What is a carry? dominion style

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yaladilae

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-03-2012

Help me out here

Some people seem to think because they have 300 wins (lets ignore they have more loss) they are carrying the game, because most of their team have like 20 or 50 wins...
When I see their points, so low
When I see their K/D/A, so low
When I see their capped count, so low

To me a carry is when you either have an extremely high point (like 200+ above 2nd place) because you achieved alot of map objectives (defense, capping) or simply a really high K/D/A ratio because you simply beat everyone up allowing your team to achieve map objectives with ease, albeit you playing a carry champ or not (because gold is not a big issue in Dom)

But I must be missing something

gnmish

01-03-2012

If someone is using the term "carry" in Dominion, they already fail, its simply not possible considering its almost impossible to win a 4v5, every player is important and plays a critical role.

AAARRRRGGGGGHHHH

01-03-2012

When Pantheon walks by with 2 levels and a 1k gold advantage it's hard to not say he's carrying a little.

It's certainly possible to gain that much of an advantage, but you basically have to be mopping up and winning 1v2s left and right.

edit: play a smurf account and tell me you don't carry half of your games

larkhill

01-03-2012

while its true that you cant win a 4v5 and everyone is important, some are more important than others. if u take the carry out and replace him with an averagely skilled player of the same champion, then the outcome of the game changes completely. we've all seen it. one player completely takes over a game.

for the older folks in the audience, i always use pre-nerf, pre-rework morde as the prototypical example of a carry. we all remember mordecarry. a good morde player would buy defensive items, go 1v5 and still win with half hp remaining. it was silly. if u replaced that morde with someone else, u'd have a very different game

for the newer folks, i like to use lee sin. we've all seen a jungle lee sin completely dominate a game. landing all those abilities isnt easy and if u can pull it off, u will almost always win the game.

with dominion, the term "carry" is a bit different that SR. theres plenty of different ways to carry a game.

we've all seen that 1 eve player who builds boots of mobility and backdoors all game. if that eve knows what she's doing and has good timing/map awareness, u could win the game doing that.

we've also all seen that 1 promote heimerdinger player who pushes bot and caps the point on the first wave. unless properly defended, a promote heimer will win bot every time. u simply cant stop him from pushing unless u pick a good enough champ.

dominion carry's are different from SR carry's because they dont rely on the champion as much. cases like heimer and eve are special. for the most part, any champ that does dmg will carry a game if played properly. theres much more pure strategy in dominion than SR. i've carried games in dominion by playing the bait. i'd tell my tea mto wait in the bushes near the health relic between top and mid and i'd simply backdoor mid, waiting for someone foolish enough to come and stop me. when they do, my team would come in, kill him, and cap the point easily. i could have done this with any champ at all. i could have been a soraka and still played bait.

IS1eae7cbb510cc9b1e2028

01-03-2012

I can carry a game and have the lowest score, i just kept the enemy team occupied, and away from any control point.

So scorewise, i sucked, both in score, and k/d/a. However, teamwise, i kept 3 people occupied 40% of the time. Which gave my team 40% of the time a numerical advantage on the rest of the map. That is a way of carrying

If you kill an enemy he is down 20 seconds... so you'd have to have kill an enemy every 11 seconds if you REALLY want to prove you can keep the enemy surpressed, and keep them down. Not gonna happen.

So real carrying is by make sure there is effecient communication, deciding where to go, anticipating the enemy's next move, and rallying your teammates to back you up, or coordinating they should go somewhere else. Be the best PvP fighter you can be, so you can fight at any moment.

This is not SR where you can become good by just following the technicalities(is that even a word?) of the map. This is map where teamwork, and individual skill in fighting matter the most.

Carrying is done by being the best teammate ever, don't flame, be constructive, and help your teammates wherever possible. It doesn't matter if you lose that way, because everybody loves the positive, well mannered kind of player. THAT is carrying 110%, and not hardstyle soloing

just my 2 ct

M0J0E

01-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eface View Post
So real carrying is by make sure there is effecient communication, deciding where to go, anticipating the enemy's next move, and rallying your teammates to back you up, or coordinating they should go somewhere else. Be the best PvP fighter you can be, so you can fight at any moment.

This is not SR where you can become good by just following the technicalities(is that even a word?) of the map. This is map where teamwork, and individual skill in fighting matter the most.
I agree with this. So much of Dominion is just being in the right place at the right time. The player on your team who has the best grasp of this is going to be carrying the team regardless of what champion s/he is playing. It certainly helps if you happen to be playing a carry champion who can 1v1 anyone, but that alone won't win you Dominion games.

Kuznets

01-03-2012

A carry should win games.
So there is a simple measurement of being a carry - it's your win%. Playing premades boosts your actual win% but in general it's a good measurement of your contribution to victory.
It's working badly at low number of games due to random leavers, unskilled players etc. but more games you play more reliable win% becomes.

The Wrongsword

01-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnmish View Post
If someone is using the term "carry" in Dominion, they already fail, its simply not possible considering its almost impossible to win a 4v5, every player is important and plays a critical role.
this is just dumb, its not like team members are somehow irrelevant in SR- just because each player is playing a different role doesnt mean there is no such thing as a carry role.

Carries are usually high dmg, often AD champs and their role is to scale extreme well into late game and have a ridiculous K/D ratio. They should be putting enemies on cooldown a lot by mid/late game so that your team has breathing room to keep 3 points capped.

The one I play is Vayne, I can end a lot of games with 20+ kills and under 10 deaths if the game goes long, so that the longer the game goes the more difficult it is for the other team to win cause they are dying so much. This doesnt mean other roles arent important, cause they are, and carries especially like having tanky initiators on their team like blitz or singed to soak skills and dmg which allows the carry to put out crazy dmg late game.

Ascleph

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaladilae View Post
When I see their points, so low
When I see their K/D/A, so low
When I see their capped count, so low

To me a carry is when you either have an extremely high point (like 200+ above 2nd place) because you achieved alot of map objectives (defense, capping) or simply a really high K/D/A ratio because you simply beat everyone up allowing your team to achieve map objectives with ease, albeit you playing a carry champ or not (because gold is not a big issue in Dom)
I thought we were already over this score bs

Yaladilae

01-03-2012

More discussion

Would you guys call this a carry?
I know score don't matter too much, but our Alistair never defended once the whole game, he just went and thinks he can 1v3 all day long... the other 3 was pretty decent never the less

The other team did play better as a whole
Attachment 355840