So why is the word "****" censored on these forums?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Flodoard

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDSandM View Post
It's a big deal because certain people like to give that specific word to females exclusively (and men who display feminine characteristics) and load it with a whole lot of hatred behind it.

As said in the other thread, it's not the word itself that's offensive, it's how it's used.
but don't we give it strength by making it a foul, forbidden word?
aren't we now enforcing that vile definition over the original by censoring it?
furthermore, censoring the word does not inhibit the sentiment. sexism will live on whether or not that word exists, this just allows them to express themselves in a way that they would even if that word didn't exist

don't get me wrong, I hate sexists. I believe in equal rights, and I hate the way many men treat women (and the way many women treat men for that matter), but this definition is merely a product of these beliefs, not a mechanism by which these beliefs are created.

Sailor Cosmos

01-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flodoard View Post
but don't we give it strength by making it a foul, forbidden word?
aren't we now enforcing that vile definition over the original by censoring it?
furthermore, censoring the word does not inhibit the sentiment. sexism will live on whether or not that word exists, this just allows them to express themselves in a way that they would even if that word didn't exist

don't get me wrong, I hate sexists. I believe in equal rights, and I hate the way many men treat women (and the way many women treat men for that matter), but this definition is merely a product of these beliefs, not a mechanism by which these beliefs are created.
I don't believe the words themselves should be censored. Personally, I love using cuss words as my describing words, I just think people should learn respect and restraint on how they use them.

This is a prime example of sexism:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobagoh View Post
"Everyone I'm talking to on gchat right now is an ex of mine, except for you"

Taking questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coedeed View Post
Why do you think we care about *****s?

I mean, I don't wanna talk to a ****.
In no way, shape, or form did the OP illustrate to us that she was sl*tty or any other offensive term. But the fact that Coedeed assumed she was (like many people do in the gaming community and in real life) this type of woman and used the word b*tch to describe her is unsettling to me. It is a reality that people are heavily mistreating and disrespecting women on LARGE scales and few people are stepping in and saying "that's wrong." The ones who do, like myself, are called every misogynistic insult and disregarded, and so it continues.

They're not just words. They're influence, influence to dehumanize a person and commit extreme acts that don't involve just talking anymore. Violence, rape, exclusion of activities. Homosexuals couldn't speak about their homosexuality in the military (thankfully now they can), people are afraid of black people because of the media's portrayal of them, women are pressured to take extra precautions when going to a bar, and if she is raped and/or murdered, she's blamed.

I can choose to ignore the words and not take offense to them all I want, but I can't stop the person who is influenced by them. The best thing we can teach each other is to learn when to refrain from inappropriate language, and hopefully it'll help extract and abolish the influenced action from words.

Coedeed

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-04-2012

Mr. Serious on the internet over here.

My troll too good for you.

Q Sensei

01-04-2012

I'm okay with them censoring words, but I just never thought of **** as a word that needed to be censored.

Now I feel like I need to work it out of my daily language.

Dobagoh

01-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDSandM View Post
In no way, shape, or form did the OP illustrate to us that she was sl*tty or any other offensive term. But the fact that Coedeed assumed she was (like many people do in the gaming community and in real life) this type of woman and used the word b*tch to describe her is unsettling to me.
I don't think he was using b*tch, but hore; unless of course, he doesn't actually know how to create the plural for b*tch.

Coedeed

01-04-2012

Quote:
I don't think he was using b*tch, but hore; unless of course, he doesn't actually know how to create the plural for b*tch.
I never read her post, but I read your quote and lol. Spreading false accusations. Them dogs are *****es not ****s.

Dobagoh

01-04-2012

Quote:
I never read her post, but I read your quote and lol. Spreading false accusations. Them dogs are *****es not ****s.
?

In your first post in my thread you wrote "Why do you think we care about *****s?"
what was that 5-letter word, b*tch or hore

Coedeed

01-04-2012

Quote:
?

In your first post in my thread you wrote "Why do you think we care about *****s?"
what was that 5-letter word, b*tch or hore
Correct, but if bad itch was the word, why is there an s at the end? I know how to spell *****es.

Dobagoh

01-04-2012

Quote:
Correct, but if bad itch was the word, why is there an s at the end? I know how to spell *****es.
This is the Internet, I always err on the side of stupid when dealing with unfamiliar personas.