THE DEEP BECKONS! 251 46.92%
Water support? My body is ready. 138 25.79%
Meh. : / 43 8.04%
Fizz is cuter. :V 62 11.59%
The mighty shark stalks his prey. >:3 41 7.66%
Voters: 535. You may not vote on this poll

Goshg, The Deep Dweller

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

evawin

02-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulu Almighty View Post
It's not the problem of permission unless you want Riot complaining about appearance similarites I suggest using a different picture to show what Goshg looks like.
I'm not exactly sure what it is you're trying to get across. My feeling is that you're mistaking attribution for copyright infringement. The artist nor I are nowhere making the claim that this character or his art is 100% ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL. In the creative process, it is important to observe predecessors, know what makes them good and bad, build upon it in a meaningful manner, and, during it all, acknowledge that the previous sources served as inspirational tools.

This is true for Goshg on both a design and art level. He incorporates the Karma system and Lee Sin system. However, I added my own flair to the mix, distinguishing it greatly from the two. Now, I didn't just go "Guys check out my own unique system that I totally made by myself"; no, I said that I took heavy inspiration from Karma and Lee Sin, addressing their strengths/weaknesses and what I wanted to do with their moves. Hell, I even took inspiration from Admiral's water spout move in DotA. The important thing is that I didn't just stop after shuffling around preexisting ideas; I added something that hasn't been done before in LoL, HoN, nor DotA.

The same especially applies for Goshg's appearance. To say that Riot has the final say about what constitutes an aquatic creature is a little facetious. The only thing I could see Riot getting on about Goshg is how he is, in his lore, a descendant of Fizz's race. Past that, compare Goshg and Fizz; the similarities are a little harder to find. Fizz doesn't have a large tail, he's far from muscular, and has a neck the size of a small pipe. Goshg also has clothing, waaaay different eyes, a jaw that's larger than life, and stranger hair-appendage-things. Similar? Yes. Complain-able? No way.

For example, if you look at something like music, you'll see a plethora of musicians, all within genres, niches, and divisions, but somehow still giving a similar vibe. Take anything by the Beatles (early works, for this example). Now, any person would tell you that the Beatles were a truly innovate group that managed to achieve one of the greatest music success stories of all time. However, their material was sometimes not their own. Their entire image of the neat, properly dressed boys from Liverpool heralded back to the do-wop groups of the 40s and 50s. Compare this with Elvis who served as an early pioneer of Rock and Roll; both played the same music, but both of them had vastly different stage presences and personas. Elvis served as the token bad-ass, gyrating his hips every two seconds, much to the dismay of parents. The Beatles, on the other hand, had a boyish charm and clean and proper that made them far more palatable for parents who were used to that image from their youth; this was one of the reasons for their success. Does that mean that the Beatles just took Elvis' style with the do-wop group's attire and claimed it as their own completely? No; they acknowledged their predecessors all the while adding their personal flair to their music.

The opposite is also present within music. Ever hear Vanilla Ice's "Ice Ice Baby"? Ever hear Queen's "Under Pressure"? Take the first 10 seconds of the songs and compare them. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that the base lines for these hit songs are very, very similar. In fact, a Supreme Court decision said just that. Vanilla Ice apologized for it after the fact, but his original case involved a defense of "it has an extra beat note, so it's not the same and I totally didn't copy it from you". This is what I think of when you complain about the similarities.

Basically, Riot would have to have no creative soul to complain about the art, of all things. As a result, I don't really have any reservations about things like stepping on toes for the sake of imagined copyright issues. It's a creative process; the point is being creative, not worrying that someone might think that you're in danger. Plus, this is the champion forums; Riot has full control of anything posted here. :P

Sorry for the long rant: I'm a Communications major; might as well use what I learn. :X

DtRipper

02-03-2012

I would love to see one of his jokes be "How long can you tread water". Its a line from a old bill cosby sketch where he talks about noah and the ark. Check it out on youtube coz its pretty classic old comedy

OshGoshBoGosh

02-03-2012

def more support needed in this game. i APPROVE!

evawin

02-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtRipper View Post
I would love to see one of his jokes be "How long can you tread water". Its a line from a old bill cosby sketch where he talks about noah and the ark. Check it out on youtube coz its pretty classic old comedy
Sure; I'll do that. ;3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OshGoshBoGosh View Post
def more support needed in this game. i APPROVE!
Indeed; however, Morello says SOON (trademark), so who knows? >:3c

evawin

02-03-2012

Added a League Judgment that I wrote! Yeah!

Mr Mad Cow

02-04-2012

this needs to be in game. +1

Reverie Reality

02-05-2012

Really like this idea. Maybe he could be a relative of Fizz? Either way, I wouldn't be disappointed at all to see this champion come to life in game.

evawin

02-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mad Cow View Post
this needs to be in game. +1
<3

What do you think of his movest (or his League Judgment)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverie Reality View Post
Really like this idea. Maybe he could be a relative of Fizz? Either way, I wouldn't be disappointed at all to see this champion come to life in game.
That would be interesting. And thank you as well. What do you specifically think of his moveset (or his League Judgment for that matter)? :3c

evawin

02-08-2012

I've been talking with my friends about his kit and, even without an ult, he may have too much CC. As a result, I've decided to reduce Eel's Lightning to a silence instead of a stun. However, to compensate, I've increased the slow percentage on Jellyfish's Sting.

Also, I am always looking for tough reviews, so come on down.

Also (also), check out the Judgment! It's good! :<

202halffound

02-08-2012

Perhaps Nautilis will end up being similar to this concept. Anyway, I really like the idea. The only thing that I find a bit strange is his ultimate's passive. What exactly is it there for?