The harrowing amount of racist language the current generation uses...

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Flodoard

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDSandM View Post
I agree, but most of the people on the internet who do use offensive slurs, intend to get under your skin and hurt you. Everyone knows you could be possibly talking to a black person or a homosexual. Yet, they have no sympathy or care not to appear racist. I think they are just as racist as blatantly saying "n*gger" to a black person's face.
that's true
but insults from an anonymous person over the keyboard are usually laughable
put us face to face and he'll squirm out
if not, then at least he's not a coward, but still not a good person

trolling uses racism to aggravate other people, but racism is not a tool in it's original context, it is an evil in and of itself; thus internet "racism" is of a different breed than actual racism (at least that is what I tell myself to prevent myself from raging)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jesus the Friend

Member

01-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyedMonster View Post
profanity has become so widely over used in our schools and media,
By retards, yes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BDSandM
Some people say trolls aren't really bad people in real life, but that's BS. Anyone who uses words to try to insult or hurt people for absolutely no reason but the "lulz," is a bad person. I don't care if it's in person or not.
Yeah because that's TOTALLY what the word trolling means.

/rolleyes


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sailor Cosmos

Senior Member

01-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flodoard View Post
that's true
but insults from an anonymous person over the keyboard are usually laughable
put us face to face and he'll squirm out
if not, then at least he's not a coward, but still not a good person

trolling uses racism to aggravate other people, but racism is not a tool in it's original context, it is an evil in and of itself; thus internet "racism" is of a different breed than actual racism (at least that is what I tell myself to prevent myself from raging)
I respectfully disagree.

Some people say trolls aren't really bad people in real life, but that's BS. Anyone who uses words to try to insult or hurt people for absolutely no reason but the "lulz," is a bad person. I don't care if it's in person or not. These people are bad people and if "n*gger" or "f*ggot" happens to be one of their choice words, then they're racist and/or homophobic too.

If it's used among friends only who know you're not racist or homophobic, that's different.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Flodoard

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDSandM View Post
I respectfully disagree.

Some people say trolls aren't really bad people in real life, but that's BS. Anyone who uses words to try to insult or hurt people for absolutely no reason but the "lulz," is a bad person. I don't care if it's in person or not. These people are bad people and if "n*gger" or "f*ggot" happens to be one of their choice words, then they're racist and/or homophobic too.

If it's used among friends only who know you're not racist or homophobic, that's different.
thank you for being respectful

to explain myself a little more thoroughly, I believe that although it is quite likely that the people who use racially/sexually based insults may very well be racists/homophobes (etc), I notice that such insults are so often devoid of their actual meaning and original contexts that sometimes it seems like people are just copying each other.
monkey see monkey do
I don't believe that using such insults necessarily means that they are racist/homophobic. just because I say "omg that troll is so gay"doesn't make me a homophobe - then again I guess gay people can be homophobic, but that's not the case here.

I am not saying you are wrong in the least, I am just explaining my view more thoroughly (I say this to be respectful myself)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Powerstoned

Member

01-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flodoard View Post
+ 1000
I've been saying this forever at my college only to have people laugh at me
I'm gay, and I have no problem with the word f@ggot
back at school my friends would sometimes say "hey f*ggot" and I'd respond "Hey @sshole"
It was just playful rudeness. We all do it. So why is it that playful rudeness with regards to race/sexuality aren't ok?

if someone called me a f*ggot and meant it as an insult, that's something else. that is hurtful, not because of the word itself, but because of his hate for me that he wishes to convey to me. That is the difference
But the reason that the term "f*ggot" is used as a derogatory term, is someone uses it to negatively compare you to something else they view negatively (being gay). It's great that you don't get hurt by ignorant, hurtful words, I wish nobody did, but it's an insult, know that.

Nobody is using the term f*ggot un-insultingly with you but you don't care about it. How many times have you heard the term "f*ggot" from your friends in a positive way?

The same argument you're try to make, is said by kids who use "That's so gay" and the like. The excuse that they've heard it a million times at school, are desensitized to it now, don't think of that phrase as anything about sexuality, but is now simply about something they think is "lame".

But the reason they think it's "lame", is because someone used the term "gay", that for them, had a negative connotation to it, and turned it into a metaphor for something still negative. It does not make it ok for anyone to say. There's a lotta words you shouldn't say because of the history behind them, because a lot of people get offended, and if you don't learn not to use them, or where they came from, someone should teach you.

Look, me and all my friends growing up used every word in the book to talk to each other with, but in mixed company, at work, school, whereever, it has to be refrained from, and really there is no reason to have those references in our vocabulary in the first place.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sailor Cosmos

Senior Member

01-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flodoard View Post
thank you for being respectful

to explain myself a little more thoroughly, I believe that although it is quite likely that the people who use racially/sexually based insults may very well be racists/homophobes (etc), I notice that such insults are so often devoid of their actual meaning and original contexts that sometimes it seems like people are just copying each other.
monkey see monkey do
I don't believe that using such insults necessarily means that they are racist/homophobic. just because I say "omg that troll is so gay"doesn't make me a homophobe - then again I guess gay people can be homophobic, but that's not the case here.

I am not saying you are wrong in the least, I am just explaining my view more thoroughly (I say this to be respectful myself)
I associate the lack of care to respect individuals' struggles, that are still real issues, and the knowledge that you could offend an actual black person/homosexual/gender, as someone who is racist/homophobic/sexist.

Basically, lack of care = racist/homophobe/sexist/etc.

I'm not saying we should kiss the feet of the minorities, I'm saying there are things that shouldn't be said unless you know the person you are speaking to will not be offended. And typically, people know you're not racist/homophobic/sexist when you've proven you're not by being around/talking to that person for a period of time.

I used to call my boyfriend f*ggot, faggy, bean, b*aner, brownie (he's Mexican), because he knew I wasn't serious and didn't mean those words maliciously. He's the only instance I've ever used those words.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Flodoard

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstoned View Post
But the reason that the term "f*ggot" is used as a derogatory term, is someone uses it to negatively compare you to something else they view negatively (being gay). It's great that you don't get hurt by ignorant, hurtful words, I wish nobody did, but it's an insult, know that.

Nobody is using the term f*ggot un-insultingly with you but you don't care about it. How many times have you heard the term "f*ggot" from your friends in a positive way?

The same argument you're try to make, is said by kids who use "That's so gay" and the like. The excuse that they've heard it a million times at school, are desensitized to it now, don't think of that phrase as anything about sexuality, but is now simply about something they think is "lame".

But the reason they think it's "lame", is because someone used the term "gay", that for them, had a negative connotation to it, and turned it into a metaphor for something still negative. It does not make it ok for anyone to say. There's a lotta words you shouldn't say because of the history behind them, because a lot of people get offended, and if you don't learn not to use them, or where they came from, someone should teach you.

Look, me and all my friends growing up used every word in the book to talk to each other with, but in mixed company, at work, school, whereever, it has to be refrained from, and really there is no reason to have those references in our vocabulary in the first place.
I had a hard time understanding you, but I understood the first paragraph perfectly

what I am trying to say is that people may be using these words as insults not because they negatively view the people whom these words normally describe, but rather for the shallow reason that they have heard these words be used as powerful insults. I am suggesting to these people the original meanings are irrelevant; they might as well not know them

tl;dr people can use the word "f@ggot" as an insult without even knowing what it means. Ignorant of the word's meaning, they cannot be labeled homophobic/discriminatory against gays


Edit: I am NOT suggesting that people are actually ignorant of the meaning of the word f*ggot, all I am saying is that the word is used so in so many different ways, that it is loosing its meaning. (virtue does not mean power anymore now does it?)


12