solo queue.

2-- What really kills her is she is a support character and those have never been popular with a crowd that wants to be the hero not the side kick. Support is not very rewarding psychologically while carries and tanky dps are much more so.

3-- Karma might have survived even points 1 and 2 but to top it off she is a support that needs farm but lacks long range skills to get that farm (same problem Poppy has but at least Poppy can carry if you can somehow avoid feeding during the lane phase) and must stand on top of things she intends to farm which is very risky. This makes her skill cap rather high and even high end players tend to find her annoying to play in a team setting to to her farming requirements while mid tier players just cannot use her effectively after playing 15 or so games with her. Most people give up due to annoyance long before they reach the skill breakpoints needed to make the character pay off in either fun or wins.

FlyinLettuceBr0s

01-13-2012

Sivir = counter argument.

Phocis

01-13-2012

I don't think it's THAT important to always know the gender at first glance.

One of my favorite charters is Samus simply because, at first glance it's hella hard to know her gender.

But then if her suit is off, well you have the other extreme.

Zkaiser

01-13-2012

Can we just get a chick with muscles? I want a female with an amazonian body type. Like Serena Williams or something.

CrusherKawajiri

01-13-2012

GIVE US MORE SOCCER LEGS(HOPE SOLO), NOT "ASIAN GIRL LEGS" (SKINNY).

uncaps