Help thread for players, answer by 1800s.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ExecutionerK

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadPlayer6 View Post
In what sorts of situations is Soraka a good pick?
When the enemy team is all out poking team. In such cases Soraka is a viable pick against Lulu Caitlyn by just out sustaining the enemy (and also due to the fact that the enemy lacks the ability to go all in on you)

ExecutionerK

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer30 View Post
Here's my question. I mainly play adc but I have pretty decent skill in Jungle and Mid. Yet, no matter where I play in ranked I get people that don't understand what they're doing. They don't know how to harass, cs, ward, focus, split push, etc.

What I'm asking is, how am I supposed to get higher up in divisions if I can't win games due to players like these? Is there any possible way that I can get out when I have players like these. Before you say 'If you can't carry you deserve to be down there.' That is highly unfair, especially since the majority of what games I'm referring to are completely uncarryable because I.E the top laner fed akali 8 kills in 13 mins.

What am I supposed to do?
In most cases even if you have the skill above the elo that you are in, if you are not MUCH better than them then you won't be able to ensure victory. Winning 100% of the games is hard but if you put a diamond player down to gold he will most likely win 90% of the games.

In order to win in this situation, you better get fed off from the enemy within the first 10 mins of the game. If your top lane fed 6 kills, you must get 5 kills and win via better skill or farms.

Or, play enough game to show that your skill is actually better than the others, you will eventually go up if you are indeed better than the others.

FIN Sawyer30

03-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExecutionerKen View Post
In most cases even if you have the skill above the elo that you are in, if you are not MUCH better than them then you won't be able to ensure victory. Winning 100% of the games is hard but if you put a diamond player down to gold he will most likely win 90% of the games.

In order to win in this situation, you better get fed off from the enemy within the first 10 mins of the game. If your top lane fed 6 kills, you must get 5 kills and win via better skill or farms.

Or, play enough game to show that your skill is actually better than the others, you will eventually go up if you are indeed better than the others.
I see the logic in this, but I have to ask.

Since you said winning 90% will generally happen for a diamond player. What if I'm only at a gold or plat level? The plat would likely be able to carry himself out after a long time, probably not as quickly as the diamond, and the gold would more than likely only have a slim possibility of carrying themselves out of there.

Is there some kind of strategy that wins majority of games that could help me? Such as a particular role being able to swing the game more in my favor, or playing specific champs...Or even just split pushing all game? Do any of these work better than the others?

ExecutionerK

03-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer30 View Post
I see the logic in this, but I have to ask.

Since you said winning 90% will generally happen for a diamond player. What if I'm only at a gold or plat level? The plat would likely be able to carry himself out after a long time, probably not as quickly as the diamond, and the gold would more than likely only have a slim possibility of carrying themselves out of there.

Is there some kind of strategy that wins majority of games that could help me? Such as a particular role being able to swing the game more in my favor, or playing specific champs...Or even just split pushing all game? Do any of these work better than the others?
Plat will probably win 70-80% while gold wins 60-70%

There is some strategy that will help, such as level 1 strategy. If your team is super weak, you know you most likely want to stack at certain position to counter their invade, or if your team is really strong, you know you want to invade.

Mid and jungle are always the best roles for carrying due to map control, Top with teleport can also be really strong

Personally I play support to carry though, support carry bottom if you are good. (No matter how bad the ADs are) if you find yourself losing a lot as support, most likely you are just not fit for the role.

- My plat friend just pulled off a 27-3 record with all support, you may say some of them are luck, but this win rate shows that it is not as hard as it is if you do have the skill.

Hirumonogatari

03-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSZHUNG View Post
I've got a question about taking towers. There seems to be a bit of a double edged sword when it comes to bot lane tower. you don't want to push it down too early because it hurts your farm, but you should push and pressurize towers when the enemy is elsewhere.

say we see the enemy jungle camping top. mid just pinged that their mid is going top to help. that's 3 out of the enemy team going top. at bot lane, assuming roughly equal farm, should we be trying to push the lane as quick as possible and attack the tower? should we leave bot lane and try to push mid lane to take the mid tower? or should we do nothing and continue farming the lane?

i ask because taking the tower hurts your farming capability, but just continue farming means we're not penalizing the enemy team for focusing on top.
hope you can provide opinions as well. thanks.

Byerley

03-14-2013

I'm in a rut between silver I and II. I've been at roughly the same elo, mid 1400s to low 1500s, since the beginning of S2.

My laning is average without a lot of variance (I do tend to win mid by a decent cs margin). By my own criteria, I rarely have terrible games, but statistically I lose a startling percentage whenever a streak gets me out of my rut.

I've tried switching my play a fair number of times:
- In S1->S2 I played a lot of Janna, both mid and support
- Mid S2 I rode Eve/Taric in their standard roles
- Late S2 I worked hard on refining my Orianna mechanics
- In S3 I've done a lot of filling (Rumble/Vi top, Orianna and more recently Viktor mid, Alistar/Lulu bot, Vi/Sej jungle)

(I do try to keep match-ups in mind, but I haven't found my regular champions to be hard-countered by much of anyone)

My elo always normalizes in the same range after sticking with the changes for a while. This leads me to believe I'm doing something fundamentally wrong (not champion/lane specific) when I hit the 1500+ range.

How can I hone in on my problem and/or how can I more significantly switch up my playstyle?

ExecutionerK

03-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSZHUNG View Post
hope you can provide opinions as well. thanks.
Look at the situations

1. Do the enemy bottom lane have good wave clear ability
2. Can the enemy mid stop a 4 men push
3. Do you need map control

Question 1 answer how well the enemy can regroup when you try to force a siege. The less the wave clear, the better it is for your team

Question 2 answer whether it is smart to siege mid or not, If the enemy have strong AP mid such as Anivia or Lux who are really good at defending the turret, chances are that you don't want to siege mid.

Question 3 tell you whether it is necessary to take the turret or not. In this case usually you want to look at the mobility of your team. If your team's mobility beats the other team, then you want to take it down and force the enemies to move around you.

ExecutionerK

03-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinking Violet View Post
I'm in a rut between silver I and II. I've been at roughly the same elo, mid 1400s to low 1500s, since the beginning of S2.

My laning is average without a lot of variance (I do tend to win mid by a decent cs margin). By my own criteria, I rarely have terrible games, but statistically I lose a startling percentage whenever a streak gets me out of my rut.

I've tried switching my play a fair number of times:
- In S1->S2 I played a lot of Janna, both mid and support
- Mid S2 I rode Eve/Taric in their standard roles
- Late S2 I worked hard on refining my Orianna mechanics
- In S3 I've done a lot of filling (Rumble/Vi top, Orianna and more recently Viktor mid, Alistar/Lulu bot, Vi/Sej jungle)

(I do try to keep match-ups in mind, but I haven't found my regular champions to be hard-countered by much of anyone)

My elo always normalizes in the same range after sticking with the changes for a while. This leads me to believe I'm doing something fundamentally wrong (not champion/lane specific) when I hit the 1500+ range.

How can I hone in on my problem and/or how can I more significantly switch up my playstyle?
It seems that you have a general understanding of all the champions now. meaning you should start moving deep on mechanics.

Start by practicing two complete different styles. All-in aggressive and passive farm style. Or just tell me which one you prefer and I will give you something to work with.

totalwar235

03-14-2013

im in silver 5 and have gotten to the point i am counter picking on my own and I caught a kayle going top. my team suggested a Ryze and i sort of agreed with them because of our AD heavy team. we didnt even start the game but I am wondering if this would be a viable option against kayle top.

ExecutionerK

03-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalwar235 View Post
im in silver 5 and have gotten to the point i am counter picking on my own and I caught a kayle going top. my team suggested a Ryze and i sort of agreed with them because of our AD heavy team. we didnt even start the game but I am wondering if this would be a viable option against kayle top.
Ryze is not a bad pick but definitely not a counter pick.