[Guide]Jungle Evelynn - Ultimate Ganker Rise in ELO, Be Feared!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Karusan

07-16-2010

I. Introduction
II. Why Evelynn?
III. Setup - Runes/Masteries
IV. Early game and first ganks
V. Helping your team
VI. Conclusion

I. Introduction

Welcome to my first guide on League of Legends. This guide will be about how to play Jungle Evelynn. I've played Eve in almost 400 games and know her pretty much in and out. I am a level 30 summoner with fully equipped runes to fill any role in the game. Evelynn is by far my favorite character of all that I've played because of the fear that she can put in people when she is fed. The reason people underestimate her is that she does have the hardest early game of any other character and if she is shut down, she never catches up and is useless. This guide will ensure that never happens.

II. Why Evelynn?

Why play Eve when she is considered trash tier by most? The answer is simple; jungling her makes her the ultimate ganker early game and will give your team a very great advantage in a way that no other character can. Not only do you give your team two solo lanes to increase experience, but her insane spike burst damage, high movespeed, and stealth ensure that you will be a dominant and feared presence in every game.

It is not feasible to ward lanes before Evelynn makes her first appearance because she can easily just ignore that lane and continue jungling and get stronger and stronger as you keep wasting money on stealth detection.

Evelynn is a ganker that can strike undetected and can become an absolute monster in team fights if you follow this guide and play her well, regardless of stealth detection. Her biggest downfall is when she falls behind in levels and becomes too squishy to contribute in team fights because she gets shot down too quickly. As long as you are on par in levels with everybody else, you are surprisingly hard to take down with minor survivability items because of your huge movespeed.

It is your job to be vigilant and check for wards and oracles every single time somebody appears on the map after being mia for more than a few seconds. You must be scanning the lanes at all times, watching for wards to be dropped, and watching enemies' behavior. You only get one chance every few minutes to gank because of the timer on your ignite, so you have to make every appearance count. After level 6 and you get your ultimate, you can begin moving from gank to gank because of the health refill passive, catalyst's passive, as well as golem's blue buff.

Your goal as Eve is to end the game as quickly as possible, before your enemies can farm up enough gold to effectively counter you. Before the 25 minute mark, you're actually quite difficult to counter unless your teammates feed because your enemies need their core builds to deal with the other four members of your team. If you follow my guide, it will help you do just this.

III. Runes and Masteries

Jungling Eve does not require any special runes or masteries besides standard caster setups. A simple 9/0/21 mastery setup gives you everything you need -- mana regen, cooldown reduction, and spell penetration. Make sure you pick up the smite mastery from the offense tree, as well as presence of the master, and buff masteries from the utility tree.
You will need magic penetration reds, scaling mana regen yellows and scaling cooldown blues, and flat health quints. For spells, you will want Smite to speed up your jungling to level as fast as solo lanes, and Ignite to seal the kill. The nerf to cleanse makes ignite far better and helps you gank healing targets like taric, kayle, and soraka with ease.

IV. Early game and first ganks

Your core build will end up being Rod of Ages for the survivability and AP, mercury treads for resistance to CC, and finally lich bane to synergise with your melee style and high AP. Normally the game is over before you finish your lich bane because the enemies are starved of gold and are forced to surrender. If the game is still going, pick up a survivability item like Force of nature, Banshee Veil, or Thornmail, depending on who the biggest threat is. Change out the Rod of Ages for a Banshee in any game with Twisted Fate or Blitzcrank because their initiation abilities -will- kill you if they hit. TF's ultimate will reveal you if you're stealthed, but if you have a banshee shield up, it will not. Blitz's grab will not work on you either.

Start the game with mana crystal and 2 red potions. Get hate spike level 1 to start with. Start at the golem camp, use smite, and finish them off, popping hatespike as often as you can and using 1 health potion. You will be level 2 after this, so grab level 1 Ravage, and head to the wolf camp, taking them out quickly with ravage and hatespikes. Depending on how lucky crits the wolves get you will either be able to move to the wraith spawn or be forced to heal. You will need about 150 HP to kill the lesser wraiths, and your smite should be up by now, so use it on the blue wraith and kill the lesser red ones with ravage and hatespike.

Your highest priority is Ravage for the surprise burst from stealth, and the reduction in armor/MR for your allies to take them down as fast as they can. Keep moving in a circle between golems, wolves, and wraiths until you are level four, which should not take long at all. Most people in duo lanes will be level 2-3 by now if you were lucky with low crits from wolves, and you are ready to gank. Spec 1 level in stealth at level four, looking at the map for the weakest target with the fewest escape mechanisms. Work with your allies to take them down, and with the help of your stun and burst damage, most targets will go down rather easily. You must have the opportunity arise to gank and should be jungling as much as possible to remain off the map. Your first item priorities will be Sapph -> level 1 movespeed boots -> Ruby Crystal -> Catalyst -> Mercury treads. Catalyst is an amazing item for nearly every character and will help you stay in the jungle without recalling at all. After these items are complete, get your sheen, then finish your rod of ages, then complete lich bane if the game isn't over.

Skill priority is Ult for movespeed bonus and passive -> Ravage -> Hatespike -> Stealth.

By level 6 you will be able to take red and blue buffs with no issues at all and will transform you into a beastly ganker able to take many champs 1v1 from full health.

V. Helping your team

At this point, you will either be the same level, or will out level your opponents, giving you a huge advantage. By the time you are 7-10, wards and oracles are not a threat as long as you wait for allies to initiate the fight and run in after they are injured and seal the deal. Always wait after ganks to make sure that your allies are safe and take advantage of the enemies' death by knocking their tower down with your ultimate. A good Eve is proactive and helps gank before being asked to and looks for opportunities at all times. Remember that before level 6 is your weakest point in the game, and its possible a gank will fail and you will die. It's ok; just go back to jungling and make sure that the 20-30 seconds of downtime is made up for by leveling up. Getting the buffs is really important to your job because of how much they increase your damage potential via ravage and hatespike, as well as giving you infinite mana.

At some point, the enemies will all cluster around one or more oracle holders and will try to push as a five-man team. If you've had a good early game, they will be gold starved and will be at an extreme disadvantage in team fights because your team will have much more gold than they will. Wait for an initiation move, and strike down their weakest target. Sealing the deal is extremely important for Eve so it's crucial you get your allies to focus the same target as you, so you get the health refill and can move to the next one. If you start getting focused, hatespike as many targets as you can and stealth out to try to get assists for the health refill. Keep jumping in and out of the fray to cause disruption and to make them have to choose between chasing you, or dealing with the rest of your team. I guarantee that you won't get instantly killed and you will be able to do your job unless the enemies are fed. Again, I'll state how important it is to end the game as soon as possible, before enemies are able to counter with magic resist and massive wards/oracles, although you can cross-counter them with your own oracles and your own defensive items while retaining your high burst damage.

VI. Conclusion

Eve is widely considered a bad champion, but if you jungle her, a lot of her early game flaws are moot, and you still retain all of her strengths (and she does have a lot that people overlook); her burst damage and mobility which are unmatched by any other champion. You can use her stealth to play mindgames on the enemy -- for example, activating stealth and while you're fading away, let the enemy see you fading and appear as though you're going to the bottom lane, and once you see the stealth icon appear, quickly double back and head top. Make sure you get as many minion kills and jungle kills as you can -- these are crucial to successful ganks and will help you have a fantastic mid game and actually carry. Only the best of the best will be able to counter you before this.

Pwnacus Maximus

07-17-2010

Wall of text crits you for 9001
you die

But seriously. This strategy is flawed because as soon as they see you in the loadscreen with smite they will proceed to 5 man gank you in the jungle, giving them an early gold boost and leaving you underleveled, often costing you the game. Not to mention you're playing evelynn instead of a capable jungler like shaco who isn't completely shut down by wards/oracles.

If you need smite to jungle consider laning instead. Packing smite gets you ganked. If your character can't jungle without smite, don't.

If you want an exceptional jungler, ganker, and decent survivalist/burst damaged, try udyr.

exuion

07-17-2010

The problem of Eve in the current metagame:

1: Eve has no "approach": facing a kite team (ashe + ez + heal, etc), Eve cant get close to do any good. she is also prone to CC (more than most other heroes, since she is melee with no reliable CC outside of her first hit)

2: Lack of survivability: this comes in 2 parts:
A: lack of actual health if you want any significant damage at comparable levels(RoA does not offer good damage by any means, and eve will not jungle as fast as Shaco, Udyr or Wick)
B: lack of escape mechanism, failing to kill will result in death, as your build has no way of stopping any type of slow/stun/ignite, this also applies when you get ganked while jungling by another jungler

3: most importantly, jungling viability. your guide assumes no disruption from enemy team when you jungle. however, this is untrue in high level games where players actively try to disrupt early shaco nest(s). a single ward drop will ruin eve for the rest of the game.

IronMongrel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnacus Maximus View Post
Wall of text crits you for 9001
you die

But seriously. This strategy is flawed because as soon as they see you in the loadscreen with smite they will proceed to 5 man gank you in the jungle, giving them an early gold boost and leaving you underleveled, often costing you the game. Not to mention you're playing evelynn instead of a capable jungler like shaco who isn't completely shut down by wards/oracles.

If you need smite to jungle consider laning instead. Packing smite gets you ganked. If your character can't jungle without smite, don't.

If you want an exceptional jungler, ganker, and decent survivalist/burst damaged, try udyr.

Simple solution; don't sit in the jungle before minions even spawn. You're not Shaco, you don't need to. Wait until minions are spawned, and if you're still weary, even wait for the opponents to inevitably appear on your minimap to ensure your safety.

Evangelion

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-17-2010

Or better yet, go to their jungle. I"m not even kidding, it works wonders with obvious junglers.

Tabbran

07-17-2010

I tried this, but I just couldn't make it work. Maybe I'm a terrible, but I kept running out of mana/hp and had to recall or devour pots in the jungle. Which seem to be two bad choices. One requires time away from doing your route and slows progress. The other keeps you moving but costs money and slows your item build which slows your progress.

While I wasn't a target to get focused on in the lane, I didn't really have the opportunity to contribute to my team either, since I was always low on something.

Maybe I just need some more practice at it, which is kind of hard right now since practice games are disabled, and even if they weren't, you can't make all bot practice games anymore

Rollo

07-17-2010

I tried this and just couldnt work it well. Without some form of innate lifesteal You end up running or dying a lot of the time. I had to recall so much that I actually fell behind more than if I had just sat in a lane and soaked up Xp

Lorifel

07-18-2010

Catalyst as your first jungling item? Not Doran's Ring or Doran's shield, not Madreds, not Red Elixir?
Seriously I can hardly believe it works, but if you say so... I wish there would still be practice games to test it in a safe way =)

Kryoz

07-18-2010

stopt reading at 1v1 anyone at lvl 6 with that godlly catalyst (If you even built that far) yep cause she definitely needs to be built semi-tank with the awesome burst damage it provides....right.....

poornewb

07-18-2010

shaco does this 10x better