What champs are good on Dominion?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

73lack Valor

Senior Member

01-07-2012

Tank/CDR Warwick is so full of win on Dominion.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Exsnypre

Senior Member

01-07-2012

How about here's a list of champs to avoid, because they generally turn into weak links on a team: (These champs aren't useless, but most people in my experience just seem to screw things up playing them)


Nunu (an overall bad kit for dominion, might help you cap top early, but horrific late game as anything but a chaser)
Volibear (if you're stupid and build him AS instead of as a tank, and I laugh every time someone tries to use his 'Q' to run away)
Leona (if you're stupid and build her pure AP instead of as a tank, also she outputs minimal damage no matter how she's built)
Shen (he doesn't really do anything but ult)
Amumu (can be successful, but can't 1v1 anybody and people try to build him pure AP instead of as a tank, potentially awesome with help)
Galio (he's just not a strong enough mage to win fights consistently)
Janna and Sona (sure they can work, but most people don't know how to actually succeed with these two as damage dealers)
Zilean (You have to know who to ult and when and be ready to run all over the place, most people try to play him like a standard mage)
Kayle (If you're ulting yourself 9 out of 10 fights you're doing it wrong, you deal less damage than just about every AD or AP carry, also Malady, Guinsoo's Rageblade, and Hextech Gunblade are your best friends)

Those champs are difficult to succeed with due to shortcomings in their kits or tendencies for people to be absolutely moronic with their builds due to bad scaling or poor synergy.

Despite what other have said, Eve and Twitch are fairly easy to play. You gank with a teammate where ever possible and target low health enemies for easy kills and back cap when down a point. AP or AD work for Eve too.

Also, as a note (and a personal pet peeve of mine): if you're playing an AP caster Rabbadon's Deathcap should be thought of as a REQUIRED item and not a luxury item. Build it as your 2nd major item (after boots and Archangel's Staff, Rod of Ages, or Rylai's Scepter). If you don't build it, you're gimping yourself because the enemy team's AP casters WILL build it.

Another note, if you're gonna play Ryze build either Catalyst of the Protector or Tear of the Goddess (recommended) first, finish your boots, then build the other before building other items. You'll get more mana faster that way to ramp up your damage. Only finish off Odyn's Veil and Archangel's Staff (or Manamune, heck both if you want to be cheeky) after getting a Frozen Heart and maybe a Hextech Revolver. You'll be more survivable with roughly the same damage output.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fenthis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-07-2012

I would argue against kayle... and alot of the amumu's i have seen do excellent


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Exsnypre

Senior Member

01-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenthis View Post
I would argue against kayle... and alot of the amumu's i have seen do excellent
It's more a "most people don't understand her well enough to do good with her" argument than a lack of viability. She's outstanding bordering on unstoppable when played well, but that's about 1 out of every 50 Kayles I see. I've got about 700 dominion games played and I may have seen 2 good Kayles and 1 great one. The others have generally been laughable. Wasting their ult 1v3 rather than waiting until after they die and come back with help, ulting a zero health ally who's already run away from a fight and doesn't intend to turn around, ulting the tank rather than the carry when both are low health, etc.

Amumu is similar in that most people I see playing him just don't know what they're doing. They initiate fights under the enemy tower because their team was waiting in the bush for a gank so they thought they'd have help, they ult to kill an enemy they are chasing when 2 of it's teammates are headed for him or other stupidity. They play as though their team is always gonna jump in and fight with them just because they're there, no matter how hopeless the fight could be. I've literally seen an Amumu bandage toss from the brush by mid tower and ult a full team of 5 only to moan because their 1 teammate who was in the brush with them didn't go help. I don't know what it is about Amumu, but tactically deficient morons seem to always be the guys playing him.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

maxusmaximus

Senior Member

01-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exsnypre View Post
How about here's a list of champs to avoid, because they generally turn into weak links on a team: (These champs aren't useless, but most people in my experience just seem to screw things up playing them)

Nunu (an overall bad kit for dominion, might help you cap top early, but horrific late game as anything but a chaser)
Volibear (if you're stupid and build him AS instead of as a tank, and I laugh every time someone tries to use his 'Q' to run away)
Leona (if you're stupid and build her pure AP instead of as a tank, also she outputs minimal damage no matter how she's built)
Shen (he doesn't really do anything but ult)
Amumu (can be successful, but can't 1v1 anybody and people try to build him pure AP instead of as a tank, potentially awesome with help)
Galio (he's just not a strong enough mage to win fights consistently)
Janna and Sona (sure they can work, but most people don't know how to actually succeed with these two as damage dealers)
Zilean (You have to know who to ult and when and be ready to run all over the place, most people try to play him like a standard mage)
Kayle (If you're ulting yourself 9 out of 10 fights you're doing it wrong, you deal less damage than just about every AD or AP carry, also Malady, Guinsoo's Rageblade, and Hextech Gunblade are your best friends)

Those champs are difficult to succeed with due to shortcomings in their kits or tendencies for people to be absolutely moronic with their builds due to bad scaling or poor synergy.

Also, as a note (and a personal pet peeve of mine): if you're playing an AP caster Rabbadon's Deathcap should be thought of as a REQUIRED item and not a luxury item. Build it as your 2nd major item (after boots and Archangel's Staff, Rod of Ages, or Rylai's Scepter). If you don't build it, you're gimping yourself because the enemy team's AP casters WILL build it.
Sona is my main and my go to champ when i want a win. very rarely do badly with her. a lot of people go ad with her but i think this is a mistake - so many better ad champs around - use her strengths like her amazing synergy with Lich bane - she puts out amazing damage - worked it out that with LB and deathcap, sorc boots and prospectors ring you can do around 2k damage in around 2 seconds when your ult is up combined with Q + LB proc. very few champs will survive other than tanks. just gotta make sure you are the one initiating the fight not getting out of position and getting ganked.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Exsnypre

Senior Member

01-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxusmaximus View Post
Sona is my main and my go to champ when i want a win. very rarely do badly with her. a lot of people go ad with her but i think this is a mistake - so many better ad champs around - use her strengths like her amazing synergy with Lich bane - she puts out amazing damage - worked it out that with LB and deathcap, sorc boots and prospectors ring you can do around 2k damage in around 2 seconds when your ult is up combined with Q + LB proc. very few champs will survive other than tanks. just gotta make sure you are the one initiating the fight not getting out of position and getting ganked.
Thing is, what AP character doesn't put out amazing damage with Deathcap and Lichbane? Sona doesn't really add much to a team other than a tiny speed boost and a really weak heal, and her AP ratios are kind of bad due to her low cooldowns. AP characters need to be able to burst for massive damage, and Sona just can't.

I wanna stress again though, my list isn't characters that aren't viable, it's characters people are generally unsuccessful with, at least in my experience.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Quick Rawr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-07-2012

As DPS/AD Carry is a popular pick in Dominion, Teemo is a VERY strong pick. Strong map control, OP blind, serious DOT. He's just amazing. Just went 20-5 in two games back to back.

Edit: Kayle is one of THE strongest picks for Dom. Serious? Avoid?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Exsnypre

Senior Member

01-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Rawr View Post
Edit: Kayle is one of THE strongest picks for Dom. Serious? Avoid?
If you can't play her well, yes avoid her like the plague. She's can be outstanding when played well, she's nearly useless the rest of the time. There are TONS more bad Kayles out there than good Kayles.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

maxusmaximus

Senior Member

01-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exsnypre View Post
Thing is, what AP character doesn't put out amazing damage with Deathcap and Lichbane? Sona doesn't really add much to a team other than a tiny speed boost and a really weak heal, and her AP ratios are kind of bad due to her low cooldowns. AP characters need to be able to burst for massive damage, and Sona just can't.

I wanna stress again though, my list isn't characters that aren't viable, it's characters people are generally unsuccessful with, at least in my experience.
people are generally unsuccessful with champs when a) they hardly ever play that champ b) have unfortunately been teamed against champs that hard counter them c) havent found an optimal build yet.

i wouldnt underestimate her damage.. she hits around 4-500dmg from one Q to two people + if she follows up with passive proc + LB she will hit one of them for a further 900dmg. this is all the while being safely out of range of most champs. if she's initiated with her ult that is another 6-700 or so dmg to both of them. at least one of them will be dead before the dancing wears off and the other has no choice but to run.
her utility with her E is awesome as well pretty much insures that noone can get away when chasing them down and pretty much insures that noone can catch you. her heal while not great still ensures that a 2v2 fight will go your way as long as the teamate is able to tank some hits.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Slivyrr

Senior Member

01-07-2012

Every champ is viable in Dominion.
Even a well-played Eve is. I've seen a few of them go like 40 kills or more with few deaths.

Dominion shows how good you are with your champion in the raw PvP aspect of the game. Despite there being strategies on where to go/cap, it's not so much the strategy/farm oriented game that SR is. This is why the champs are pretty much all good; your champ doesn't need to be a good farm in order to succeed. You just have to be good with the champion.