Introducing the Champion Evaluation

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Balderdash1000

07-15-2010

Honestly, I didn't really feel it. *shrug* I know it was a short piece, but I'm a strong believer that a characters flaws make the character work. All I got from this piece is how much of a bad ass the new guy is.

If you want to make a bunch of pieces about how bad ass everyone is, that's cool, but that's not really a story. If you really want to intertwine story with the game, I suggest you might want to look at the game, "Legend of the Five Rings" for ideas.

I don't know if this feedback helps any, but in case it does, let me give you a quick link to one of the more popular stories that helped bring the world of the legend of the five rings to life.

http://kazenoshiro.com/kazenoshiro/4/wife.php

hyliandanny

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotBabagahnoosh View Post
I really do understand where you're coming from, and I'm just speaking here as myself and not the company, but I honestly don't believe it's in Riot's best interests to eschew story and intellectual property development on LoL.
To add on to this for Vercrius, and I'm just speaking here as a gamer and not the entire player base, I honestly don't believe it's in any game company's best interests to eschew story and intellectual property development on their titles.

I'm going to play through StarCraft II's campaign and then probably going to return to playing League of Legends. In terms of fiscal interest, I've spent just as much on League of Legends as the SCII Collector's Edition cost me.

I'd love to take this discussion to the General Discussion forum, Vercrius, so you can post the detriment of lore development in light of my -- and by the looks of this thread, many players' -- interest's effects on Riot's success.

To loop this back to the matter at hand: thanks for your efforts and this communication with us, Shawn. These replies, consideration of feedback, and the very work itself tells dorks like me that we're supporting a good bunch of guys.

Zanaxal

07-15-2010

I see as it like trying to add lore to counter-strike. "Ya like there's these terrorists, they just like to shoot and take hostages and bomb stuff. Then the cops come and want to shoot them" They dont go into detail like "Randy the cop came to the town wanting to find a stripper, blablabla ended up going terrorist hunting."

Same is with the game Tekken, they have backgrounds stories and lots of stuff about each character. They never cared to really balance the chars instead they have lots of words and videos about every char which just brings nothing to the gameplay. Big mistake imo. Whatever happened to mortal combats, look cool / kick ass, no background needed.
(maybe thats why theres almost no tekken tourneys?)

I'm not gonna look at LoL as a game world anyways, even WoW's mega messed up gameworld i could care less about lore. I play warcraft 1-3 for all my wacraft lore the rest im blissfully ignorant to.

It's nice to have champion lore/jokes to read about them but trying to take it serious is just sad. They should save the real "lore" for the League of legends rpg or league of legends mmo or league of legends point and click adventure.

I would much rather have a page on each champ saying what item combos and skill combos are good on a certain champ, theres usually several viable, and testing them all is chore. This would hopefully help the new players more to then cramming them with lore.

Kades

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Associate QA Analyst - Gameplay

07-15-2010

While we're talking about constructive feedback, then... as a storyteller myself, I've always found 'relationships' to be the driving force in any strong narrative. Whether it's talking toys or space aliens or some ordinary guy who gets super powers or whatever- whatever the story- it's the relationships in that story that keep people invested.

As far as the imagery and construction, it was top notch. You have brought on some really spectacular writers and it shows. Work everyone there should be proud of. But the 'hook' for each of these will really be in the relationships. We have nothing invested in this hero coming in (most of us can't even pronounce his name), to have some other guy's shield (who we also haven't heard from) scar his face... that doesn't really cause a lot of drama for me. Not the best way to keep (or manufacture) interest.

For instance, hearing the backstory of Kayle and Morgana- since we already know both of them- is far more interesting. So I guess, if you really are looking for constructive feedback, keep these coming- but focus on the inner relationships of these heroes- and how they keep evolving... there are over 50 of them so you should have a large pallet to draw from.

Tsquall

07-15-2010

Wonderful job, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. I was slightly disappointed with the JoJ (though it was not bad by any means), but this was very well done. The name confused me too like others in this thread, I expected it to be some sort of rating system for the champions in order to get balancing feedback. I can't wait for more.

Bravo Riot, and as somebody who enjoys a good story and background information on the virtual world I'm spending my time in, I'm very happy to see you guys taking the lore seriously and fleshing it out more over time.

Oniii

Recruiter

07-15-2010

Great job Babagahnaghoosh (i dont know ur name cut me some slack). i found it really interesting, i play Xin Zhao very often and love the champion, i would like to see way more evaluations, but on top of that, i would LOVE to see how champions would interact with each other...like...what would happen if they crossed path sorta thing. at any rate, keep up the wonderful work RIOT people

Koregen

07-15-2010

CONCLUSION:

Xin is OP.

Pathen

07-15-2010

Definitely awesome! LoL has an interesting backstory. More Lore is always welcome.

Rėgnum Dei

07-15-2010

he needs a Uber nerf....

Lieutenant Murp

07-15-2010

Mundo's evaluation:

Observation

"MUNDO GOES WHERE HE PLEASES" Narrator dies because of clever sickness

Reflection

"MUNDO GOES WHERE HE PLEASES" ...