Tell me about Galio...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-10-2012

So what exactly makes Galio so stubborn as a defender exactly?

I mean, all champs can pretty much hold out 1v1. So defense usually involves at least a 2v1 or 3v1.

His shield is nice and all but its 3.5 seconds long! oh wait... FOUR whole seconds now. (13 sec cooldown). So yeah, he basically gets an Alistar Ult for about half the duration.

Then hes got the taunt which adds 50% DR but only for 2 seconds with incredibly long CD.

But he has no CC, unlike Alistar and doesn't do much damage. His CDs are pretty long so after he smite/gusts to stop the capping from the tower-damage-stopper, it takes a while for him to be able to interrupt it again.

As mentioned he isn't very useful offensively either. He isn't particularly great vs AP either.. I mean you cant have it both ways... where you have a balanced tank build and yet he still has incredible MR.
Galio doesn't have very good health so he needs some help in that regard.

I guess I fail to see how one would want Galio over Alistar who is a similarly tough defender and has very useful CC and even a bit of healing.

----
How would you recommend to build Galio in Dominion? He really wants some CDR badly, and badly needs health. Frozen Heart seems like a good pick to me for his armor item/CDR/mana. I dont see whats so bad about 3 negatrons either...which can be upgraded Abyssal for offense, Odins for health/defense, and maybe a quicksilver. Then deathcap for a final item for some extra AP.

That puts him at 30 MR +56 +50 +58 = 200ish = 100 AP, plus 155 cap, plus 70 abyssal = 320x1.3 = 400ish.

Health of 2400ish, 180ish armor, 200ish MR, with 20% extra CDR. sorc shoes for damage or merc treads for MR/tenacity.

Demonite10

01-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrrrax View Post
So what exactly makes Galio so stubborn as a defender exactly?

I mean, all champs can pretty much hold out 1v1. So defense usually involves at least a 2v1 or 3v1.

His shield is nice and all but its 3.5 seconds long! oh wait... FOUR whole seconds now. (13 sec cooldown). So yeah, he basically gets an Alistar Ult for about half the duration.

Then hes got the taunt which adds 50% DR but only for 2 seconds with incredibly long CD.

But he has no CC, unlike Alistar and doesn't do much damage. His CDs are pretty long so after he smite/gusts to stop the capping from the tower-damage-stopper, it takes a while for him to be able to interrupt it again.

As mentioned he isn't very useful offensively either. He isn't particularly great vs AP either.. I mean you cant have it both ways... where you have a balanced tank build and yet he still has incredible MR.
Galio doesn't have very good health so he needs some help in that regard.

I guess I fail to see how one would want Galio over Alistar who is a similarly tough defender and has very useful CC and even a bit of healing.

----
How would you recommend to build Galio in Dominion? He really wants some CDR badly, and badly needs health. Frozen Heart seems like a good pick to me for his armor item/CDR/mana. I dont see whats so bad about 3 negatrons either...which can be upgraded Abyssal for offense, Odins for health/defense, and maybe a quicksilver. Then deathcap for a final item for some extra AP.

That puts him at 30 MR +56 +50 +58 = 200ish = 100 AP, plus 155 cap, plus 70 abyssal = 320x1.3 = 400ish.

Health of 2400ish, 180ish armor, 200ish MR, with 20% extra CDR. sorc shoes for damage or merc treads for MR/tenacity.
He's such a good defender because he can wipe out creep waves easily, he's hard to kill and his Bulwark gives him a sickening amount of healing if you build him right(SV+AP). He's so hard to kill that it's unlikely to happen in a 1v1 or 1v2 situation, and even in 1v3 situations it'll take a second for him to go down. It doesn't sound that great, but in a situation where you have help a few seconds away, it makes a big difference. Also, with Garrison and his ult, a multi-man gank can turn into a multi-man wipe.

Would you want Galio over Alistar? Guess that depends on the player. I'm just here to say that Galio isn't trash tier as a tanky support, but he isn't OP tier.

________

When building Galio I aim for a trifecta - HP, armor and magic resist. Despite his passive, it's not a good idea to load him up on MR, even when the whole enemy team is AP. His Bulwark gives so much armor and MR that you don't have to build full tank either. Normally, I build Chalice, Mercs, SV, Glacial and Odin's. Chalice for mana and MR(cause Galio is mana hungry), Mercs for boots2 and MR, SV for HP, MR, CDR and the passive, Glacial for armor, mana and CDR and Odin's for MR and even more HP and MP. I base the build order on who hurts the most from the enemy team. The two AP items I recommend for Galio are Deathcap and Abyssal Scepter.

Trevorcop

01-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkhill View Post
he's terrible against any team with cc. so basically, he's terrible.
I feel like you could say this about any single champion in Dominion. Expound on that. What cc would particularly shut down Galio? - I think I disagree with your point, particularly due to the idea that an enemy team's cc will be focusing your carries - not so much Galio.

Rekluze

01-10-2012

Seems from reading that the single biggest complaint/criticism so far is Galio's long CD on abilities, so hitting the CDR cap early seems vital.

With a 40% CDR his abilities go off at:

Resolute Smite: 4.2 sec
Bulkwark: 7.8 sec
Righteous Gust: 7.2 sec
Idol of Durand: 78 sec

For comparison Morgana's abilities with 40% CDR clock in at:

Dark Binding: 6.6 sec
Tormented Soil: 6 sec
Black Shield: 9 sec
Soul Shackles: 60 sec

Now, I've played right around 50 games as Morgana with a CDR build and I feel I can safely say that I haven't felt constrained by cd's on my abilities, being able to shield multiple times during multi-player engagements and cast Dark Binding nearly at will.

In comparison Galio's nuke and shield are on shorter cd, though he picks up a second with his 1.2secs on his Righteous Gust and 18secs on his ult, which though seems a lot still leaves it in that range where it should be up at some point every fight.

This leads me to believe the people who have issues with the cd's on his abilities haven't built enough CDR into him.

seems the real trick is picking the right CDR items to build depending on the team you are facing.

Demonite10

01-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorcop View Post
I feel like you could say this about any single champion in Dominion. Expound on that. What cc would particularly shut down Galio? - I think I disagree with your point, particularly due to the idea that an enemy team's cc will be focusing your carries - not so much Galio.
CC doesn't shut Galio down, it shuts his ult down. Any CC automatically stops Galio's ult, and that can ruin some of his plays. (like flash Ult...Udyr is there in Bear Stance...)

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-11-2012

The problem is getting sufficient CC into the build. Frozen Heart is really the only item I can think of that works really well with him. Although it doesn't give any health so probably isn't a good first item.

He probably wants sorc shoes, so Ionic is out...or at least suboptimal.

Spirit Visage I guess is ok with him, though its expensive for what it does and only provides 10%.

If they had a decent health item in Dominion it would help a lot. Rod is kind of meh, and not really ideal on Galio. Frozen Mallet sucks obviously. Sunfire cape isn't all that great on him. So Odins is really his only decent health item. Sweeper is actually pretty decent combining CDR and health and AP in a fairly efficient package. Soul shroud is expensive for just health and CDR as the mana regen isnt needed. Reverie isn't really ideal either for the same reason. Rylais isnt very efficient and 15% slow isn't that great since all his stuff is AoE.