Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Sona Carry! Sona AD! Sona AP! Effective or No???

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wong Shi Tong

Recruiter

01-10-2012

Hi summoners,

I've currently been playing the champ Sona and I've come to find that being a support champ as she is defined is far greater than that, but from time to time in most match ups people dislike the fact that she'd be played with an agressive or a more in lane gameplay.

As of right now I have structured my skills of playing to where she can carry and push lanes, but only if who I lane with I can counter-out with (if that makes sense). I noticed that when Sona has no assists or kills, late game, mid game she is useless.

At the point if she becomes useless I have problems of helping out my team. I'd like to know how to make Sona have the benefit to support her team, but in effect too to be able to push and be an asset to team besides a healing support.

My build that I've tried is: Sorcerer's Boots, Frozen Mallet, Deathcap, Rylai's Sceptor, Void Staff and Sheen.

Any advice would help me out, and thanks.

fletche00

01-10-2012

I'm not the greatest Sona player ever, but I have played 100+ games w/ her and I hope that the following can help you.

You have two good choices to go with for her, AP Nuke or AP Support. First thing you need to find out is who you are laning with and how you are going to benefit them. Are you there to make sure they get fed, or are you there to get fed. Playing her as a Nuke takes some practice to get use to her passive, so i'll start out with support for her. You want to take her heal first if you support, and pretty much let your laning partner get most last hits. Worried about not getting gold, not a problem, get a philosopher's stone, it gives you 5 gold/10 seconds with decent HP and MP regen, plus it turns into a nice support item which gives nearby teammates a speed boost when activated. You should Max your Heal asap, but put 1 point into your other skills, then start maxing it. Max your Speed second, and your Nuke 3rd. Put a point into your ult every chance you get too. Then you should build Merc Treads (for CC/AP heavy teams) or Ionian boots for Cooldown Reduction. Then build a Champions Aura, Rod of Ages, and a Hero's Armor for some auras to help support your team. Basically, w/ the CD reduction and plenty of mana, you can consistantly keep all 3 auras on your teammates, which buffs armor/magic resist, damage, and their movement speed. And make sure you pop your crescendo on enemy champs when they get close.

For AP Nuke Sona, Max Nuke, then Speed, then Heal. First item you should get is a Rod of Ages, then a Lich Bane, then a Deathcap. The lichbane adds all AP to your next attack after you use an ability, and if you get a crescendo proc on your Nuke, with a lich bane hit, you can Basic Attack people for 1000 easily. Just remember an AP Nuke Sona can be burned down quickly, and cannot burn people quite as fast as say Annie or Brand, but i promise a well timed ult with your abilites can do some massive damage and pick you up a bunch of kills. Just remember that you can heal your teammates, so you should do that whenever you can, and try to ult as many people as possible. I hope this helps you. If this is confusing btw, i do apologize, my organization of champs is terrible for the most part

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

01-10-2012

I play support Sona by maxing Q (her nuke) first; Sona is typically played with aggressive lane partners, and your Q+passive(Q) allows you a strong amount of harass for your ally to finish someone off when they're low. The best defense is a good offense; Sona doesn't have the sustain capabilities of Soraka, so don't even try, you need to make use of what she does have, and that's significantly more harassment capability.

Kerrida

01-10-2012

Sona is who I have been maining for the last few weeks, and like Panzer, I focus her Q first as it is a high harass early game and scales fairly well, especially if you pop off her passive right on its heels. Sona's W heal is minor truth be told and is better for the armor and MR, I usually grab it at level 2. Finally at 4 I take her E. From there I choose between E and W for leveling depending on the needs, but the damage of Q is always a priority.

For the most part I have not had an issue being useful throughout the game when playing as Sona, even when I focus her as pure support and not upping her AP until late game.

Jello Puppeh

Recruiter

01-10-2012

My endgame build for sona is AA, ionian boots, morellos, aegis, starks,wota. Full cdr(with masteries) decent ap, never runs out of mana, lots of auras.

Wong Shi Tong

Recruiter

01-12-2012

@Kerrida: Late game can be very hard for Sona pending on how effective she was EG, but then again too, being that she is a support if she can't support the team as the team can support her then Sona is borderline useless... So I feel.

@Panzer: I play her aggressively to not just harass or take kills, but to take some focus off who I am laning with. That way if the opponent targets me, while I harass my team has a better chance of getting kills and pushing lanes.

Wong Shi Tong

Recruiter

01-12-2012

A double-edged sword is a phrase I'd use to define Sona.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

01-12-2012

How so? Aggressive =/= double edged sword.

AbyssalArtorias

01-12-2012

Just started playing sona yesterday and have done really well with her in normals and a ranked game. I seem to be having success building morellos wota starks ionian boots and then working toward rabadon. I dont sit back with her and play her very aggressive compared to other supports.

Organic

01-12-2012

AD sona is rather effective. I've carried with her on quite a few occasions, and she's amazing at cleaning up people running away from a teamfight.

Doran's Blade/Boots -> Sheen -> Bers Greaves/Swiftness -> Chalice (If you're hurting for mana) -> Trinity -> Mallet/Infinity Edge -> PE if you want more movement speed/Starks/whatever you want.

She's also really effective when stacking crit, so an early Avarice Blade could be nice.

Really easy first blood = stack chord to two at base and rapeface at bush.

You'll really want to be 30 or close to it with APen marks/quints. I take flat armor seals and MR glyphs, which let me do a lot more stupid **** and stay in lane longer.