"I hate non-meta ********"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GoodShepperd

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-09-2012

This is the response I got when I told a teammate I would go mid with Sivir to counter the other team's Morgana pick.

this type of thing happens all the time. If you step one centimeter out of the "meta" you get flamed. News Flash: "Meta" means almost nothing at 1100 ELO, player skill and counter picking at low ELO have much larger impact than team comp.

I'm not saying you should run around with 5 AD carries, but srsly some of these players need to put a little more thought into their champion picks,

breadbocks

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-09-2012

Fun Fact: The meta is where it is because, wait for it, it works. Tanky sustain types solo top? They need to be immune to heavy harass. AP solomid? AP benefits the most from solo lane levels, and mid is a shorter lane by further, which means ap levels faster. AD + Support goes bot because Ranged ADs are very, very liable to get splat on their own, so need the support to babysit.

BarbeqdBrwniez

01-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by breadbocks View Post
Fun Fact: The meta is where it is because, wait for it, it works. Tanky sustain types solo top? They need to be immune to heavy harass. AP solomid? AP benefits the most from solo lane levels, and mid is a shorter lane by further, which means ap levels faster. AD + Support goes bot because Ranged ADs are very, very liable to get splat on their own, so need the support to babysit.
More fun fact: There are counterpicks, for instance, GP and a few other bruisers can shut down certain AP mids. Rumble can shut down a lot of bruisers top. Small changes, counterpicking, and player skill can win games much easier than hoping that your meta comp is better than theirs.

Glamrock69

01-09-2012

Why would ANYONE play the metagame when you're not in Skype with the other 5 players?

YOU HAVE TO CARRY TO WIN SOLO QUEUE CONSISTENTLY

AAAARGH

LexCor

01-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by breadbocks View Post
Fun Fact: The meta is where it is because, wait for it, it works.
*BUZZ!* Wrong again, skippy! Unpredictable picks in ANY queue, be it Solo/Duo or Team, can throw off your laning opponent's game sharply. Swain dominates bruisers top, but has literally NO inherent sustain until 6, and even then it's costly as hell.
My buddy and I play Pantheon and Veigar to counter the joe-shmoe Support+AD Carry bottom, and we faceroll them.
The meta works for the pros and in tournaments, and even then they're ****ing around with it now. Chances are if you're reading this forum category, you're neither a pro nor playing in tournaments. Riot doesn't release champions to fit the meta, they release them to BREAK the meta. Use them.
Sheep.

FaerellG

01-09-2012

While, I might understand if someone flamed you for going Yi-mid, Sivir is a perfectly viable mid pick. Despite doing physical damage, her burst damage capability and how well it scales up with level makes her a perfectly viable mid-pick. Additionally, she has spell shield which counters the vast majority of of AP mids.

Characters like Sivir, Talon, and Urgot can effectively be played as "mage" characters that do physical damage...especially in the early game.

So, picking Sivir mid doesn't really "break" the meta. It bends it slightly, and it was probably the right decision in that game.

Glamrock69

01-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexCor View Post
*BUZZ!* Wrong again, skippy! Unpredictable picks in ANY queue, be it Solo/Duo or Team, can throw off your laning opponent's game sharply. Swain dominates bruisers top, but has literally NO inherent sustain until 6, and even then it's costly as hell.
My buddy and I play Pantheon and Veigar to counter the joe-shmoe Support+AD Carry bottom, and we faceroll them.
The meta works for the pros and in tournaments, and even then they're ****ing around with it now. Chances are if you're reading this forum category, you're neither a pro nor playing in tournaments. Riot doesn't release champions to fit the meta, they release them to BREAK the meta. Use them.
Sheep.
QFT.

You've got to COUNTER YOUR LANE to win it.

Obeying the "meta" leaves it all up to chance.

Breaking the meta allows you to come in with a champion-based advantage and dominate.

GoodShepperd

01-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaerellG View Post
While, I might understand if someone flamed you for going Yi-mid, Sivir is a perfectly viable mid pick. Despite doing physical damage, her burst damage capability and how well it scales up with level makes her a perfectly viable mid-pick. Additionally, she has spell shield which counters the vast majority of of AP mids.

Characters like Sivir, Talon, and Urgot can effectively be played as "mage" characters that do physical damage...especially in the early game.

So, picking Sivir mid doesn't really "break" the meta. It bends it slightly, and it was probably the right decision in that game.
exactly, i guess i kinda mashed up two different issues. But the point I'm trying to make is that too many players see the "meta" as this really static thing that they have to cling to as closely as possible even if it means ignoring obvious counter picks. The Meta keeps shifting around for a reason, although this one has been around for a while now

AMonkeyCourier

01-09-2012

ITT: People who don't understand what the word metagame means.

AvariciousHippo

01-09-2012

Watch more pro vids on you-tube, then solo queue and yell at everyone if they don't do exactly what happens in the pro vids!