Help Us Stop SOPA

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Painful Dream

01-11-2012

Right when I thought Riot had no soul, at all. Thank you for posting this Riot, maybe do a bit about the "indefinite detention" bill. Exactly 220 years since the Bill of Rights was ratified, this bill was passed through legislation in a vote of 86 - 13. What this bill does is give the U.S military the right to imprison ANYONE for no reason and indefinitely. This includes U.S citizens and other people around the world. Such a disgrace.

lichto2005

01-11-2012

I 100% support Riot games on this issue. SOPA/PIPA are nothing more than a way to control the internet. It goes against the constitution, and most of the internet will suffer from it. Primarily because of RIOT, I have contacted my congressmen and representative, and asked about their positions and supplied my own. What will take 10 minutes to oppose may cost you a much greater imposition, and even start a long chain of internet censorship.

haitianboy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-11-2012

Stop sopa.

xbehindyou

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryze View Post
Summoners,

We’re not usually inclined to comment on politics. We’re a game company, and making games is just a whole lot more fun.

But there is legislation under consideration today by the United States Congress that gives us serious concern.

Called the "Stop Online Piracy Act" (SOPA) in the House of Representatives and the "PROTECT IP Act" (PIPA) in the Senate, these bills are a misguided attempt to curb the illegal piracy of copyrighted content (like movies, music and games). Preventing piracy of copyrighted content is a laudable goal, and Riot supports legitimate efforts to combat these activities and protect content creators (like us).

However, SOPA/PIPA goes far beyond simply addressing piracy. This proposed legislation actually threatens any website that features user-generated content. In effect, any copyright holder could file a claim that a streaming website is hosting unauthorized content (such as a song in the background of a League of Legends stream). Under the law, ad networks, payment providers and internet service providers are now potentially liable for their user’s infringement. These services could then be compelled to immediately remove support for a streaming website or face a costly legal battle – at a minimum cutting off financial means, and likely shutting off the site entirely.

How would SOPA/PIPA impact League of Legends players?

• Kills streaming. If any single streamer plays copyrighted music (or alt tabs into a movie or other owned content) on their stream, there is a significant risk of the entire streaming service being taken down. In some cases, it could even result in criminal penalties for the streamer.
  • Threatens independent content creation. Services we all use to create and share League of Legends related content, such as YouTube, Reddit, DeviantArt, streaming websites such as Own3d and Twitch, and more would be at risk of shutting down or greatly restricting the scope of legitimate content allowed on their sites.
  • Attacks our community. Aspects of our service such as the official forums and potentially even in-game chat, could be taken down or have their features reduced based on user behavior.
  • Other harmful effects. SOPA/PIPA undermine established intellectual property legislation like the DMCA, raise serious constitutional free speech issues, and could even compromise the basic security infrastructure of the internet.

Congress will reconvene at the end of January, and with a long roster of supporters on both sides of the aisle, SOPA/PIPA could actually pass. The likelihood is so great that technology giants including Google, Amazon, Facebook and Twitter have gone so far as to publicly consider a simultaneous blackout in protest.

Riot Games is opposed to SOPA/PIPA in their present form. While we do support efforts to prevent online piracy, the current form of this legislation comes at far too high a cost for us, our players, and online communities across the internet.

Help us take a stand. Write your congressperson today and voice your opposition to this misguided and harmful legislation: https://action.eff.org/o/9042/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=8173

EDIT: Riot Games Attorney RiotLomar is currently doing an AMAA on Reddit. Have a question? Check it out!
I honestly think this would make riot better

BlindChicken

01-11-2012

Riot should have a special skin sale that donates to stop sopa.

Ancaman

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-11-2012

I wish you success in fighting this SOPA nonsense, as I don't live in US all I can do is cheer you guys on. Don't let the big brother clam down our internet!!!

Bebb

01-11-2012

How will this SOPA and PIPA effect people outside of the USA?

Gigglestomp

Recruiter

01-11-2012

I chose this as my report topic last semester. People thought i was overreacting. But this is some serious ****.

I hope to god people scared of technology dont make choices for the rest of us ON THIS.

xbehindyou

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by lichto2005 View Post
I 100% support Riot games on this issue. SOPA/PIPA are nothing more than a way to control the internet. It goes against the constitution, and most of the internet will suffer from it. Primarily because of RIOT, I have contacted my congressmen and representative, and asked about their positions and supplied my own. What will take 10 minutes to oppose may cost you a much greater imposition, and even start a long chain of internet censorship.
so u support people showing ur info to other people with out ur promision?

Qiraji Summoner

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regis Of Arabia View Post
I think our government has much larger issues going on in our country right now that should be receiving more attention, lets be honest. **** like this is why no one has confidence in Congress anymore.
I think our citizens have exactly the right to be worried about one of their basic liberties being circumvented. Lets be honest, Congress passes laws everyday and you would ignore all of them except the ones you think deserve the most attention?

That's beyond reckless and shows why lame politicians and corruption finds its way into our systems to begin with, people don't want to pay attention.