Help Us Stop SOPA

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Triboon

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by violentvendetta View Post
... move to Canada eh?
Sorry man, but that won't do a thing.... It's going to still effect Youtube LoL and all the things like that.

Mfelaco

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-11-2012

THANK YOU Riot, thank you. I (and I'm sure I'm not alone) hold you in high esteem and really couldn't conceive you not opposing this. Again, thank you!

Everyone, if you want a great explanation on why SOPA is a terrible idea, I recommend you read this:

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20111122/04254316872/definitive-post-why-sopa-protect-ip-are-bad-bad-ideas.shtml

Spiritbx

01-11-2012

uh im canadian the link is useless to me, since i cant enter my postal code nothing i can do

Mikcha212

01-11-2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w6GtwOvnWM << Watch this.

Albericht

01-11-2012

I feel powerless to do anything about this situation because I'm not a US citizen. I live in Mexico but this is extremely detrimental for everyone. What can foreigners do to help?

Wriggle

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnubs View Post
Problems with it but this is not the thread for that talk : ) Its a good start that needs tweaks we will leave it at that in this thread.
Actually there was a second part to my post but the forums ate it. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/52453/league/sopa_tribunal.png

FenrirsVice

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rep Jared Polis View Post
Hi, this is Congressman Jared Polis of Colorado. As a member of the League of Legends community (partial to Anivia and Maokai), and as someone who made his living as an Internet entrepreneur before being elected to Congress, Iím greatly concerned about the future of the Internet and gaming if Congress doesn't wake up. You may have heard that Congress is currently considering a bill called the Stop Online Piracy Act, or SOPA. While SOPA has a ton of problems, there are some significant issues that I thought fellow gamers might want to know about.

Iím particularly concerned that SOPA might stifle the kind of innovation that brings us games we love, such as LoL. The bill makes it far too easy for angry competitors to sue good law abiding companies out of existence. It threatens any company or website that depends on user-generated content, even companies like Riot. Instead of coming up with great ways to keep making games like LoL even better, companies will have to spend their money hiring lawyers. That's why companies like Riot, who want to protect the games they create, are opposed to SOPA.

Iíve been working on alternative legislation that would protect the games companies create while also fostering innovation. But we also need you to call your members of Congress and let them know of your opposition to SOPA. This bill has a very real chance of passing, and it is up to all of who want to protect the Internet to take action. More information is available at http://keepthewebopen.com/. Please make your voices heard in this debate! I will be happy to respond to your posts below, and will check back every few hours today and respond to as many as I can.

This renews my faith in democracy right here.

Spiritbx

01-11-2012

oh and we should put more canadian embassies in the us if this passes, then people could just put their servers in there XD

Shfonce

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Triboon View Post
Is there a way to check out who supports this and who doesn't, because I want to know ( for example ) if my state congresswoman supports this. If not I would like to know so I can E-mail her with this issue, and I would like other people to be able to do the same in all 50 states.
The link provided in the thread gave me the names and phone numbers of all three congress members in my state,
I called the number and a real person answered he phone very quickly. I asked what their stand point was and left a message that will be passed along and notes are being taken from letters callers etc on both sides of this issue.

Washington State,

Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler: did not say for or against but stated they like the hands off approach when it comes to the internet

Sen. Patty Murray: Has spoken out against this bill but has not made formal statements to appose it yet and is listening to the people of Washington before she does.

Sen. Maria Cantwell: undecided

Lawinn

01-11-2012

Canadian could reply on the Website or only U.S citizen?