Breaking news! The windmill is not the only node!

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PiercingFerocity

Junior Member

01-07-2012

Please people, if there are 4 enemy champs guarding the windmill, go capture ANOTHER POINT. Even if you group up and manage to take it, it probably would have been better to force a fight elsewhere.

I dunno what happened: when Dominion first came out, people actually made smarter plays than this.

I'm starting to suspect that there are an awful lot of incognito bots in LoL these days...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CaptainSoda

Senior Member

01-07-2012

4 people at windmill?

Ready to set their team on fire?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FDru

Senior Member

01-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiercingFerocity View Post
I dunno what happened: when Dominion first came out, people actually made smarter plays than this.
Really? Cause I remember that "Winmill" was the common nickname for Windmill and every game revolved around both teams suicide bombing it because it was considered the only objective on the map (with the possible exception of one derp running around with mobility + priscillas ninja capping).

Things are much better now... though the few times I've played blind pick the meta seemed to still be stuck at "get Windmill or we lose". God I hate blind pick.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PiercingFerocity

Junior Member

01-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDru View Post
Really? Cause I remember that "Winmill" was the common nickname for Windmill and every game revolved around both teams suicide bombing it because it was considered the only objective on the map (with the possible exception of one derp running around with mobility + priscillas ninja capping).

Things are much better now... though the few times I've played blind pick the meta seemed to still be stuck at "get Windmill or we lose". God I hate blind pick.
I had been playing blind pick before now due to the shorter start up time, but after reading your post I committed myself to a couple of draft games. I was pleasantly surprised with level of tactical sense displayed by my teams and my enemies


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AnyOtherEnemy

Senior Member

01-07-2012

The windmill is the only node equidistant from both spawn points and therefore there is no inherent advantage to either team.

Hence why you try to take it. You have a better chance at succeeding than any of the others, ON AVERAGE.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AAARRRRGGGGGHHHH

Senior Member

01-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawn dragon View Post
The windmill is the only node equidistant from both spawn points and therefore there is no inherent advantage to either team.

Hence why you try to take it. You have a better chance at succeeding than any of the others, ON AVERAGE.
if their entire team is already mobilized onto it and guarding it and your team is already mobilized and ready to fight then it doesn't matter which point the fight takes place on

a 4v4 at the windmill isn't suddenly better than a 4v4 at the drill simply because the windmill is farther from their spawn.

there are advantages to taking the opposing mid. though they are able to heal up and return to the battle much sooner, by controlling their mid you also place pressure on their control of the windmill (and of bottom). if they send too many from windmill to retake mid, you can simply fall back and exchange their mid for windmill,. if they desert top entirely you can even take both windmill (since it is undefended 2v0) and their bot (who cannot hope to win 3v1). if they don't send enough you can sit on mid.

the reason taking mid is frowned upon in blind pick is because people keep doing it alone and with terrible champions who cannot hope to defend the point 1v1. they send one back to retake the point and then your team calls you a dumbass for spending that much time moving to the point to end up not even holding it for 5 seconds (or failing to capture it entirely)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ascleph

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-07-2012

Usually, the idea of asaulting their mid or bot is to put pressure on their top defense because the ultimate goal is.... to take top, yep.
The only other point that can be reasonably hold while top belongs to the other team is bot.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sealpup

Member

01-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiercingFerocity View Post
Please people, if there are 4 enemy champs guarding the windmill, go capture ANOTHER POINT. Even if you group up and manage to take it, it probably would have been better to force a fight elsewhere.
What you say is true, it's what the high elo/team players do.

But, in a pug of 5 solo queues, it's difficult to coordinate that to be successful, especially the ones that haven't seen that strategy executed previously.

Therefore people go the safe route, gather 4 top and hope to make a comeback.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ardnalis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealpup View Post
What you say is true, it's what the high elo/team players do.

But, in a pug of 5 solo queues, it's difficult to coordinate that to be successful, especially the ones that haven't seen that strategy executed previously.

Therefore people go the safe route, gather 4 top and hope to make a comeback.
"Harass, but don't engage, trying for a backcap."

Communication is key. I know, I know: Easier said than done. But even still, if they have 4 people at top pinned down, sending your assassin bottom to assassinate their bottom will often times result in one of a few actions, if the gank is successful:
-You grab the point
--One of the enemies at top will base, leaving it a 3v3 and a 2v1 at bottom.
--Two of the enemies at top will base, leaving it a 3v2 and a 2v2 at bottom.
--The enemy, noticing they have a numbers advantage, will charge out forcing a 3v4 fight.
---You counter this by grabbing their mid.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

jars

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-08-2012

if their team is standing on the windmill you blow them up with aoe for having such bad positioning. ganking bot can work, but going for mid is in general a bad idea no matter what.


12