Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Help thread for players, answer by 1800s.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sycent

02-24-2012

hi Ken, thanks for the thread.

I just started playing not too long ago, currently level 14. I want to learn the roles of AP mid and tanky DPS top.

I plan on learning Wukong for tanky DPS and Ahri for AP mid. Do you think those are good choices for someone relatively new to the game but experienced in similar games such as DOTA?

thanks in advance.

ExecutionerK

02-24-2012

Quote:
Sycent:
hi Ken, thanks for the thread.

I just started playing not too long ago, currently level 14. I want to learn the roles of AP mid and tanky DPS top.

I plan on learning Wukong for tanky DPS and Ahri for AP mid. Do you think those are good choices for someone relatively new to the game but experienced in similar games such as DOTA?

thanks in advance.

I don't recommend these two champions for new players, but since you have experience to similar game like DOTA, I think you should try them

However, rather than buying them now, you should try different champions during the free rotation, so that you don't waste any IP if you don't want the champions.

Sycent

02-24-2012

Quote:
ExecutionerKen:
I don't recommend these two champions for new players, but since you have experience to similar game like DOTA, I think you should try them

However, rather than buying them now, you should try different champions during the free rotation, so that you don't waste any IP if you don't want the champions.

What are some of your recommendations for these 2 roles then? thanks.

ExecutionerK

02-24-2012

Quote:
Sycent:
What are some of your recommendations for these 2 roles then? thanks.

Stick to the basic, Annie or Anivia mid are both really strong. Solo top can be GP, AD Nidalee, Warwick, etc.

These picks are really awesome for learning the basic of the game, and the skill of playing these champions can be easily used at other champions as well.

BendyBread

02-24-2012

This is opinion based, but why do you personally think Brand isnt seen as much anymore? I main Lux, but I still think Brand is an excellent champion to play.

FaerellG

02-24-2012

Counter Jungling question.

Currently I don't counter jungle because I don't have a reliable support player who can place good CVs for me when I go and invade. How important is that? How important is it to have a skilled support player who can place good CVs. Is it feasible (I know it's possible) to counter jungle without good CV support?

ExecutionerK

02-24-2012

Quote:
Solatoral:
This is opinion based, but why do you personally think Brand isnt seen as much anymore? I main Lux, but I still think Brand is an excellent champion to play.

I think I need to run a full analysis with Brand and compare him with other champions if you are asking this

Brand's skill set allow him to be really good at laning and poking, his passive scales well into late game as it is %hp damage, something that can never hurt an ap caster.

His skill sets are mainly AoE damage, making him a really fearsome champion if he can lands all the skills.

Now...the downfall

1. His range isn't long enough, most people will object by saying that his pillar of flame has a relatively good range, but then if you really want to do those damage...you need to use E, which range is REALLY SHORT.

2. He lacks group cc that other carries such as Kennen or Cassiopedia can provide. Yes, he has a single target stun skill shot, but compare to the AoE CC that the two that I had mentioned, it is bad.

3. He lacks escape/ engage ability. For example, Ahri and Kass both have amazing escape and engage ability, brand has none, yet his range isn't superior to any other AP champions.

Combined all the facts together, people who play Brand will probably be better with Xerath, who's range is longer and more AoE, with a stun as well.

ExecutionerK

02-24-2012

Quote:
FaerellG:
Counter Jungling question.

Currently I don't counter jungle because I don't have a reliable support player who can place good CVs for me when I go and invade. How important is that? How important is it to have a skilled support player who can place good CVs. Is it feasible (I know it's possible) to counter jungle without good CV support?

Counter jungling shouldn't be only about support landing those CV, you should learn to time the enemy jungler, for example, it is pretty standard for the enemy to finish blue buff by 2:10, so that you should know that they must be at wraith camp by 2:25 or so.

A skilled support, shouldn't CV the obvious, but actually use CV as a tool, to spot enemy jungler when they are ganking, or actually ZONE them from doing something (Counter jungling or trying to ninja dragon, etc.)

FaerellG

02-24-2012

I don't mean CV to spot the jungler necessarily. I'm more referring to scouting out whether or not something is safe.

for instance. Enemy jungler just ganked and I warded their red and I see that it's up. I ninja my way over without being detected and I start trying to take it.

Enemy mid or top disappears from lane. I need to know whether or not that person is coming to kill me at red or if they're just backing or going to a different lane. I probably need a CV to spot that in order for me to get out in time. I've probably warded one route, but I usually don't have time or gold to ward the second route.

S B

02-24-2012

Hey ken, I've been doing some research about Panth. I'm thinking of using him as a SHUT DOWN to mid carries, or solo top, to do mass harass with his Q. But what would be better on him, flat AD or Armor pen Reds and Quints?

I plan on incorporating a Last Whisper into his build, pretty much as core, but when should I build it? Also, what would be a good build on him? Final build I'm thinking:

Mercs
Blood thirst
Frozen Mallet
Atmas
Last Whisper
Wits end/Banshees?