A Message to Lore Fans: Where our Lore is Going

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ask Katarina

01-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotRaven View Post
Dear fans of League of Legends lore:

You've undoubtedly noticed that we have not released Judgments for our most recent characters, nor have we updated the Journal of Justice within recent months. While we have enjoyed providing you with these additional windows into the Lore of our Champions and the world of Runeterra, we have come to realize that the formats we'd chosen have their limitations. Judgments are stories limited in that they occur only during the intake of a Champion into the League of Legends. The Journal of Justice is limited in that it can only contain in-setting journalistic articles. We have found that these limitations are preventing us from providing you with the background and stories that we really want to share with you, ones that will better appeal to a broad audience.

We have been examining the best way to do this and are still in the process of doing so. However, in the mean time, we will no longer be releasing Judgments. We need to take the time we put into those pieces of fiction and apply it towards finding a better solution. We will be concluding the in-progress storylines and completing the Journal of Justice over two issues, as soon as we spin up the required art resources.

We should have a clearer picture of what will fill these Lore vacuums over the coming months and will keep you updated. Thank you for caring about the Lore behind League of Legends. We promise that what comes next will satisfy!
Have you given some consideration to making well-written and highly rated fan-made judgments official?

EDIT: This thread came up and had a couple interesting replies on this topic.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1682605

Rishiya

01-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotRaven View Post
Dear fans of League of Legends lore:

You've undoubtedly noticed that we have not released Judgments for our most recent characters, nor have we updated the Journal of Justice within recent months. While we have enjoyed providing you with these additional windows into the Lore of our Champions and the world of Runeterra, we have come to realize that the formats we'd chosen have their limitations. Judgments are stories limited in that they occur only during the intake of a Champion into the League of Legends. The Journal of Justice is limited in that it can only contain in-setting journalistic articles. We have found that these limitations are preventing us from providing you with the background and stories that we really want to share with you, ones that will better appeal to a broad audience.

We have been examining the best way to do this and are still in the process of doing so. However, in the mean time, we will no longer be releasing Judgments. We need to take the time we put into those pieces of fiction and apply it towards finding a better solution. We will be concluding the in-progress storylines and completing the Journal of Justice over two issues, as soon as we spin up the required art resources.

We should have a clearer picture of what will fill these Lore vacuums over the coming months and will keep you updated. Thank you for caring about the Lore behind League of Legends. We promise that what comes next will satisfy!
One of the main issues with doing Lore in a game like League of Legends is the fact that we can't really be shown anything in game. Unless you add a new feature (such as Dominon) or have a special set up fight (such as the Ionia/Noxous game) there really isn't much you can do, persay, to really involve the player in a storyline of sorts.

Lore in something like WoW works because you're able to be a part of the quest, reading or seeing the events fold out before you, and actually having a hand in said events. Something like that is a lot harder for something like Lol, where we're actually taking control of the champions in question, so we may act in difference with their own thoughts and desires, which can only really be reflected outside of the game.

The best way, currently, I could see making the lore more involving to the player would either to make up a single player mode of sorts (think something like out of Warcraft 3, where you've got character acting and what not) or to just straight out write long standing stories (or novels even) involving the characters, the League itself, and other such things.

Both of these have issues, though, the former being hard to make a reality (seeing the multiplayer style of League) and the other doesn't involve people who simply enjoy to read. This really just comes to the problem of that as enjoyable as League of Legends is, it's kinda lacking in the department of being able to tell a good story.

Pessimist

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-06-2012

i miss journals and lore :C

Pokeprof

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishiya View Post
One of the main issues with doing Lore in a game like League of Legends is the fact that we can't really be shown anything in game. Unless you add a new feature (such as Dominon) or have a special set up fight (such as the Ionia/Noxous game) there really isn't much you can do, persay, to really involve the player in a storyline of sorts.

Lore in something like WoW works because you're able to be a part of the quest, reading or seeing the events fold out before you, and actually having a hand in said events. Something like that is a lot harder for something like Lol, where we're actually taking control of the champions in question, so we may act in difference with their own thoughts and desires, which can only really be reflected outside of the game.

The best way, currently, I could see making the lore more involving to the player would either to make up a single player mode of sorts (think something like out of Warcraft 3, where you've got character acting and what not) or to just straight out write long standing stories (or novels even) involving the characters, the League itself, and other such things.

Both of these have issues, though, the former being hard to make a reality (seeing the multiplayer style of League) and the other doesn't involve people who simply enjoy to read. This really just comes to the problem of that as enjoyable as League of Legends is, it's kinda lacking in the department of being able to tell a good story.
Well, one other way I could see involving more storyline (or at least character development) for the game would be to do something like what we've got with Graves and Nocturne or Zillian and Volibear, where the two characters have a special saying when they're interacting.

I'm not sure how far riot would go in on this, but how fun would it be to have Renekton to have special sayings when fighting against his brother? Or Morganna her Sister? We could have entire bouts of dialog created and played with Rumble and Dinger are going head to head. Really, this alone would really go a long way in getting people involved with the characters.

A single player experience is also a rather good idea. It doesn't have to be anything big or realm shattering (and i'm kinda uncertain how they'd work it into the game as far as earning experience and such) but it would be really good at seeing how these character interact, how a Lol match would get set up storyline wise, and would even be a good place to put the long awaited (And abandoned) achievements.

Cryypter

01-06-2012

While I will miss the JoJ and Judgements, I'm excited about finding out what this new Lore direction will entail.

Darkzeroneo

01-06-2012

i will miss the journal of justice and the league judgements they had shown us some of the hardships that our favorite champions have gone through and shows us a little bit of their personality. ;.;

Leaf

01-06-2012

I feel like I was lied to by every Red that posted "Soon™"

Lovrell

01-06-2012

So yeah, basically you spent a long time telling us "oh yeah any day now!!" and now you're going "oh yeah we lied to your face but SOMEDAY, FOR REAL THIS TIME!!!"

I liked "soon™" more than "eventually™" even if it was a lie, haha.

Fulgr1m

01-06-2012

While it pains me that we must wait longer (again) for some lore, I know that it will be worth it in the end! thanks for letting us know!

IS11c3a87c58a36a

01-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovrell View Post
So yeah, basically you spent a long time telling us "oh yeah any day now!!" and now you're going "oh yeah we lied to your face but SOMEDAY, FOR REAL THIS TIME!!!"

I liked "soon™" more than "eventually™" even if it was a lie, haha.
^This
Also double the pay of skribbles and riotrunaan. They deserve more appreciation for their awesome work.

Anyone else thinks this will end up like stealth rework?