Help Us Stop SOPA

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Laquert

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-20-2012

We win against this particular bill. It's entirely possible that a revised bill under a different name could be introduced to the Senate. Senator Patrick Leahy has stated that he will not back down from the issue of piracy, which means he will still consider legislative methods of attacking copyright infringement.

If we really want to win, we need to help Hollywood develop commercial methods to compete with piracy. Hell, if Steam and iTunes are any indicators all the movie industry needs to do is jump on board Netflix and piracy will reduce itself.

We also need to investigate the problem of piracy itself. Why do people pirate movies and games? Is it just the costs of the properties? If there was no piracy, would these former pirates buy the things they pirated or would they find alternate media to consume? How many people both pirate and legally acquire the properties in question? And what are the actual figures involved in the act of piracy and its affect on the US economy as well as the entertainment industry?

And then we need to tell everyone what we've learned so that we can make an informed decision.

Hell, from my own experience the ready availability of games on Steam directly competes with both the availability of pirated software as well as used software found at retailers. Now that I can legally give content providers payment for their goods without leaving my bloody house I do so exclusively.

EpicMadness

01-20-2012

^ the thing thats encouraging buyers to go with pirated copies is that the originals are so **** expensive, and sometimes the pirate copies have native language subs/dubs included in it where some medias just doesn't include, makes it all the more a better buy when they're both the same in quality.

imho what i think about media creators that sells a copy for 50$ a piece is kinda like a corrupt government, all they want is profit. if they think right they could just implement a system based on price which goes like this:

480p (SD) [starting at 3$] - since its the bottom most quality, and limiting the features but its still an original copy then it would encourage budget minded people to go with this.
720p (HD) [starting at 5$] - next up on the ladder includes a great quality for a small price, the features should be slightly limited but its still an original copy, this could attract peoples that loves quality though stingy.
1080p (BD) [starting at 8$] - next up is the mainstream, packed with quality but slightly limited in feature for an affordable price, this could encourage people that are addicted to quality but on a tight budget.
1080p & above [starting at 25$] - a luxurious copy and usually sold to theaters instead, packs every single feature they could fit.

TL;DR - sell the god dam movies cheaply my god, you could just cripple the quality... mass producing these stuffs should bring down the production costs. and to boot selling a million copy should get you about
[480p (SD)] 3million$ , [720p (HD)] 5million$ , [1080p (BD)] 8million$ and [1080p & above] 25million$.

my point: why the eff would burning videos on a disk be worth a effing grand!?

PS: this would drive the pirated copies's prices down a notch which would severely cripple their profit, discouraging them to continue pirating.
PPS: also a well good example would be books, even though they do have the pricey side of their nature they're still affordable and hardly has any counterfeits being produced, why do you think that is?

morbiditto

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-20-2012

Though I am not that much into politics, neither am I an U.S. citizen, still this bill and even the possibility of it passing I find very alarming. I do believe that it took quite a big amount of time developing this act and it is but a first step in a long chain of events and the impact which it can make on the internet is simply huge. This isn't the first nor the last attempt of the government to take control and inflict restrictions upon the free spaces of internet, it must never become a possibility!

pyrolord777

01-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothinButSwag View Post
Lawmakers have backed down from the bill!
We win, GG
Its far from over. I highly recommend you watch this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tD1yaE0GfQ

JPAKolypse

01-20-2012

No one else sees the irony here? It's ok for league of legends to censor their players through tribunal, but its not ok for the government to censor people for infringing on the copyrights of others? Maybe everyone is just wrong?

Frears

01-20-2012

really i dont see how congress has the power to do this in the first place. it does not fall under necessary and proper for the states could easily handle this. and since it affects all of the US and other countries doing stuff like this will in fact make the US hated more and hurt economy worse for sites will loose income from any and all advertisement banned plus these acts are ill timed for where will the funding come from and how will the government reconcile lost income form sites that make all money from any advertisement used and search engines will have to fork out a lot to exclude the forbidden information.
so i say Vote SOPA in Your going OUT.
i am 18 years of age.

hizakiss

01-20-2012

**** sopa.
We won, gg!

beastgamerps3

01-20-2012

Is SOPA dead?

pyrolord777

01-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPAKolypse View Post
No one else sees the irony here? It's ok for league of legends to censor their players through tribunal, but its not ok for the government to censor people for infringing on the copyrights of others? Maybe everyone is just wrong?
League of Legends only censors people who wish to cause trouble with the community and drive players to quit. The government is trying to censor for money and power. Theres a huge difference.

pyrolord777

01-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastgamerps3 View Post
Is SOPA dead?
No, not dead just shelved which means it can be revived at anytime so the fight is not over yet. They'll probably try sneaking it through when everyone lets their guard down just like with NDAA.

Something else to remember is they shut down and arrested Megaupload's staff without SOPA even passing yet which gives a strong example of how badly they will abuse it if it does pass.

Once again I recommend watching this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tD1yaE0GfQ