Help Us Stop SOPA

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Mighty Wolfe

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rep Jared Polis View Post
Hi, this is Congressman Jared Polis of Colorado. As a member of the League of Legends community (partial to Anivia and Maokai), and as someone who made his living as an Internet entrepreneur before being elected to Congress, Iím greatly concerned about the future of the Internet and gaming if Congress doesn't wake up. You may have heard that Congress is currently considering a bill called the Stop Online Piracy Act, or SOPA. While SOPA has a ton of problems, there are some significant issues that I thought fellow gamers might want to know about.

Iím particularly concerned that SOPA might stifle the kind of innovation that brings us games we love, such as LoL. The bill makes it far too easy for angry competitors to sue good law abiding companies out of existence. It threatens any company or website that depends on user-generated content, even companies like Riot. Instead of coming up with great ways to keep making games like LoL even better, companies will have to spend their money hiring lawyers. That's why companies like Riot, who want to protect the games they create, are opposed to SOPA.

Iíve been working on alternative legislation that would protect the games companies create while also fostering innovation. But we also need you to call your members of Congress and let them know of your opposition to SOPA. This bill has a very real chance of passing, and it is up to all of who want to protect the Internet to take action. More information is available at http://keepthewebopen.com/. Please make your voices heard in this debate! I will be happy to respond to your posts below, and will check back every few hours today and respond to as many as I can.
If you ever run for president, I'll vote for you.

Epicsmith93

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rep Jared Polis View Post
Hi, this is Congressman Jared Polis of Colorado. As a member of the League of Legends community (partial to Anivia and Maokai), and as someone who made his living as an Internet entrepreneur before being elected to Congress, Iím greatly concerned about the future of the Internet and gaming if Congress doesn't wake up. You may have heard that Congress is currently considering a bill called the Stop Online Piracy Act, or SOPA. While SOPA has a ton of problems, there are some significant issues that I thought fellow gamers might want to know about.

Iím particularly concerned that SOPA might stifle the kind of innovation that brings us games we love, such as LoL. The bill makes it far too easy for angry competitors to sue good law abiding companies out of existence. It threatens any company or website that depends on user-generated content, even companies like Riot. Instead of coming up with great ways to keep making games like LoL even better, companies will have to spend their money hiring lawyers. That's why companies like Riot, who want to protect the games they create, are opposed to SOPA.

Iíve been working on alternative legislation that would protect the games companies create while also fostering innovation. But we also need you to call your members of Congress and let them know of your opposition to SOPA. This bill has a very real chance of passing, and it is up to all of who want to protect the Internet to take action. More information is available at http://keepthewebopen.com/. Please make your voices heard in this debate! I will be happy to respond to your posts below, and will check back every few hours today and respond to as many as I can.
Since your such a cool congressman, I was wondering if you could make this work. In the case SOPA might get passed, do you think you could filibuster the voting (I'm not sure WHEN a filibuster is supposed to happen, but I do know it's used to take up time to prevent voting, something along those lines) by doing something awesome and league related, like reading off all the lore from LoL?

Eyeburn

01-11-2012

The baby boomer generation is ****ing destroying this country.

descimation

01-11-2012

Welp, good thing I just got my german passport. With my dual citizenship, i can move to germany if this passes and it will be k...awww who am i kidding it would not be ok cause it would be the end of riot and companies like it D: D: D: WE MUST STOP SOPA!!!!

o0othekingo0o

01-11-2012

SOPA you are going down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Knife Man

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-11-2012

Yes! I've been against this since day one and I'm so glad my favorite gaming company is to. Your influence and large player base are perfect to help get this job done. Thank you for your help and support!

Enola Reverof

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albericht View Post
If this law passes Gangplank will be removed from the game! We can't allow this!
Why will Gangplank be removed? In order to be sued for Gangplank, there would have to be evidence that the champion is a direct theft of a copyrighted material. To my recollection, I have never seen a material named Gangplank who looks identical and has the same exact expressions that are said in game and eats oranges AND has the name Gangplank.

Cegorach22

01-11-2012

I'm kinda curious about the change in position. Riot said they wouldn't sue streamers but didn't say they were actively against it.

JJMerrill

01-11-2012

I am so glad Riot Games has publicly turned their attention to this. Gamers that may otherwise not be aware of serious issues like this may now take part and make a difference.

Gorchek

01-11-2012

My only worry is that so many politicians are... well... old. Old people don't use the internet as much as us, and probably don't care as much. They don't care about internet rights since they've never even been on the internet.

This is sort of a sweeping generalization, but I think it's safe to assume that 90% of congress doesn't care about the internet as much as a normal LoL player does.