Unlocking champions?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TandooriChicken

07-15-2010

hey guys,

This is tandooriChicken!
I'm new to this game but not the genre (ex-Dota player). I really like the game so far and I'm sure I'll stick around.
What I found rather surprising is the whole champion unlocking thing. I've always been used to having everyone available by default.

And I think it kind of sucks to not be able to try someone that looks cool immediately. I'd have to either play enough and unlock them, wait for them to go free, or buy them with actually money.

Speaking of buying them though, I don't really mind spending a couple of dollars considering this game is cool and free. However, I wanted to know from you guys if it's actually worth buying champions with real money?
Just shed some light on this issue based on what you guys think from your personal experience.
If it is worth it, how would you'll recommend I go about it, since there seem to be a number of options out there (packs,etc).

Thanks in advance.

DogOfThunder

07-15-2010

First off, you can always wait to try someone out when they rotate the Free Champions each week. 10 Champs will always be available for free.

Personally, I bought the Collector's Edition which comes with 20 heroes and $10 of Riot Points. I used the $10 to buy Nidalee, as she was the first post-launch hero to be introduced. The Collector's Edition gave me more then enough heroes to try and learn as I slowly bought the remaining heroes with IP, learning a new hero every two or three weeks in the process. It's a very gratifying way to slowly build your collection in my opinion.

If you want to use real money, you can also wait until a champion is on sale. That way you can get them for 33%-50% off the normal price and conserve your points.

SomniumProxy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-15-2010

hey ! welcome aboard :P

I'm an ex-Dota player too, but I've been with LoL since beta and have over 1500 games by now :P So hopefully this will give you some perspective.

The game is very much playable even without owning all the champions, because when you learn someone you stick with him for a couple of games, then try the weekly champs, then an other guy, week has passed, you get new champs, etc.

I have most of the champions, but still I'm missing around 15. This will give you pesrspective - even with my amount of games played I still don't have all the champs. I haven't used any real money yet because I'm a student and don't really have a credit card, etc.

That's why I think it's really worth it to invest in the champions bundle if you're planning to stick to the game. This will give you 20 champions extremely cost efficiently. Even then, it will take you quite a while to unlock all, so don't worry about wasting your money. Runes are very important too, and you can never have too many of them, so IP runs scarce.

This was on the part that buying the bundle is really worth it.

On the other hand, if you don't want to spend any money - that's fine too! Even though people complain how much time it takes to unlock everything, i feel that's very exaggerated. Simply because you don't need to have everything to enjoy the game. My goal is to learn to play every champion and I've found that by the time I can say I've really mastered someone, I have gained enough IP to buy the next champ + some runes.

I hope this gives you a larger view on both sides and helps you decide. Either way the game is great and I hope you'll enjoy it is much as i do.

TandooriChicken

07-15-2010

Thanks a lot guys!
Looks like the champion's bundle is a good way to go if i really want to buy champs.
I'm not too sure if I want to go ahead and do that just yet though. Maybe I'll just try the different champions available for now and find my roles/champions of interest.
The only concern though is that if I end up liking a champion that costs 6300 points to unlock, it's going to take forever for me to farm that up! :P

Also I read someplace that runes are not worth investing into until my summoner level is greater than 20. Is that true? Because buying runes and champs from IP seems like too much when you are just starting off!

SethCypher

07-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandooriChicken View Post
Thanks a lot guys!
Looks like the champion's bundle is a good way to go if i really want to buy champs.
I'm not too sure if I want to go ahead and do that just yet though. Maybe I'll just try the different champions available for now and find my roles/champions of interest.
The only concern though is that if I end up liking a champion that costs 6300 points to unlock, it's going to take forever for me to farm that up! :P

Also I read someplace that runes are not worth investing into until my summoner level is greater than 20. Is that true? Because buying runes and champs from IP seems like too much when you are just starting off!
You should think about investing into champs before runes. When you're starting off, think about which champions you want to main while you're playing games. This will give you a template for setting up runes so that you don't go randomly wasting IP on runes you might potentially never use.

And yes, it is advisable, though not a must to buy runes after level 20. Reason? Tier 3, the best level of runes, become available to you at level 20.

SomniumProxy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-15-2010

Quote:
Thanks a lot guys!

It's true that runes have little to no impact before level 20. However, don't ignore them completely, and here's why:

after you hit levels 20-21, you'd want to start buying runes to keep up with other summoners. However, tier 3 runes are quite expensive, and it's frusterating to get something only to realise later that it's not quite what you want. That's why I'd recommend to make up your mind around level 16-17 and buy a set of tier 1 runes. They are very cheap and will cost you very few IP for a full page. Then, with these runes, even with a relatively small bonus (they still give 56% of the tier 3 bonus tho ) you'll have time to test and experiment untill level 20 to make sure that this is the rune set you want. If you change your mind, you'll lose only the cost of 1 or 2 tier 3 runes, no more. And if it the right choice, you'll be able to start adding T3 runes to the page, while keeping the bonus of the T1 in the meantime.

TandooriChicken

07-15-2010

Thanks again!

Really nice to see people responding so quickly! Helps new players a lot!
Will heed your advice and hold back on the runes for a bit.

Was wondering if any of you guys mind playing with me since I have no friends in game yet (or in real life that play this game). My Id is TandooriChicken.

SomniumProxy

07-15-2010

Quote:
Thanks again!

Really nice to see people responding so quickly! Helps new players a lot!
Will heed your advice and hold back on the runes for a bit.

Was wondering if any of you guys mind playing with me since I have no friends in game yet (or in real life that play this game). My Id is TandooriChicken.
You're welcome :P

However, your best chance for ingame buddies are the people you've met in a game. Not because I, for example, am not willing to help you learn, but most of the people who are on this forum are level 30. (to help people, you must understand the game yourself). I've been in a game with low-level players occasionally, just ot show them why it's a bad idea The game uses a rating system (Elo) which will still place you against players with the average of your premade's Elo, but 90% of the time this jsut means that the opponents will just slaughter the new player be slaughtered by the level 30. And that's not fun for anyone :/

So, in order to keep the game fun and balanced, your best friends will be people who you've actually played, since you'll know that they have about the same rating as you :P And you'll be able to learn together, which is a great experience.

outfoxxed

07-15-2010

dont buy the champs with real money since it's much better to farm for IP. though you could get one of those bundles where they give you like 20 champs. Use Riot Points to get skins b/c you can't get those with IP.