Help Us Stop SOPA

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

insertaghere

01-11-2012

Wow this doesn't really benefit any common citizens at all.

GODxIxSUCK

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZyrionV View Post
Its too bad I live in canada and can't participate in this to my knowledge, P.S
**** the government
dont cer u suport them and at that ur good.......id say u r just like us becuse next ur plas will be invalved then mexaco then china then karea so ya we all r in this.

iTzCoconutHead

01-11-2012

SOPA shutting down Reddit?

Sounds good to me.

Tondheri

01-11-2012

I only worry that our Representatives might be blocking e-mails from the linked sites..but we have to try anyway.

Thank you riot, this is fantastic!

KingEmmet

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-11-2012

i love league of legends server patches and all. Anything that would prohibit this game from sharing its wonder full fun for all should be stopped. i turn 18 on 2/1/12 so if i can i will vote against this act

Candras

01-11-2012

Thank you so much RIOT for supporting to STOP SOPA. I will buy riot points just because you are taking a stand for freedom!!! You all are awesome!!

Escad

01-11-2012

I already contacted both of my senators, and representative boehner, as well as told everyone I possibly can

Dreggon

01-11-2012

What the hell, United States Congress is a title we can get on the forums?

also I want to sue the white house for violating SOPA

A Nuclear Waffle

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-11-2012

Honestly, you would think Obama would be ****ting all over this Bill, sure i'm not a huge fan.. But i really think he would be, considering he is a big "computer" president. He is constantly on TV with talking about gaming and stuff as well as the actual big politics. I don't know, even though it will be hard seeing how he is just one man, but still he is the president and can have the influence over everyone in the US.

Gailen

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToG Titan View Post
I have to ask, since I'm canadian I don't have a say in american lawmaking, how will this affect me as a canadian gamer? I mean, I'm already against it, and if it comes to canada, I'm writing some serious letters, but will I be sued for playing music even if I'm not american? How is this going to work?
The internet uses a system called DNS to allow you to type web addresses into your computer. Imagine this is like a huge phonebook - every website has a number, and their street address is their URL.

For example, "google.com" when pinged tells me it's IP address, or number, is 74.125.226.82. SOPA allows the US government to erase entries of this phonebook at the request of any copyright holder, which would mean if they took out the entry for "thepiratebay.org" you would not be able to type "thepiratebay.org" into your web browser and go to the webpage. You would need to know the website's IP address to get to that webpage.

But this goes beyond that. SOPA allows the copyright holder to cut off revenues from US based ad services, etc from any website. It also can heavily impact people who do let's plays, streams, and even cute kitty videos on YouTube with a song playing in the background. The MPAA and RIAA are rabid, they'll stop at nothing to get more money, even by deluding themselves into thinking stopping piracy will somehow get them more money... though that is an entirely separate discussion.

It's ineffective for stopping piracy because if I know the IP address, I can still go to thepiratebay.org - and on top of that, they can't cut off ad revenues if the ad company is based in a country outside the US. For example, I think there's a tracker out there using an Israeli ad server, and I know a bunch that use a Russian one too - and Russia is FAR removed from US law.

Basically, SOPA will be ineffective at stopping piracy - but it will seriously effect sites like YouTube, Facebook, Google, LiveStream, etc since it basically copyright holders the right to go on a rampage taking down **** without any due process, while holding the company liable for stuff users post.

To answer your other question about downloading music in Canada, it is at worst a copyright violation in Canada at the moment, with no special treatment in the law. It's equivalent to scanning a few pages of a book or something like that with a pretty low fine, unlike the crazy RIAA lawsuits of old in the USA. Furthermore, downloading for personal use really isn't viewed as a crime, it's just the uploading part of the P2P that our courts frown upon. Basically, if you leech it's peachy.