Help Us Stop SOPA

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FireScorpion

01-11-2012

Sadly I live in the netherlands and I have no way of signing this... or does anyone know a way?

Solance

01-11-2012

I agree, if this is implemented riot cannot release new champions and skins that even remotely resemble anything already out there. And that would cause this game to go stale in no time~

Guess we can't just eat orange and be okay this time guys, better bust out the ultimates ^^

Fisherman Fizz

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rep Jared Polis View Post
u would just use Justin Beiber as your avatar anyway
Best Congressman ever. And you did Tiamat Tuesday on your first smurf game too.

So, since this isn't your first account name, who do you usually play under?

Legiteronomy

01-11-2012

Rammus, flash-taunt sopa!!

BlackLordDragonX

01-11-2012

Stop da sopa

dKtiGERR

01-11-2012

Quote:
Hi, this is Congressman Jared Polis of Colorado. As a member of the League of Legends community (partial to Anivia and Maokai), and as someone who made his living as an Internet entrepreneur before being elected to Congress, Iím greatly concerned about the future of the Internet and gaming if Congress doesn't wake up. You may have heard that Congress is currently considering a bill called the Stop Online Piracy Act, or SOPA. While SOPA has a ton of problems, there are some significant issues that I thought fellow gamers might want to know about.

Iím particularly concerned that SOPA might stifle the kind of innovation that brings us games we love, such as LoL. The bill makes it far too easy for angry competitors to sue good law abiding companies out of existence. It threatens any company or website that depends on user-generated content, even companies like Riot. Instead of coming up with great ways to keep making games like LoL even better, companies will have to spend their money hiring lawyers. That's why companies like Riot, who want to protect the games they create, are opposed to SOPA.

Iíve been working on alternative legislation that would protect the games companies create while also fostering innovation. But we also need you to call your members of Congress and let them know of your opposition to SOPA. This bill has a very real chance of passing, and it is up to all of who want to protect the Internet to take action. More information is available at http://keepthewebopen.com/. Please make your voices heard in this debate! I will be happy to respond to your posts below, and will check back every few hours today and respond to as many as I can.
Has a sudden urge to play Maokai/Anivia now...don't know why.
...my hope just went up for Congress and not everyone there aren't dim-witted.

FUN HATER

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryndamere View Post
Thanks for the support everyone - this is a big deal and is worth the effort of fighting it.
nerf plz

NobletheKnight

01-11-2012

And this is why i love Riot.

Iudex Umbra

01-11-2012

You have my support.

Join us community! Fellow Solarist, join the fight!

ಠ_ಠ

Bazlyn

01-11-2012

Quote:
Hi, this is Congressman Jared Polis of Colorado. As a member of the League of Legends community (partial to Anivia and Maokai), and as someone who made his living as an Internet entrepreneur before being elected to Congress, Iím greatly concerned about the future of the Internet and gaming if Congress doesn't wake up. You may have heard that Congress is currently considering a bill called the Stop Online Piracy Act, or SOPA. While SOPA has a ton of problems, there are some significant issues that I thought fellow gamers might want to know about.

Iím particularly concerned that SOPA might stifle the kind of innovation that brings us games we love, such as LoL. The bill makes it far too easy for angry competitors to sue good law abiding companies out of existence. It threatens any company or website that depends on user-generated content, even companies like Riot. Instead of coming up with great ways to keep making games like LoL even better, companies will have to spend their money hiring lawyers. That's why companies like Riot, who want to protect the games they create, are opposed to SOPA.

Iíve been working on alternative legislation that would protect the games companies create while also fostering innovation. But we also need you to call your members of Congress and let them know of your opposition to SOPA. This bill has a very real chance of passing, and it is up to all of who want to protect the Internet to take action. More information is available at http://keepthewebopen.com/. Please make your voices heard in this debate! I will be happy to respond to your posts below, and will check back every few hours today and respond to as many as I can.
It's refreshing to see people actually familiar with this market and how it works acting as a voice of reason. It's very easy to dismiss pretty much everyone in your position as the enemy and someone who "Doesn't get it" out of hand. Your post genuinely shocked me and I'm very much glad to know there are individuals on our side.

I work for a small indie game studio. At this time in my life I'm trying to go from hobbyist to professional. And SOPA is a massive threat to that. You're right that this makes it all too easy for people online to anonymously sabotage companies for any reason. Someone, anyone who doesn't like us in a post SOPA world can go and register for an account on our forums, post something they shouldn't, and then blow the whistles on us for something that they themselves posted.

The obvious solution is to disable image posts, as a Riot poster said. But it's sad that such lengths of unnecessary censorship would be required. And that the legitimate forum goers / game players / ect would be punished for literally no reason. You'd have to crack down on links and things too. It may become unsafe for smaller studios who can't support a legal team to even have forums for their users due to the great risk that having said forums could be due to the way SOPA works.

SOPA stands to crush people like me who are trying to get a new product out into the world. Which means less innovation in the field of gaming. Less options for gamers as a result. And less jobs for people who do want to work on games.

Piracy is bad and I'm all for fighting it. But that doesn't make it okay to blow up half the internet and everyone on it just to lash out at the pirates.