The harrowing amount of racist language the current generation uses...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GreenEyedMonster

01-03-2012

... has nothing to do with racism.

I really believe that since normal profanity has become so widely over used in our schools and media, that it has just lost it's edge and is blending with more acceptable terms.

I think that is why people who are perfectly unbiggotted, will resort to using racist terminology, simply to get the rise in people they desire.

Don't get me wrong, racism is still a problem. But I think it is mainly an issue for the older generations and much less so for the younger generations. While racial slurs are still thrown around in ignorance, I think they lack the actual hate for race that they once carried, much like how the terminology for "gay" has been recently more used as a term for "That's dumb." (once again, not condoning it, but it is a good example)

I am not really trying to defend any off the braying jackasses who are using racial slurs and I do not condone their usage in anyway, but I felt the need to share this. While there was no real point to this post other than share insight, I think it was warranted with the intense amount of racism I have seen recently in online games.

I think the world is moving in a better direction when it comes to bigotry and other forms of discrimination despite how frequently bigoted words are used.

Dobagoh

01-03-2012

Have you visited youtube lately to make such a conclusion?

GreenEyedMonster

01-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobagoh View Post
Have you visited youtube lately to make such a conclusion?
You do know what a troll is right?

Some of those people are way too obvious when pretending to be sub-homosapien hicks.

Dobagoh

01-03-2012

I'm really interested in learning how you think the use of racial slurs such as '_____ jew' and n----r are not racist. I'm sure they've picked up secondary meanings along the way in their use, secondary meanings which do not reflect the racist undertones of the word itself, which, by the way, is significantly different from the use of 'gay' for 'dumb'.

Oh, they're just trolling, so it's ok. The KKK trolls African-Americans by calling them n----rs, neo-Nazi ideologues continue their crusade against non-Germanic races, obvious troll is obvious, let's all go home and call it day. Glad we were able to put this argument behind us!

Elan Tedronai

01-03-2012

Harrowing doesn't really fit in that context.

Vorkon

01-03-2012

if i call you a ****er

it means youre shady

tell me how that isnt racist

Dragoeth

01-03-2012

I don't believe in racist words. I believe in context of the words being racist.

GreenEyedMonster

01-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobagoh View Post
I'm really interested in learning how you think the use of racial slurs such as '_____ jew' and n----r are not racist.
I didn't say it wasn't racist. But like in all the other threads I've seen you in, you are good at putting words into people's mouths when arguing.

The words themselves and usage are racist, however they may not have racist intentions behind them.

A person who harbors no ill will or racist views may use the word in an attempt to goad/troll said person when in the past it used on regular terms because they thought of said people as a lesser demographic.

Flodoard

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoeth View Post
I don't believe in racist words. I believe in context of the words being racist.
+ 1000
I've been saying this forever at my college only to have people laugh at me
I'm gay, and I have no problem with the word f@ggot
back at school my friends would sometimes say "hey f*ggot" and I'd respond "Hey @sshole"
It was just playful rudeness. We all do it. So why is it that playful rudeness with regards to race/sexuality aren't ok?

if someone called me a f*ggot and meant it as an insult, that's something else. that is hurtful, not because of the word itself, but because of his hate for me that he wishes to convey to me. That is the difference

Sailor Cosmos

01-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flodoard View Post
+ 1000
I've been saying this forever at my college only to have people laugh at me
I'm gay, and I have no problem with the word f@ggot
back at school my friends would sometimes say "hey f*ggot" and I'd respond "Hey @sshole"
It was just playful rudeness. We all do it. So why is it that playful rudeness with regards to race/sexuality aren't ok?

if someone called me a f*ggot and meant it as an insult, that's something else. that is hurtful, not because of the word itself, but because of his hate for me that he wishes to convey to me. That is the difference
I agree, but most of the people on the internet who do use offensive slurs, intend to get under your skin and hurt you. Everyone knows you could be possibly talking to a black person or a homosexual. Yet, they have no sympathy or care not to appear racist. I think they are just as racist as blatantly saying "n*gger" to a black person's face.