Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

I think the points system needs readjusting again

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

broot

Recruiter

01-05-2012

I love Dominion. It has reignited (pun intended) my love for league of legends. This is something I thought worth bringing up/starting a discussion for since I mostly play Dominion now and would love to see this game mode improved upon consistently.

We all know (hopefully) your score in dominion isn't always a good indicator of how you've contributed to the team, or even your overall performance. For the sake of making the scoring system a little more accurate I propose that the points awarded for captures and neutralizes are decreased. I have a few reasons for this:

1. Lately I've been seeing a quite a few bottom players ending up in 1st-2nd place even if they were struggling the entire match and frequently losing their point. This is simply because throughout the duration of the match they are constantly re-capping their point after losing it.
In my experience (200+ dominion games, ~75% win/loss ratio) the best bottom players end up in 4th-5th, as they are able to hold their point consistently (even if ganked), and as a result the good bottom players are not getting constant points from re-capping. Thus in the current system some players are being rewarded points for bad play (or being outplayed).

2. Picture a situation, or similar situation, in which a player is holding off an enemy champ so that his/her teammate can capture a point. The real 'hero' here is the player making it possible for his/her teammate to cap the point, yet the capping champion gets most of the points in this system. Perhaps increasing the radius of capture assists, and increasing their point value would somewhat fix this.

3. Capture/Neutralize points do not promote team play. In fact they can promote the opposite of team play. We've all been in situations where 2-3 teammates are capping the same point, when (in a particular situation) only 1 is needed, and the others should be headed somewhere else. I'm sure we're all guilty of this too, but this is something I'm sure everyone sees almost every game, and it's evidence that the current point system is not promoting team play.

I really think your K/D/A (especially assists) is a more reliable indicator of a player's value to their team and a better measure of performance in Dominion. Anyways I'm sure I could think of more reasons for these changes if I really wanted to make a wall of text, but what does everyone else think?

What changes would you make the current point system if any? Do you agree with my suggestion?

Snuffrix

01-05-2012

I tend to find people on bot get less points.

broot

Recruiter

01-05-2012

My post isn't just about bot though, in general, it seems the points from caps/neutralizes is too high

restion

01-06-2012

About the multiple players on a capture point: Many games are lost based on it. I think it should be changed so only one player can cap at once, but many can neutralize.
Dominion breaks down into a numbers game at the end, where you lurk jungle and create situations where you outnumber the opponent. This gives rise to many players capping the same point after a battle won, maybe as a reward reflex, not knowing gold is split. Unproductive time better spent elsewhere.

VhakulaKhaulepi

01-06-2012

Yes, many games are lost in which three players cap a point together while another point is slowly taken behind them by one enemy.

Bonabon

01-06-2012

If I get a high score as bot lane it's usually because I consistently take and re-take their bot. :P

Narog

01-06-2012

readjusting ? i think is completely mess up it need a new concept all together

Narog

01-06-2012

Quote:
Snuffrix:
I tend to find people on bot get less points.

yes cos they actually DEFEND bot , whats hes saying is right,system rewards for losing and recapping a point

Scuzzer

01-06-2012

I have no idea why they think this game mode needs a scoring system. It always makes the bottom player look like **** when they have to put pressure on bot and even draw away 1 or 2 players from top most of the game.

Your playing bot and your winning your "lane". The enemy is forced to bring a 2nd person to bot to hold and your top have a 4v3 and still fails to cap or loses fights. End result is bot has a low score because they had far fewer kills and fewer caps and if your not hugging your point then your not getting point defense bonus.

FDru

01-06-2012

Thank you for recognizing some of the glaringly obvious flaws in the point system. Not only is capping and neutralizing overvalued, but kills as well. They might as well call it KS score because the 1st place badge almost always goes to the player with the most killing blows (or longest kill streaks).

Quote:
broot:
3. Capture/Neutralize points do not promote team play. In fact they can promote the opposite of team play. We've all been in situations where 2-3 teammates are capping the same point, when (in a particular situation) only 1 is needed, and the others should be headed somewhere else. I'm sure we're all guilty of this too, but this is something I'm sure everyone sees almost every game, and it's evidence that the current point system is not promoting team play.

I just want to point out that capping and nuetralizing give gold, and you need to be in capture assist range to get it. Although gold is split, it's not split evenly and your team will get overall more gold if more players cap the node (100 for 1, 75 each for 2, 63 each for 3, etc).

This is another problem which could probably be fixed but I'm not sure how. I just know that something potentially detrimental shouldn't be such a large source of gold income.