Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Dominion item opinions and suggestions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

lbgsloan

01-05-2012

So, it's been long enough now that people have extensively tried out and formed opinions on the Dominion specific items. I think it would be a good idea to gather these opinions in one thread so the devs can, one day, see what could use adjustments and what is fine. Please no flaming gentleman, these are OPINIONS. On a side note to Riot, PLEASE UPDATE YOUR DOMINION SITE. I know you don't care about the mode much, but it still has Priscilla's Blessing and old Ionic Spark stats on it. There's also a curious lack of a link to it from the main site...

Prospector’s Blade - This is a fine starting item on any AD champion, and games rarely last long enough that I find myself needing to consider selling it for something else.

Prospector's Ring - This isn't as good as the blade, losing 3 MP/5 over double Doran's compared to only 1% lifesteal. It could use tiny improvement, as mages going top generally need the ring/boots start to survive early fights.

Ionic Spark - I still think the effect is still weak compared to other on-hit weapons. It's better than SotD, but SotD is a terrible item too. Compare it to the much cheaper Lightbringer, which isn't used much either, and it looks really bad. Dominion minion waves are too small and too tough for the chainlighting effect to be good, you'd be better off with a Tiamat in most cases. Against champions you are always better off with one of the other on-hit weapons. I'm not sure what can be done with it, maybe reduce it to 3 hits to proc the effect?

Odyn's Veil - It's a decent item, it's just too expensive to work into most champion's builds on Dominion. I think it would be more useful if the active had more impact. Up to 400 magic (this is important, as AD champions get poor value because of this) damage every 90 seconds simply isn't anywhere close to the BV bubble. Possibly turning it into true damage would keep the Dominion flavour, but provide more incentive to work it into builds earlier instead of a final item (Ryze excluded of course). Alternatively, I think it could use a slight cost decrease.

Sanguine Blade - The main complaint with this one is that the stacks are too hard to maintain, and it's a subpar item if you can't maintain the stacks. Fixes that have been suggested are to increase the time before stacks disappear or allow abilities to trigger stacks.

Priscilla's Blessing - I think this item could be added back in with an altered build and role. Shurelya's Reverie is bad on Dominion because it provides lots of regen that you really don't need on Dominion. The active is still nice though. This active put onto an item with more useful stats would fit into Dominion better. Forget about the capture thing, keep the old active, and make the stats on it valuable. This could easily be the new 'Dominion mass health item'.

Entropy - It's better on AD casters than Sanguine Blade, but that's solely because SB sucks on them. You're paying almost as much as an IE for worse damage output and the active. The active is the problem; it is pretty weak. A bit of extra true damage and slow once every minute isn't very good for a 3565 gold item. Extending the time the active remains on would make me want to use it more.

The Lightbringer - People hate building this because it's all attack speed and little damage. If the AS were reduced (have it build from something other than recurved bow), and the damage stats upped, it would feel less like people are severely hurting their build to counter stealth.

Kitae's Bloodrazor - Change the AD to something else. This item is only good in dedicated on-hit builds, running magic pen. The AD does little for these builds.

Hextech Sweeper - This is a great item, no changes needed.

Oracle's Extract - The biggest WTF in Dominion. A consumable that disappears on death OR time in a gamemode where death is common? It needs to persist on death and be time-based only.

FDru

01-05-2012

Sanguine Blade is really good (lifesteal/spell vamp are really OP in Dominion that's all there is to it), Odyn's is really good (though I agree it's kind of expensive), and Lightbringer is really good (not just against stealth, it's good all the time because it prevents juking), other than that I generally agree with your assessments.

AileTheAlien

01-05-2012

If you're an AD champ and you want to build stacks on Sanguine Blade faster, or are having trouble with losing them:
Build a second or third Sanguine Blade.
Seriously; You don't lose a huge amount of max life steal, and it's made up for by the increased speed of stacking.
Otherwise build a Frozen Mallet and some defense so that you can hold onto your target longer, for a sustained fight.

I agree with the usefulness of Hextech Sweeper. If the enemy has two or more stealth/invis champs, or one really annoying one (Eve, Rat, or Akali) then I get it as my second item. I'll even get it on non-mage champs if nobody else is buying it, or if they have at least one AP ratio. Yes, this means I buy it on Mundo. Personally I find it more effective than the Lightbringer, because it gives CDR and a very useful active, and can be used with AoE spells. Lightbringer limits you to things that you could already see when you started your attack.

Taenaryn

01-05-2012

Quote:
lbgsloan:
So, it's been long enough now that people have extensively tried out and formed opinions on the Dominion specific items. I think it would be a good idea to gather these opinions in one thread so the devs can, one day, see what could use adjustments and what is fine. Please no flaming gentleman, these are OPINIONS. On a side note to Riot, PLEASE UPDATE YOUR DOMINION SITE. I know you don't care about the mode much, but it still has Priscilla's Blessing and old Ionic Spark stats on it. There's also a curious lack of a link to it from the main site...

Prospector’s Blade - This is a fine starting item on any AD champion, and games rarely last long enough that I find myself needing to consider selling it for something else.

Prospector's Ring - This isn't as good as the blade, losing 3 MP/5 over double Doran's compared to only 1% lifesteal. It could use tiny improvement, as mages going top generally need the ring/boots start to survive early fights.

Ionic Spark - I still think the effect is still weak compared to other on-hit weapons. It's better than SotD, but SotD is a terrible item too. Compare it to the much cheaper Lightbringer, which isn't used much either, and it looks really bad. Dominion minion waves are too small and too tough for the chainlighting effect to be good, you'd be better off with a Tiamat in most cases. Against champions you are always better off with one of the other on-hit weapons. I'm not sure what can be done with it, maybe reduce it to 3 hits to proc the effect?

Odyn's Veil - It's a decent item, it's just too expensive to work into most champion's builds on Dominion. I think it would be more useful if the active had more impact. Up to 400 magic (this is important, as AD champions get poor value because of this) damage every 90 seconds simply isn't anywhere close to the BV bubble. Possibly turning it into true damage would keep the Dominion flavour, but provide more incentive to work it into builds earlier instead of a final item (Ryze excluded of course). Alternatively, I think it could use a slight cost decrease.

Sanguine Blade - The main complaint with this one is that the stacks are too hard to maintain, and it's a subpar item if you can't maintain the stacks. Fixes that have been suggested are to increase the time before stacks disappear or allow abilities to trigger stacks.

Priscilla's Blessing - I think this item could be added back in with an altered build and role. Shurelya's Reverie is bad on Dominion because it provides lots of regen that you really don't need on Dominion. The active is still nice though. This active put onto an item with more useful stats would fit into Dominion better. Forget about the capture thing, keep the old active, and make the stats on it valuable. This could easily be the new 'Dominion mass health item'.

Entropy - It's better on AD casters than Sanguine Blade, but that's solely because SB sucks on them. You're paying almost as much as an IE for worse damage output and the active. The active is the problem; it is pretty weak. A bit of extra true damage and slow once every minute isn't very good for a 3565 gold item. Extending the time the active remains on would make me want to use it more.

The Lightbringer - People hate building this because it's all attack speed and little damage. If the AS were reduced (have it build from something other than recurved bow), and the damage stats upped, it would feel less like people are severely hurting their build to counter stealth.

Kitae's Bloodrazor - Change the AD to something else. This item is only good in dedicated on-hit builds, running magic pen. The AD does little for these builds.

Hextech Sweeper - This is a great item, no changes needed.

Oracle's Extract - The biggest WTF in Dominion. A consumable that disappears on death OR time in a gamemode where death is common? It needs to persist on death and be time-based only.

For the Blade... it's probably just me, but I have never been able to build lifesteal in Dominion (or spell vamp either) and have it actually be worth it. I'd rather build two Longswords and get a Brut later.

For the Ring... I die too often, I admit. That means that I've only actually run out of mana a handful of times... and only because going back to base would have meant leaving something unguarded or a teammate there to die. Maybe MP5 is good for someone else... but not me, I'd never buy the ring. That said, I agree that MP5 is hardly comparable to 5% lifesteal.

Spark... never built it. If I'm not in a teamfight it feels like a wasted slot.

Odyn's... I don't buy anymore. I can get MR elsewhere, and Actives on items stay unused because again, I suck, and I always forget to activate it. I never need the Mana (but then, haven't played Ryze) and if I'm building a Catalyst I'll probably go RoA instead. Its passive of 10% reduced magic is pretty danged great though, and probably worth the price... I just can't make myself buy something that has an active I won't use, even if the rest is worth it.

Sanguine... never built it, because on Dom I'm much better with Talon who is a burst caster than I am with Nocturne who might actually build up stacks with it. I might consider it for Sivir, though.

Entropy... not worth it. At all. If I'm buying something like that, it's either for the health, or the slow. The damage is better than Frozen Mallet, but I'd rather lose Entropy's Active to get FM's permanent slow. And if I'm building health, I have many other options including many defensive options for both armor and MR.

Lightbringer... never built it. The champs that give me sight troubles are the ones that kill me before I realize they're there. Shaco and Talon, if they are a problem, aren't so because I need to see them after they stealth. I admit it's probably great for bush juking... but I generally don't follow any champ into the bushes anyways, as I'm often bot and/or need to defend a tower.

Kitae's. No comment. I think I built it, but don't remember being super excited over it.

Hextech: Agreed. It's awesome. If I have an AP champ and there's any kind of stealth, I'll probably build it; the stats alone are useful enough not to feel like a complete waste of gold and even though I do forget the active the passive procs enough to make me feel like it's worth it.

Oracle's. I hate it. It sucks that I lose it on death. I admit I suck that I die too often, but even so, I only buy this in moments of desperation and even then, it's probably too late and Twitch has gained Urban Legend Sewer Rat fed.

Señor Pancho

01-05-2012

having more consumables would be pretty neat too, mainly modified elixirs made for dominion, because it would add diversity to the common starting builds and to the game in general.

as for the current dominion only items, HTS is by far the best, entropy could use either a buff in its effect or stats or a slight price reduction, SB is fine, kitae's blows, lightbringer is fine, ionic spark is getting a little buff next patch, and thats about it.