Help thread for players, answer by 1800s.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ExecutionerK

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aemon Darkstar View Post
Hi.
I'm currently 1358 elo, was unranked in S1 (due to leaves caused by retarded powercuts -.-). I'm aiming for Gold this season, and hope to at least hit Silver.
My best role is solo top. I can play Malphite, Volibear, Udyr, Cho'gath, Teemo, Warwick, Olaf, Wukong, Kayle, Garen, Jarvan, Fizz, Shen, Singed at top, with varying levels of skill. Probably best with with Malph, Voli, Teemo, Warwick, Shen, Olaf and Fizz.
My next best is AD carry. My go-to carries being Tristana, Kog'maw, Varus and Corki. The first two I'm pretty good with, the next two I'm alright.
I jungle some as well, but limited pool. Udyr, Malphite, Jarvan, Warwick and I guess Voli and Mundo are my junglers. Generally if I jungle I use the first two, for obvious reasons.
I'm an okay support, but I HATE doing it. I loathe it because it makes me feel helpless about the outcome of the game (yes I'm one of those players, but I respect good supports). Still, I can do Soraka, Sona, Taric, Nunu.
AP is my weakest. I own mid champs, but I'm way underconfident with them. Morde, Ryze, Annie, Fizz, Katarina, and Ziggs are the ones I CAN play.

Now I know I need work. Last hitting is something I continuously try to improve, and buff/dragon/baron timing is what I really need work with. My map awareness is alright, needs work but I guess it comes with experience. I ward frequently, and know the spots for it. My positioning is, GENERALLY, fairly good/decent with top/AD/jungler but I screw up now and then. I know the logic of counterpicking, and I'm trying to expand my top roster for it.
As a top, I harass, farm, ward, gank mid/invade when I can. I know how to counterpick.
As AD, I try to CS like nuts, and go in for a kill as/when I can. My problem is missing about... say 1-2 CS a wave, roughly, which is bad.
As jungler, I have trouble with buff timers and invading. My ganking is generally alright.
As support, I ward, harass, buff effectively. But I just hate doing it -.-
As mid... gah. I can CS okay, but I don't have enough experience with this role. I don't know when I can go for a kill and when not. When I can steal wraiths and when not. When I should gank and when not.

How should I go about raising my elo? Tough to get Top every match, even tougher hoping that other lanes won't completely fail till I get strong. Jungle seems a better bet, and it gave me good results last season too (and this season as well I guess). Going AD is always a gamble, because if the solos feed, I get dived hardcore by fed bruisers/APs, though I've had it okay so far. Often I have to deal with supporting, because in solo ranked at this level people just rage/afk/feed if they don't get their roles. I'm one of those nice-guy types, don't like to ***** at anyone and let people play what they're good at.
Advice? Any tips at all? Anything I'm overlooking that'll help me out?
'Your roster is definitely better than most people in ranked. Rather than expanding it even more, you should focus on few specific champions. Ideally the one that can really win early game and still scale decently into late game. Since you are in 1358 range, I suggest you to play something that can easily win the lane with skill, such as Olaf for top or Kennen for mid. Both of these champions have pretty strong early game and really strong mid game, and still a decent late game.

If you are being forced to support, I suggest you to either go aggressive support, or go with kill lane champion. Aggressive supports such as Leona or Alistar work really well for making plays, while kill lane champion such as Lux might not have as much crowd control as the above two, but can easily kill the enemy and destroy their lane. These two types are the best when you are not sure of the ranged AD skill.

ExecutionerK

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elodius View Post
Would you happen to know where some good video with commentary for Yorick would be that's (worth watching) Ive seen a few on Youtube and they were not very good.
There are few Yorick guides on solomid, but I think someone need to make some more specific video for Yorick. Currently the ones that I see are not even onto my skill level (and yes, I admit that my Yorick sucks really bad)

ExecutionerK

06-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Dragon 33 View Post
Is 100% Crit Chance worth it? By the time my carry's full build is complete, they have an 85% chance of scoring a critical strike. Getting 100% would be nice, but would require changing my rune page from straight up attack speed to straight up crit, which is kind of a nasty thing to think. Is 85% "good enough"?
Go with 85% and buy Green Elixir. stacking to 100% crit is usually unnecessary and that item slot can be best to go with some other defensive item to allow you to have room for mistakes.

ExecutionerK

06-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazaan View Post
What is your opinion on experience masteries and quints on jungle champs? Would a jungler with full exp. masteries and quints have an advantage over a jungler with out them? Theoretically the jungler with the exp bonus should be able to hit level 6 faster and gank earlier right?

P.S. I love reading this thread. You have done a great service to the League community by making this thread.
I remember that at some point I did test to run with 1 exp quints. It allow you to level up to level 3 after finishing wraith, red, and double golem.

Not sure whether it still works or not, but in some cases it works REALLY WELL for junglers that needs to hit level 3 for good ganks. (Red start Nocturne hitting level 3 after finishing top jungle is really, really scary.

ExecutionerK

06-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zammwich View Post
Hiya first off I'd like to say I really appreciate this thread, found a lot of useful info here so far!

As for my question in may be a little bit general but ill try to get as specific as possible ^^ Basically I started playing league solo and had been solo for awhile but recently a fair few of rl friends have started playing and are all roughly in the mid to late 20's. (I am 30 but have yet to play ranked games >.<) I have watched a fair few of streams and feel like I have a fair understanding of the game. But I find that when we play as a premade 5 we get dominated 9 times out of 10.During the laning phase everyone does really well but as soon as it ends we just get out played. As the more experienced player of the group I'm sorta expected to lead them but my knowledge of team fights and coordinating the team is really limited as I played most my games solo >.< Are there some basic guidelines/ tips I can pass on to my teammates to help us be more effective as a team? Also if you are aware of any general team play guides that would be infinitely helpful ^^ Thank you!
Basic guidelines? Well..

1. Never give out map objectives for free. Even if they have 5 guys at dragon and you only have 2, you should get someone to push top turret in exchange for that dragon.

2. Map control is the key, wards might cost a lot to maintain, but you will find them totally worth the cost

3. Never farm along in a lane when the enemy groups up. You either push or group up as well. Farming IS NOT AN OPINION.

4. Kills help to win the game, but it is not the only factor. Do not dive two turrets for a kill, your death might cost your team a game (and if your teammates actually tried to help you across two turrets....you will probably get aced)

ExecutionerK

06-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AweAeriswalker View Post
I really enjoy playing top lane champions and I was wondering if there are any things that you always keep in mind playing top. Sometimes I get zoned out pretty badly so I was wondering how I can maintain the balance in lane or perhaps even tip it in my favour.

As for team fights, do you have any suggestions for positioning for a champion like Wukong, Jarvan, or Darius?

Thanks!
Aggressive top laners will usually either want to push to the enemy turret, or let the minion push to their turret, so that they can zone the enemy more effectively.

If the minions are right between the 1st brush of the lane and the turret, sometime it is much better if you push it so that the minion resets and push toward your favor. Minion control while not overextending will help you to win top lane a lot more.

Prof Zam

06-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExecutionerKen View Post
Basic guidelines? Well..

1. Never give out map objectives for free. Even if they have 5 guys at dragon and you only have 2, you should get someone to push top turret in exchange for that dragon.

2. Map control is the key, wards might cost a lot to maintain, but you will find them totally worth the cost

3. Never farm along in a lane when the enemy groups up. You either push or group up as well. Farming IS NOT AN OPINION.

4. Kills help to win the game, but it is not the only factor. Do not dive two turrets for a kill, your death might cost your team a game (and if your teammates actually tried to help you across two turrets....you will probably get aced)
I appreciate the quick response I will be sure to keep that all in mind! I had a few more question hope more then one is aloud xD

First off I find my team running into the same situation a lot ^^ there will be sorta the stand off in mid lane between the 2 teams looking for a team fight engage and I will notice top or bottom lane has a really heavy minion push that will surely take a tower if not attended to, but at the same time the lack of a teammate could cause the other team to force the team fight with a 1 man advantage and if we moved as a team to counter it the opposing team could surely push mid lane while we are gone. What is the best choice for a situation?^^

Tamerak

06-20-2012

Hi ExecutionerKen, I'd like to first of all thank you for being so persistent with everybody's questions!

I've been stuck in the 1550s->1600 elo range for a few weeks and I've found there are two general teams I get:
Team 1)Executes all fights near perfect and we can quickly force a surrender or snowball into a meatgrinder
Team 2)My teammates run into horrible situations and feed a few kills then flame the team for not being able to support their suicides.

I main AD carry, I can usually out farm their AD carry by 20-40 by 15 minutes and maybe pick up a kill or two with a solid support. I go for mostly Ashe, Vayne, or Graves(in that order). Currently it's almost always Ashe since I can carry on her the hardest once I have the IE/PD combo. (I play with my plat buddies a lot)

My question is: How can I deal with these very unreliable teammates? Should I learn to play a different role that will have a larger impact over the course of the game?

Thanks!

zzhcet

06-20-2012

Hi, i'm starting to play jungle, and i want to know what is the best runes to go jungle with champions like lee sin , amumu , ww , alistar ? And i've the same question to the top lane to champions like riven, kayle,akali etc.. thank you for the answer guys !

ExecutionerK

06-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zammwich View Post
I appreciate the quick response I will be sure to keep that all in mind! I had a few more question hope more then one is aloud xD

First off I find my team running into the same situation a lot ^^ there will be sorta the stand off in mid lane between the 2 teams looking for a team fight engage and I will notice top or bottom lane has a really heavy minion push that will surely take a tower if not attended to, but at the same time the lack of a teammate could cause the other team to force the team fight with a 1 man advantage and if we moved as a team to counter it the opposing team could surely push mid lane while we are gone. What is the best choice for a situation?^^
You need to quickly decide on whether the enemy can take your team down 5v4 with the turret, or it is possible to camp it out. If you can camp it, often time you can send your ranged AD (at this point most of them still doesn't scale that well just yet) and go shove the pushed lane. (or whoever is closest to the lane) the rest of the team should then camp at the turret, killing all the minions that comes in to prevent the enemy from doing damage to the turret.

Mid game turret stills hurt quite a lot, and can count as 1.5 player if you keep the enemy in the turret range. The whole point at this situation is to get the most out of everything. Delay enemy push and get more gold for the ranged AD. This tactic however, doesn't work when it is later in the game, as ranged AD will then be needed in the team fight, thus the turret become a much smaller threat.