A Guide to Playing Ahri, the Nine-Tailed Fox

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xChemistry

01-03-2012

Hello everyone!

This here is a guide written for my current favourite champion, Ahri, the Nine-Tailed Fox. To save any weird awkward introduction I'd have to write, I'd like to introduce myself instead :P

My name (username, of course) is xChemistry. I've been playing League of Legends for...a bunch of years now (who counts how long they've been playing anyway :S), and I enjoy it just as any other gamer would. Voila! Intro done. Let's move on to playing Ahri now

I made this guide because the first thing I saw on the "guides" section of the forums was: "Most needed guides - AHRI"!

In my opinion, Ahri is a high skill cap champion - she fits perfectly into her role as burst caster, BUT she has a catch; unlocking her full potential takes time and practice. Mastering Ahri is a very rewarding experience indeed, because she's just got so much potential.

Here quickly is a summary of her skillset, courtesy of the League of Legends Patch Notes:

Ahri, the 9 Tails Fox
Orb of Deception: Ahri throws out and pulls back her orb, dealing magic damage on the way out and true damage on the way back.
Fox-Fire: Ahri releases three fox-fires, which after a short delay lock on and attack nearby enemies.
Charm: Ahri blows a kiss that damages and charms an enemy it encounters, causing them to walk harmlessly towards her.
Spirit Rush: Ahri dashes forward and fires essence bolts, damaging 3 nearby champions. Spirit Rush can be cast up to three times before going on cooldown.
Soul Eater (Passive): Ahri gains a charge of Soul Eater whenever one of her spells hits an enemy (max: 3 charges per spell). Upon reaching 9 charges, Ahri's next spell has bonus Spell Vamp.

To start off this guide I'd like to talk in-depth about Ahri's skillset. Why? Because a champion's skillset determines everything about them that you'd find later in this guide: what masteries you'll take, what runes, what summoner spells, what playstyle you'll have.

Ahri is a hard carry, fast-moving mage, able to dish out tons of damage from a distance, and as a result is also very good at kiting. What is kiting? Kiting means to keep your distance from an enemy (just out of their attack range) so that they cannot harm you, while you use long range spells or attacks (that may slow them or prevent them from getting to you) to slowly diminish their health until they die. If you've ever played Ashe, you know what kiting is

What were the key words there? "Hard carry", "from a distance", and "kiting". That right there is Ahri's playstyle, summarized nicely. Let's look at her skills and see why this is true. Note that I will talk about tips and strategies with her skills later on, not now - for now, let's simply examine Ahri's skills through playstyle.

Orb of Deception
Ahri's first skill, Orb of Deception, hotkey Q, sends out the ball she's holding to do damage. This skill is a skillshot, meaning you must aim it with the targeting system. How it works is, the ball will boomerang out from Ahri; it will shoot in a straight line until it's reached its maximum distance, and then pull back towards Ahri. The ball does damage going out and coming back in, and there's a quirk to it: the ball will do magic damage while going out, and true damage coming back in.

The use of this skill is pretty straightforward for the ordinary player - nuke people in a line. However, those who read between the lines don't have to look very far to see Ahri's playstyle smack in the middle of the skill. In fact, it's right in the name. Orb of Deception. Remember that Ahri is a late game mage carry. Late game, when you have lots of AP, the damage from this skill can be quite shocking to your enemies. The magic damage from the outward ball movement will be heavily reduced thanks to magic resist, which DECEIVES opponents into thinking you're an easy target due to your low damage. It'll be too late for them when they realize that as the ball comes back, it wipes out a third of their HP with its true damage. This is Ahri's main kiting nuke since it has a very long range, and is fairly easy to aim if you're being chased in a straight line. The cooldown is also very short once you've gotten proper items, only about 5 seconds, which means you'll be dealing out tons of damage to any unlucky fool who decides to try and kill you.

Fox-Fire
Fox-Fire is Ahri's second skill, hotkey W. This skill summons three balls of fire around Ahri. After a very short delay, the fireballs will shoot out and hit up to three targets close-by, dealing magic damage, and prioritizing champions. This skill is not a skillshot; it uses the auto-targeting system similar to Heimerdinger's rockets - so, all you have to do is press W and watch the magic happen! Note that the same target may be hit multiple times by all three fires. Although each subsequent fire that hits the same thing has reduced damage, in the end, this skill still does a WHACK load of damage with enough AP. Hence, this is Ahri's main damaging skill.

The key to this skill are the words "prioritizes champions". The range of the fox-fires is impressive, the same if not farther range than the orb of deception. This means that if there's even one champion in range (which there usually will only be one), all three fires will hit that one champion and do a lot of damage. This knowledge is key to using fox-fires - simply press W, and walk as close as you can to an enemy champion - the fires will do the rest for you. Since this skill works better the closer enemies are to you, Fox-Fire is Ahri's "payback" nuke. Basically, when a champion with a gap-closer dashing skill like Tryndamere (with his Spin) or Graves (with his Quick Draw) tries to get up close to kill you, Fox-Fire is there to help you give them a slap in the face for trying to do so - they come up close, you pop your fires and watch as they burn your opponent back to his place, far away so that you can kite him some more. Either that, or the fires will kill him. Works either way The cooldown on this skill becomes ridiculously low late game with cooldown reduction items - it becomes 3.8 seconds exactly (without golem buff), which means these fires will be burning basically 24/7 around Ahri, ready to deal out some wicked damage to people close by.

Charm
Charm is Ahri's third skill, hotkey E. This skill will shoot out a little pink heart cloud. This skill is a skillshot, so you have to again aim it with the targeting system. If the little heart hits someone, it will "charm" them, making them walk towards Ahri for a short amount of time, and rendering them helpless for that duration (meaning they can't cast spells, attack, or do anything at all). The pink heart cloud also does a nice bit of magic damage to the thing it hits.

This right here is Ahri's amazing kiting skill. This skill has the same range as Orb of Deception, meaning that you can Charm people from quite far away. By landing a Charm, you are guaranteed to land your next barrage of spells, because they'll be walking in a straight line towards you; this skill works perfectly with Orb of Deception, which moves in a straight line, guaranteeing you to land both the magic and the true damage of the Orb. Late game, the cooldown is about 10 seconds with items, which means a wonderful disable every 10 seconds! Coupled with your other spells, you can basically launch a devastating barrage every 10 seconds (every time you Charm someone), and you won't have to wait long to begin another round of them. While kiting, all you have to do is land Charm, pop all your spells, and rinse and repeat as you dance around them and kite. Charm is what makes Ahri so amazing at kiting - don't forget that.

Spirit Rush (Ultimate)
Ahri's fourth skill (and her ultimate), Spirit Rush, hotkey R, is a decent-ranged dash that also does damage. How this skill works is this: by pressing R, Ahri will dash in the direction of your cursor, and shoot out fireballs at a maximum of three nearby champions, dealing magic damage. Following the first dash, Ahri can then dash two more times WITHIN A TIME LIMIT before the skill will go on cooldown. Unlike Fox-Fire, however, the fireballs will not stack and all attack the same person; it's one fireball per champion only.

This is Ahri's ultimate for good reason; it's a dash, meaning it can be used to escape, to close gaps, to chase, and to dance around people. The fact that it's actually three dashes is just heaven-sent goodness; this means you can do three crazy things in the short time limit you have (about 10 seconds I think). Although this skill does good damage, I prefer not to use it as a weapon - rather, Spirit Rush is much better used to re-position Ahri in such a way to land her skillshots, most importantly her Charm. The only time I would use this skill as a damage dealer is when I'm chasing someone who has SUPER low health, and all I need to do is dash their way to shoot a fireball and finish them off. Giving Ahri a dash means one thing in terms of her playstyle - KITING!! Enemies will find it impossible to catch you - they have to get through your Charm, your barrage of spells, and even then you still have your triple dash to use! It's a wonderful skill to play around with people, dancing around them until you finish them off. I can only describe this skill by saying THANK YOU to Riot for giving Ahri such an amazing kiting skill.

Soul Eater (passive)
Ahri's innate skill is a 35% spell vamp every time 9 spells have been landed (the actual spell vamp triggers on the 10th spell, the one you use after you have hit 9). You can only gain 3 charges on her passive per spell, and the indication that you can "spellvamp" your next spell is that her ball glows green, and there is a buff indicator on your dashboard telling you so.

This spell is...honestly somewhat useful. It's helpful during early game when 35% spell vamp is a lot, and you can heal to stay in lane, but don't expect this to save you when you're going to die. This is because Ahri's spells do terrible damage early game due to lack of AP; the 35% spell vamp will really only amount to about...100 hp max early game. So don't expect much, but it's still a handy skill to have.

From these facts, I have distilled Ahri's pros and cons:
Pros
+Amazing kiter
+Very good CC skill, Charm
+Spells have a long range
+Has 3 dashes!
+Virtually un-killable late game with proper items
+Charm is a good initiation skill for a teamfight
+Potent burst nuker and good at 1v1 or even 1v2

Cons
-Low HP
-Bad AP ratios
-Passive skill (spell vamp) is slightly useless until late game
-Requires a good team and teamwork all around
-Once your 3 dashes are used up, you're vulnerable/dead
-If her dashes are used to escape, it lowers her damage considerably
-Can be easily countered with CC
-Especially countered by heroes who have CC and a gap-closer, e.g. Tryndamere
-Low armor and magic resist
-Bad at killing multiple targets
-Slow movespeed (only 383 with masteries and boots)
-Small mana pool for a mage

Reading the cons, we then adjust our runes, masteries, and Summoner spells accordingly to try and make up for her weaknesses.

Runes
As with any Champion's runes, it is completely up to the player. However, I prefer one of these two following rune sets.

Pure Damage Runes
Marks: Flat AP
Glyphs: Flat AP
Quintessences: Flat AP
Seals: Flat AP
This build obviously gives pure damage. These runes basically aim at giving you a gigantic early game edge because you'll have like 50+ AP, making your harassing spells really hurt early game.

AP with some Survivability
Marks: Flat AP
Glyphs: Flat AP
Quintessences: Flat AP
Seals: Armor, Magic Resist, or even Flat Health
This build still gives AP, but the Seals are completely optional. Armor and Magic Resist are good choices, but I would rather get Flat Health. Again, this is aimed at an early game advantage - Ahri is especially vulnerable early game, so Flat HP runes will help her live long enough to get fed and start owning. Health per Level is not mentioned because it is useless for Ahri - late game, you should not be taking any damage, you should be kiting (avoiding damage) and dealing it instead.

Edit: Thanks to feedback from NavyDivea. Magic Penetration runes are also a good choice on Ahri.
NavyDivea recommends:
Magic Penetration Glyphs
AP per level Seals
Magic Penetration Marks
Magic Penetration OR Flat AP Quintessences

Masteries
I play with Ahri's masteries as always 22/0/8.
In the offensive tree, I take Summoner's Wrath (obviously), Mental Force, Sorcery, Arcane Knowledge, Havoc, Blast, Archmage, and Executioner. All of these masteries give me the flat ability power Ahri needs early game, with cooldown reduction being especially important late game.
In the utility tree, I take Summoner's Insight, Expanded Mind, and Swiftness. Expanded Mind gives me a bit more mana to use spells, since Ahri has a somewhat restricting mana pool. Swiftness is needed because Ahri moves quite slowly, and kiting requires you to be faster than your opponent!
*Note: I max everything that I mention in each tree*

Now that your pre-game is set up, let's move on to in-game. First, we should look at Ahri's item build.

My suggested item build (in order) is:
Sorcerer's Shoes/Ionian Boots of Lucidity
Fiendish Codex
Hextech Revolver
Morello's Evil Tome
Rabadon's Deathcap
Will of the Ancients
Void Staff/Rylai's Crystal Scepter/Abyssal Scepter

The reasoning behind this item build is: cooldown reduction. Ahri needs to be able to spam her spells, CCing enemies with Charm while she kites them down with Fox-Fire and Orb of Deception. Fiendish Codex (upgraded later to Morello's Evil Tome) is Ahri's core item - it gives AP, but most importantly gives her reduced cooldowns, giving you that 3.8 second cooldown on Fox-Fire so you can pump out damage like crazy.

For choice of boots, it is up to you whether or not you want more damage (Sorcerer's shoes) or even more cooldown reduction (Ionian boots of Lucidity). In my opinion, after Fiendish Codex, I don't need any more cooldown reduction, so I usually get Sorcerer's Shoes so I can kill people easier.

After boots have been bought, quickly follow up with Fiendish Codex. Once you've gotten that, leave it as it is. Your cooldown reduction is enough for mid game, so now, you focus on getting Hextech Revolver. Why do I get Revolver? It's because it gives some good AP, but it also gives a ridiculous amount of spellvamp, which synchronizes amazingly with your passive Soul Eater. Basically, if you're low on health, throw an Orb of Deception through an entire creep wave and you'll heal A LOT of health (like at least 1/2 of your HP). After Revolver is done, rush Morello's Evil Tome to prepare for late game. Once you have Morello's Evil Tome, get Rabadon's Deathcap for pure AP, and then finish your Hextech Revolver into Will of the Ancients (giving more AP and spell vamp). Will of the Ancients may also help your team if there are any other AP casters, giving them spellvamp and AP as well !

After Will of the Ancients, your items are optional.
Void Staff is a pure damage item, so if you're owning and you want to own more, get it. It's also good against teams who stack magic resist a lot, for example Galio.
Rylai's Crystal Scepter is a decent choice. While it still gives AP, you get this item if you want more HP and survivability. It also gives a slow to your spells, making kiting easier. A survivability item only.
Abyssal Scepter is a good item to counter enemy AP casters, since it gives you magic resist, and also complements you with more AP on the side. It also gives a bit more damage by reducing enemy magic resist, so it's always a nice item to pick up if you want both survivability AND damage. This is the "middle-ground" option.

I also want to say that if you really need it, Banshee's Veil or even Quicksilver Sash are good items for any Champion, even Ahri. These are really good for survivability purposes in countering stuns, slows, and anything that could ruin your kiting, so don't overlook them if you need them!

About Rod of Ages
On a side note, for those who think that I should have included Rod of Ages in the item core, I argue that Rod of Ages is not as good as the Hextech Revolver/Morello's Evil Tome combo. Rod of Ages costs a lot of gold, too much for Ahri to be able to farm early/mid game fast enough to make it beneficial for your team and yourself. Ahri's early game killing potential and farming are horrible, so unless your enemies are suiciding at turrets, you won't be able to farm RoA at all. Building up Hextech Revolver and Fiendish Codex (Morello's Evil Tome later on) give those small AP boosts early on (by buying Amplifying Tomes) that let Ahri farm and possibly kill enemy Champions. Remember, Ahri is a hard carry. Rod of Ages is only viable on Champions that can farm quickly, such as Singed or Malzahar. Ahri has no such skill, so therefore it isn't a good item on her.

Now that you've got your item build, we can move on to your skill choices!

My suggested skill order is (in order):
E
W x 2
Q
W
R
W x 2
E x 2
R
E x 2
Q x 4
R

Or, in summary:
+Take one level of E early for escaping, ganking, or even luring them into your turret.
+Next, max Fox-Fire as soon as possible, taking only one level of Q for another nuke early.
+Take ult whenever you can, at 6, 11, and 18.
+Max E next, and Q last.

Reasons behind the skill order:
Fox-Fire is much better early game than Orb of Deception for two reasons - Ahri vulnerable, meaning people are going to dive you a lot (getting up close), and also, Orb of Deception is easy to dodge (meaning it does less damage) and harder to aim. Fox-Fire will let you harass easier (no aiming required), and also hopefully scare off anybody who turret dives you.
I also max Charm over Orb of Deception simply because a longer CC duration is better than any damage Orb of Deception can pull off. Mid game, you want to be winning those key team fights and get gold to prepare for your late game. To win these team fights, you need a better CC than the other team, so maxing Charm makes sense this way.
Orb of Deception comes last because it really shines late game, when you have LOTS of AP and its true damage component does insane damage. Orb of Deception becomes your main nuke late game while kiting, since it can hit multiple people and dish out huge damage.
Finally, as always, take your ultimate, Spirit Rush, whenever you can.

Summoner Spells
Summoner Spells are always a preference for each player, so I can't force you to use anything, but I would highly recommend any of the following spells:
Flash: As always, Flash is an amazing tool for doing...well, just about anything. In combination with your ultimate, this gives you a fourth "dash" that can be used for escaping, gap-closing, etc. Flash is usually a choice for everybody.
Exhaust: Despite it being nerfed, Exhaust is still an amazing spell for saving your life, or ending someone else's. Notably however, Exhaust for Ahri is a defensive spell - when you get turret-dived, or that annoying Tryndamere spins towards you, Exhaust is there to help you kite like a pro. Always a good choice.
Teleport: Teleport is not offensive at all on Ahri, but it is still a great all-around utility spell for any champion. It lets you quickly get back to lane, counter pushes, and teleport to help allies during ganks or counter-ganks.
Ignite: This would be a pure offensive spell, to be used when trying to kill someone. Always useful for when you're out of mana and you need to finish someone off.
Heal: Okay, I will say that this spell is not as useful when compared to any of the above spells, but hey, some people like to live :P Heal can save you in those tight moments, but I would rather get Exhaust or Flash instead.

My recommendation would be a combination of either Exhaust, Flash, or Ignite. These will help you kite better, and Ignite can get you a lucky kill early game.

Rejected Summoner Spells:
Ghost: Not worth it since Ahri already has three dashes (if you include Flash, that's four). Also, Ghost forces you to run up to your opponent when trying to kill them, meaning they can see it coming and run away. Ghost is also less useful for running away because people can always slow you or catch up with their own Ghost. Flash and your dashes lets you jump over walls and stuff.
Other Summoner Spells: Those other ones such as Promote and Surge are of no use to Ahri.

You're all set! Now, I'll tell you how to play Ahri; I'll go through early, mid, and late game, and then I'll tell you some tips and tricks you can pull with her.

Early Game
Ahri can be played in mid lane, OR in side lane as well with a partner. It's really up to you, but please, be nice to other summoners - if someone calls mid, let them have it. You can have just as much fun in dual lane

Start out with Boots of Speed, 2 Health Potions, and 1 Mana Potion. The boots will give you what you need to kite - movespeed. Health potions are for surviving in lane, and the mana potion is to help with Ahri's small mana pool early game.
I don't recommend Doran's Ring because:
a) No movespeed = no kiting
b) 100 HP is not as good as kiting (where you take no damage)
c) 15 AP is nothing for Ahri - you won't be dealing a lot of damage anyway early game

Head to your lane and stay beside the turret. Ahri is not a first-blood champion. Make sure you tell your teammates that. Remember, you're a hard carry. Your early game will be rough, but you'll definitely shine late game!

In lane, play extremely defensively. Try not to push the lane, just stay back and last hit with your auto-attacks. You'll be needing the gold. If your opponent tries to be aggressive, throw a Charm their way to save yourself and run to safety. The key to your early game is to play VERY SAFELY and last hit for gold! As always, call MIAs and watch for jungle ganks! BUY WARDS IF YOU HAVE TO, THEY'RE A WORTHWHILE INVESTMENT.

If you're really desperate, you can try and use Orb of Deception (which you get at level 4) to heal yourself with your passive. Just try to hit as many minions as you can with it to heal. Again, don't expect this to save you. Go back to base if you really have to heal.

Once you reach level 6, you can start looking for a lucky kill. Harass your lane opponent using the following combo:
1) Hit them with Charm.
2) Turn on your Fox-Fire, and run towards them.
3) Throw Orb of Deception.
4) Once all your spells have hit, retreat back to safety.
This harassment technique doesn't do much damage, but it does enough to be counted as "harass".
Once the opponent is less than half hp, you can MAYBE jump on them for a kill. Wait till they've pushed their lane and over-extended, then pop out from a bush or from the side. Using your first Spirit Rush to close the gap, proceed to do the harassment combo again. NOTE: IF YOU DON'T LAND CHARM, YOU CANNOT KILL THEM. IF YOU MISS IT, JUST FORGET ABOUT IT AND RUN TO SAFETY. If you have Ignite, use it on them as soon as you're in range. Try to burst them down with the remaining dashes from Spirit Rush. HOPEFULLY, this will kill them. If not, good try, but don't blame yourself; as I've said, Ahri's early game damage is really bad. Try and save your last two Spirit Rushes to pick up the kill, or to escape. DO NOT USE THEM TO CLOSE THE GAP UNLESS YOU'RE REALLY DESPERATE! You'll most likely end up dead since you won't be able to run if you fail the attempt.

About turret diving: One rule - Don't do it. You will most certainly die - your damage won't be enough to kill them, you have low HP, and if they have Exhaust, you're dead. I emphasize this again: play EXTREMELY safely early game with Ahri.

About ganking: Ahri is not a very good ganker. Unless you're absolutely sure you can pick up the kill, I would avoid ganking with Ahri. Again, don't turret dive! If you do decide to gank, make sure you gank with someone who has a stun or a more reliable disable than your Charm - if you miss Charm, you won't be able to kill them without someone else's help! When ganking, use the first Spirit Rush to close the gap, and repeat the harassment combo (which is basically Ahri's kill combo too :P).

Mid Game
Mid game, you should have your Sorcerer's Shoes and Hextech Revolver. Hopefully, you have not lost mid turret, and you've maybe even pushed the enemy's mid turret down. Now that you have some AP and damage, you can start ganking other lanes and pushing with them to rack up gold for late game.

Ahri's kill combo still remains the same: use the first dash from Spirit Rush to close the gap, land Charm, use Fox-Fire and run up to them while you cast Orb of Deception. Cast Ignite if you have it. Your teammates should also be disabling/damaging the enemy, and use your last two Spirit Rushes to escape or pick up the kill.

Never be alone mid game - always stick with a teammate to ensure your safety, and to pick up kills from ganks. Push turrets with your team, and try to get as much gold as you can to buy your late game items.

Once you have your Morello's Evil Tome, the fun begins

Late Game
Now's your time to shine as a late game AP carry! You should be getting a huge amount of AP now thanks to Morello's Evil Tome and Rabadon's Deathcap. You should also have nicely reduced cooldowns, with Fox-Fire ready to spam. In late game, the teamfights are what matters.

Ahri's playstyle during a teamfight is different than her normal killing combo. Here's where the kiting comes in.
Some ground rules are:
1) Do not initiate fights. You will die.
2) Play it safe, as always. You're still really easy to kill, and dying won't help your team.
3) Treat Ahri like a Ranged AD carry like Vayne or Caitlyn. Stay at the back of the fight.
During the teamfight, use your Fox-Fire and Orb of Deception to deal tons of damage to the enemy team. Make sure you are always on the move - this will make it harder for your enemy to stun you and kill you. Try to stay at the maximum range of Fox-Fire, Orb of Deception, and Charm. By staying far enough away, you guarantee your safety, but you're still able to do a lot of damage.

Save your Spirit Rush until the end of the fight! Your ultimate is no longer a killing tool - it is an escaping mechanism, or a chasing tool. Without your ultimate, you will die rather quickly. Use it safely!

Ahri's fighting techniques are:
- Spam Fox-Fire and walk towards enemy champions so that they hit.
- Use Orb of Deception from long range to deal lots of damage.
- When someone tries to get up and close to kill you, use Charm and run to a safe distance. Once they are Charmed, kite them with Orb of Deception and Fox-Fire.

Charm is your main kiting skill. Ahri is good at separating people from their team in a fight - by trying to chase you, they will be alone and far away from their team, where you can easily kill them and rejoin the main fight later. Tag your threat with Charm when they get close, and if you have to, use Spirit Rush to keep a distance from your enemy. Flash also helps when kiting if you need to quickly escape.

Remember, Ahri's skills have a really big range - abuse it by pummeling enemy champions from afar during a teamfight, and disabling all the fools who try to kill you with Charm.

Focus on keeping yourself alive. You're no use to your team dead, so again, use Spirit Rush to run if you have to!!!

Hopefully, you'll be dealing immense damage to the enemy team and win the fight. Even though you've won a fight, always be wary if there are survivors! Ahri is easily killed if she gets disabled - ALWAYS BE ALERT AND PLAY IT SAFE.

Hopefully you can then push and win the game !!

A note about the Golem Buff
Thank you to Titan9900 for feedback about this!
The Golem buff gives Ahri insane mana regen, and nicely reduced cooldowns for spamming spells. If you can get this buff early/mid game, you can aggressively harass your opponent with no fear of dying - by spamming spells, you charge up your passive to give you spellvamp. This means you can harass your enemy and heal back any damage you take quickly. In short, Golem buff is amazing on Ahri!

*Guide continued in next section*

xChemistry

01-03-2012

Tips and Tricks
To finish off this guide, here is the tips/tricks section. Ahri is a tricky little fox, and you can make it very hard for the enemy to kill you if you play right.

Tricks with Spirit Rush
+Remember that Spirit Rush is a dash. This means you can use it to escape over walls and cliffs! Don't be afraid to use it to run.
+Always save at least one Spirit Rush for running away. Your first two dashes should be used to either close gaps and/or kill enemies. Keeping one dash for escaping ensures that you play safe.
+If your Spirit Rush is on cooldown, do not try to gank or kill people. You will not be able to catch up to them/deal enough damage to kill them. Go farm or go back to heal until your ultimate is back up again.
+Spirit Rush is very good when toying with an enemy - if it's just you and them 1v1, use Spirit Rush to dodge their disables/nukes, but keep in range of them so that the fireballs from Spirit Rush damage them. Dance around them with Spirit Rush - remember to be unpredictable! Dash in weird patterns to dodge their disables!

Tricks with Orb of Deception
+Orb of Deception is a very good tool for pushing minion waves quickly. Just shoot it through the entire minion wave and last hit the ranged minions to farm fast.
+Try to hit an enemy at the very tip of the range - that way, the ball will hit them and retract at the same time, doing damage very quickly so that they can't avoid it.
+Use Orb of Deception to quickly heal - throw it through an entire minion wave if you have your passive or Hextech Revolver to heal a lot of health fast.

Tricks with Fox-Fire
+Remember that Fox-Fire is an auto-targeting skill, like Heimer's rockets. This means it takes no skill to use! Abuse its range by running up to the enemy to make the fires prioritize them and hit them.

Tricks with Charm
+Charm hits invisible champions - if you think Twitch or Eve is lurking around, throw it to hit them. It will not reveal them, but it might scare them off and save your life.
+Charm is a good escaping tool when you're being chased. It prevents people from attacking you.
+Use Charm to check bushes! It might make someone walk out of the bush or scare them away!
+If you're being chased towards your turret, wait until they get in range of the turret and then hit them with Charm to make them walk into your turret and take a lot of damage. You might even get a kill out of this!
+Charm is your main kiting tool! Use it to lure someone away from their team during a teamfight and finish them off with your other nukes.
+Use Charm on an enemy and quickly follow up with Orb of Deception for a quick easy-to-aim combo.

To summarize this guide, Ahri is an amazing late game AP carry that can kite very well. Remember to play it safe, using your long range to your advantage! Have fun playing Ahri I hope you liked this guide and found it helpful. Please leave any comments or suggestions! I'd be glad to listen.

The "User-Created" Guide for Ahri
Hi, so thanks to the users below who have given me AAHMAZING feedback (thank you guys ^^), this little "separate" guide is following up to that feedback.

The main things mentioned here are: Orb of Deception vs. Foxfires, and the corresponding playstyle changes.

Now, as Warrrrax mentioned below, here is a list of champions where you would want to go Orb of Deception against, rather than Foxfires.

Orb of Deception is good against:
Any Melee champions - Range is invaluable against any melee person. Using Orb of Deception gives you huge power over a melee opponent, so you can basically dominate any lane if they're against you.
Any Ranged Champion with a LOWER range than you - Again, you can basically dominate them since your range is higher than theirs. Examples: Veigar, Vladimir, Mordekaiser.
Brand, Casseopeia, Orianna, Ziggs - These champions have a long range on their spells. It's wise you take Orb of Deception so you can poke back at them when they try to harass you.

Foxfires are good against:
Any Melee Champions - Foxfires do quite a bit of damage, and thus they will be advantageous against melee champions too. Foxfires can discourage a melee from charging up to you and trying to kill you, and you can abuse Foxfire range to dance around them and kite them.
Short-ranged Champions - For example, Twisted Fate, Twitch, Corki. You can harass them with Foxfires since they have low HP, and your Foxfire range will keep you safe.

About Leveling Orb of Deception first
The playstyle is not much different, you now have a longer range nuke to attack/harass with. Just stay behind the ranged minions and throw the ball out. As said earlier in the guide, try to hit them at the tip of the ball range, that way it becomes near impossible to dodge and it does both the magic damage and the true damage.

Orb of Deception takes more skill to use, so aim your shots carefully! It travels in a straight line and moves quickly, so usually they will not be able to dodge it if you catch them by surprise

The new skill order would be:
E
Q x 2
W
Q
R
Q x 2
E x 2
R
E x 2
W x 4
R

Once again, thank you for all the wonderful feedback !
Have fun playing Ahri! I hope I helped you somewhat

Titan9900

01-04-2012

Interesting build I will be honest I don't really agree with a lot of it. I will just pick out a few things that I feel need to be noted.

First her passive in conjunction with a blue buff which lowers ahri's already low cooldowns and mana cost. This lets you spam all your abilities giving you more sustain, in addition with a item such as will of the ancient this makes ahri's passive decent through out the game.

You also mention that she is bad at killing multiple targets, I don't think this is true considering her orb of deception, fox fire and dash are all multiple targeting spells. When she does target multiple enemies her damage does drop but I assume if you are taking on multiple enemies you have some team support behind you.

Leveling fox fire is also interesting I have seen it done and it is one way to go however, I think the true damage of orb of deception and how easy it is to creep farm with it makes it a better skill to level first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xChemistry View Post
Hello everyone!
Reading the cons, we then adjust our runes, masteries, and Summoner spells accordingly to try and make up for her weaknesses.
I also wanted to quote you on this because I believe it is better to work runes around ahri's strengths not her weaknesses. Ap runes are good on ahri but I wouldn't go a pure ability power rune build. Some mana regen works really great with her low cooldowns and high natural mana regeneration.

NavyDivea

01-04-2012

Just a few things i disagree with but otherwise good gide.

1) items

boots>codex>revolver>lucidity>rylai's>wota>DFG>dea thcap>abbysal/void would be my suggested build order. tear into AA isnt bad ether if your an agressive player.

2) runes

mp5 blues>scaling AP yellows>Mpen reds> flat AP or Mpen quints

Its been proven Mpen is just plain better most of the time and as an AP carry you need to be doing max damage.

xChemistry

01-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan9900 View Post
Interesting build I will be honest I don't really agree with a lot of it. I will just pick out a few things that I feel need to be noted.

First her passive in conjunction with a blue buff which lowers ahri's already low cooldowns and mana cost. This lets you spam all your abilities giving you more sustain, in addition with a item such as will of the ancient this makes ahri's passive decent through out the game.

You also mention that she is bad at killing multiple targets, I don't think this is true considering her orb of deception, fox fire and dash are all multiple targeting spells. When she does target multiple enemies her damage does drop but I assume if you are taking on multiple enemies you have some team support behind you.

Leveling fox fire is also interesting I have seen it done and it is one way to go however, I think the true damage of orb of deception and how easy it is to creep farm with it makes it a better skill to level first.

I also wanted to quote you on this because I believe it is better to work runes around ahri's strengths not her weaknesses. Ap runes are good on ahri but I wouldn't go a pure ability power rune build. Some mana regen works really great with her low cooldowns and high natural mana regeneration.
Hi, thanks for the feedback I appreciate it.

In terms of your comment on her passive and blue buff, I did not put a section on buffs, so I will. Her passive is still sort of useless though in my opinion - until you can get low cooldowns from items late game, you won't be spamming spells any time soon (unless of course you have the Golem buff :P).

Also, I would like to counter-argue your point about her "multi-kill" ability. I would argue that if you're close enough to hit multiple people with Orb of Deception's full range, you're close enough to be dead. When you're at max (or close to max) range for the Orb, it will only maybe hit 2 people maximum. In addition, Ahri's spells are much more potent when you focus them on one or two people instead of multiple targets, especially Fox-Fire. Again, I would like to say that her ultimate is not a team-killing tool - if you dash into the middle of a fight with it you'll probably die, so that doesn't give her much multi-kill potential there either.

As to the skill order (I level Fox-Fire first, you level Orb), it honestly is up to the player - I like fox fire because it gives me more 1v1 damage, and it's an easier harassing tool in lane since they can't dodge it. But if you like to level Orb that's fine too This is just my way to play Ahri.

As for runes, there's two ways you can go - working her strengths as you say, or working her weaknesses. By going for her strengths, it's building Ahri into a glass cannon, while if you work her weaknesses it gives her survivability. However, it doesn't matter either way because Ahri desperately needs AP to kill people anyway - therefore, AP runes are necessary. I don't think Ahri has very high mana regeneration either - I always find myself mana hungry early game. But mana regen runes are kind of useless in my opinion - I'd rather pull some good damage with AP or Magic Pen runes.

Thanks for the feedback though !

xChemistry

01-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDivea View Post
Just a few things i disagree with but otherwise good gide.

1) items

boots>codex>revolver>lucidity>rylai's>wota>DFG>dea thcap>abbysal/void would be my suggested build order. tear into AA isnt bad ether if your an agressive player.

2) runes

mp5 blues>scaling AP yellows>Mpen reds> flat AP or Mpen quints

Its been proven Mpen is just plain better most of the time and as an AP carry you need to be doing max damage.
Hey, thanks for giving feedback

I'm not going to change my item build for this guide, it's similar to yours. However, I still think your build is good too!
As for runes, I agree with yours, and I'll mention them in the guide I won't fully change the entire thing though :/

Again, thank you!

FaerellG

01-04-2012

I've been running MS quints, Mpen Reds, mana regen yellow, and CDR blues.

I don't feel that the AP runes are enough to justify it. The idea is that if you can sustain your manaregen through runes/masteries, then you don't need to build any mana regen in your items and instead I can focus on damage. The MS quints are nice to supplement Ahri's slow move speed.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-05-2012

AP Quints give 5 AP each which is very efficient. AP Blues though give 1, which is a 1/5 ratio which is just awful. A few champs that either have HEALS or SHIELDS(sion) really want the AP so badly that they will take AP blues.

But there is just no excuse for AP red and yellows. Those slots are more powerful than blues, yet the AP versions are just awful!

Red should definitely be Magic Penetration which has wayyy more impact than a few extra AP.
Yellow should be mana regen or health or armor. Heck, anything but AP.

Also, maxing foxfire first is usually a mistake. Heimers rockets are awesome...I love them. Foxfire is NOT a heimer rocket though. Their range is shorter (800), and is even shorter than you might think. When you cast foxfire it spawns 3 thingees ALL AROUND her. Many times, only the closest to the enemy bothers to attack, and the other 2 that are on the opposite side of her just sit there, or attack a creep.

Getting close enough to hit with all 3 requires a range of about 600. This means you have to trade nukes with basically every other AP mid in the game! Many times they will be able to nuke you from 650ish and retreat while only taking 1 foxfire hit instead of 3.

If you could reliably triplehit them with it, yeah you could trade nukes and come out ahead vs many champs. But it just hasn't worked out.

Instead, you have a highly effective 880 range ball attack that you can use to outrange pretty much ANY mid champion, that also goes thru creeps and attacks pretty fast.

Yes they can dodge it many times, but they have zero response other than to ignore it and farm.

It might be a good idea to list which champs to go Ball against, vs which ones to Foxfire against.

FaerellG

01-05-2012

^This. The AP runes generally aren't worth it. AP Quints are nice, but I'd much rather have the MS quints to make up for her slow speed.

I get the notion that Ahri does True damage on the backswing of her Q, but everything else is magic damage, so you do want penetration.

I've found that Ahri is best played like an assassin, not a typical mage-nuker.
Poke with the ball until they're low enough for you to burst down. Never trade hits unless it's for the kill. Always pack an escape unless the kill is guaranteed (they're already trying to run away at low health).

For Foxfire, I only use it for clearing minion waves or after my first dash which I've used to gap-close already. It just isn't reliable enough of a damage source unless you're standing ontop of them.

My typical combo is to Q to clear the minion wave, immediately followed with R to gap close, W for damage and to buy time to figure out what their reaction is so I can properly line up E to hold them in place.

Then I can use the last 2 Rs to deal more damage and escape...or hop out, wait for cooldowns, and then hop back in for the kill.

Ignite gets dropped first chance I get.

xChemistry

02-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrrrax View Post
AP Quints give 5 AP each which is very efficient. AP Blues though give 1, which is a 1/5 ratio which is just awful. A few champs that either have HEALS or SHIELDS(sion) really want the AP so badly that they will take AP blues.

But there is just no excuse for AP red and yellows. Those slots are more powerful than blues, yet the AP versions are just awful!

Red should definitely be Magic Penetration which has wayyy more impact than a few extra AP.
Yellow should be mana regen or health or armor. Heck, anything but AP.

Also, maxing foxfire first is usually a mistake. Heimers rockets are awesome...I love them. Foxfire is NOT a heimer rocket though. Their range is shorter (800), and is even shorter than you might think. When you cast foxfire it spawns 3 thingees ALL AROUND her. Many times, only the closest to the enemy bothers to attack, and the other 2 that are on the opposite side of her just sit there, or attack a creep.

Getting close enough to hit with all 3 requires a range of about 600. This means you have to trade nukes with basically every other AP mid in the game! Many times they will be able to nuke you from 650ish and retreat while only taking 1 foxfire hit instead of 3.

If you could reliably triplehit them with it, yeah you could trade nukes and come out ahead vs many champs. But it just hasn't worked out.

Instead, you have a highly effective 880 range ball attack that you can use to outrange pretty much ANY mid champion, that also goes thru creeps and attacks pretty fast.

Yes they can dodge it many times, but they have zero response other than to ignore it and farm.

It might be a good idea to list which champs to go Ball against, vs which ones to Foxfire against.
I will edit the guide as to that list of "orb champs" vs. "foxfire champs" I will also add a separate ending section on maxing orb first, just gimme a minute guys