Sejuani and female champs

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rustmaker

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaxtenn View Post
"Sax sells" does not mean sax is the only thing that sells. (Yes, I am talking about saxophones.)

Does every female have to look like a Barbie, with a chainmail bikini and bare shoulders and thighs? Is this literally the only thing people want to see?

I think it's just self-perpetuating marketing bull****. People in marketing, or creative directors or whoever, have spent so long convincing themselves that "the demographic" wants to see this, that now everyone's bought into it.

It annoys me that male champions get designs ranging from Gragas to Blitzcrank to Fiddlesticks to Shaco, while 100% of female champions released in the last 18 months are an identical figure with a different wig and weapon.
Well technically Blitzcrank is a genderless robot that happens to have a male voice, but that's beside the point.

I'm pretty sure this has been posted already, but what pissed me off most is the total impracticality of Seijuani's model design for the type of role she is supposed to play. If she's supposed to be from a freezing cold climate, why the heck is she is wearing so little clothing? It's not even a question of misogyny or pandering to the popular demographic, it doesn't remotely make any sense practically.

In Riot's defense, they have made awesome female champions that have legitimately interesting looking characterstics outside of their bust-size. The first time I saw Kayle, I wasn't entirely sure she was female until I saw the Unmasked skin. Also, Cassiopeia's design is an amazing blend of beautiful and toxic. The best part is, BOTH these characters' designs fit perfectly with their lore and background. In comparison, Sejuani's appearance seems generic and a wasted opportunity to showcase how women from the frozen tundra of Freljord might fight.

PS - I <3 that boar though, great job! :P

Maximilian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-12-2012

When you limit the characters to ones that are actually human.. the males are pretty idealized too lol. I find the same number of males and females that fit stereotypes in the human category.

Perhaps what your looking for is more non-human females, lol. Most of the variety in the male champions strictly comes from the fact that they aren't human...

I'm not gonna side step the obvious here, the gaming community is primarily male, from a marketing stand point it is more profitable for them to work to attract the male audience.

I wouldn't target smokers with smoking adds... I would market for the non-smokers, why? It is how the world works... This is a silly thread with a really quite obvious answer.

Tru2

01-12-2012

You know what. I want more Dragon champions and a giant fungus champions. But guess what, i;m not worried about it because its a video game and the appearance of the champions doesn't effect anything about my opinion of the game. Because i have a life, and am accepting of the creativity already proposed by the company. I'm going to be ok when a champion comes out that looks a piece of moldy bacon as long as its kit is enjoyable.

You're aesthetically based needs are pathetic and sadden me and make me lose faith in my generation. I hope your happy.

MandyMemory

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaxtenn View Post
Does every female have to look like a Barbie
I don't think we've had many champions that look like a Barbie. MF possibly, but her breasts are a bit small to be a Barbie.

Most champions are well within the realm of possibility. Not only possibility, but several people I work with have much more "unrealistic" bodies than the champions.

Zink

01-13-2012

would you rathe rhave a fat chick?

no? k theres your answer.

edit: i dont get it, id rather have a hot babe than a fat chick as a champion, all im saying.

and there are tomboyish/warrior champs, look at poppy and leona.

Kaukau

01-13-2012

No one seems to be mentioning Soraka? You know, the star calling unicorn lady, with that massive arm..that she got from throwing bananas at people.

Sanya

01-13-2012

This complaint again. I don't get you people.

Rustmaker

01-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2 View Post
You know what. I want more Dragon champions and a giant fungus champions. But guess what, i;m not worried about it because its a video game and the appearance of the champions doesn't effect anything about my opinion of the game. Because i have a life, and am accepting of the creativity already proposed by the company. I'm going to be ok when a champion comes out that looks a piece of moldy bacon as long as its kit is enjoyable.

You're aesthetically based needs are pathetic and sadden me and make me lose faith in my generation. I hope your happy.
I don't really see the problem with us (the consumers) having a say in the products that Riot expects us to invest the time and/or money in. Aesthetic decisions can make or break sales and Riot knows this; it's why people buy skins even though they have no impact on gameplay, it can be the driving force behind why people buy a champ (eg I bought Graves, knowing nothing about his abilities, because I <3 Spaghetti Westerns) and it is why we are having discussion in the first place.

It is in Riot's best interests to listen to what we have to say and, for the most part, they do :P

God Karthus NA

01-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
...Challenge Accepted.
YES.

I shall have high expectations because you got my hopes up.

Alex3omg

01-13-2012

Karma has a modest outfit and isn't all..curvy... just realistic and tasteful.

Excellent design there. More like this please?

Or at the very least give champions who are dressed ****ty a "pretty/tasteful/realisticarmour" skin. At least one.

As for hot guy champs.. yea. Streetraty Talon has dem eyes but his outfit is dumb as hell. Rugged Garen has it goin' on in all the right places though. And I think Malzahar is pretty much a home run in the sexy department, though he's..kinda.....creepy. :/ so idk.