Is ryze a bad mid?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gath Immortal

01-11-2012

honestly every time I play him mid he gets destroyed.

Vs. Nunu: I practically get two shotted by his e while dealing no damage at all to nunu because he kept healing with consume. Built banshees first but by the time it was online the game was basically over.

Vs. Twitch: three hits and I die. I can't farm with him anywhere near me or he just stealth harasses, I can't kite him because he outranges me and I built glacial shroud right off the bat and all I managed to do was trade with him ONCE after hitting my full combo WITH ignite.

So far pretty much all of my matches with ryze are terrible. I have no issues actually using him, I can pull his combos fairly well and I know how to build him, it just seems like I'm always outmatched. Every time I harass someone they end up dealing even more damage than I do. When I miss a kill, it's generally only by a sliver of their health bar that they get away.

Am I missing something or is ryze just poor in 1v1 matchups and mid scenarios?

JustMyBassCannon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-11-2012

You're against Nunu mid and Twitch mid?

Can't tell if trolling...

But Ryze is most definitely a side lane champ. Solo top or duo lane.

MyWeedIsHairy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-11-2012

I love Ryze mid. He is naturally very tanky since he gets tanky runes and masteries (at least I hope you do), his DPS grows with a very cheap stat that comes easy on great tank items. QWQ ignite combo is hard to handle, I'm shocked you're being out harassed.

My guess is you don't get enough tankiness from runes/masteries or don't smart cast. Ryze really needs to smart cast.

Vuther

01-11-2012

In general, yes he doesn't really work well for it. There may be a few cases where he'd work, but his early-game is generally quite inferior to other casters... who all have better early-games than the champions you mentioned, and they tend to go mid.

The Chau

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exdeadman View Post
You're against Nunu mid and Twitch mid?

Can't tell if trolling...

But Ryze is most definitely a side lane champ. Solo top or duo lane.
He goes mid Nocturne. Anyways, I see Reginald and many other pro AP players playing Ryze in mid. He counters certain champs well (and destroys @ top), but the good thing about him is if you farmed well (instead of trying to harass early like REAL ap mages) you will become an insane AP DPS machine gun.

MyWeedIsHairy

01-11-2012

Ryze only needs simple items to be a tanky DPS monster late game. Merc's, Glacial Shroud, Tear and Banshees is all he really needs to crush people, and that's gonna cost you around 5.5k, totally doable in almost any game.

He also benefits from not needing the AP master in T1 of offense, so you can get 2/2 minion damage which makes last hitting a breeze, letting you save overload for OP harass.

Schuldėg

01-11-2012

Due to the geography, side lane champs (most likely top) require natural escape. Therefore Ryze is not a side lane champ seeing as he doesn't have any form of natural escape (No his snare isn't enough to save himself from a 3 man gank).

He is a solid mid. If they do AD mid you rush Frozen Heart and you win your lane. If it's a typical caster then you rush Banshees and flat out dominate your lane. You just need to play a little more games with Ryze and use smart cast to make casting skills easier.

TL;DR You shouldn't be losing to Nunu, and no Twitch doesn't beat Ryze in lane. You just need to learn Ryze a little more.

Carados

01-11-2012

Ryze is a good solo mid that ****s on plenty of mids. Don't build AP on him?

The Chau

01-11-2012

I also looked at your CS with Ryze in your match history and it's pretty bad.. focus on CS and the only time you should ever be aggressive is if your jungler is ganking.

Ryze synergizes with most junglers so well that when they gank it's almost certain that his opponent is dead.

Gilder

01-11-2012

I dont play ryze if I am mid lane. The thing is Ryze isn't so strong early game as he is so item reliant. I prefer him in a duo lane. That is just my opinion on the matter.