Has anyone found a way to make Volibear viable on Dom?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OxBaker

01-03-2012

I bought him when he first came out and I'll be honest that even before they nerfed him I never found a way to consistently do well with him. And honestly I tried for as long as my frail ego would allow because on paper VB has everything I like in a champ and so I really wanted to figure out how to play him. The problem was that occasionally I would do well but most of the time I would just end up in 4th or 5th place with teammates blaming me for losses.

Eventually when RIOT announced they would be nerfing him I just shelved him and thought that I'd just watch and see what effective Volibear players built and how they played him but I'm not sure if it's just the Elo that I'm at but I rarely see him do well and each time the build has been different.

So in my hopes of being able to play the big guy again I thought I'd ask if any other players have found builds that seem to really consistantly work well for them. And keep in mind, I will look up your match history to verify

Thanks in advance!

Singed,

A Volibear Wannabe

The Wrongsword

01-03-2012

I guess it depends on what you mean by "viable". If you can play with a premade I think he definitely is, not cause he'll put up crazy k/d numbers but because he is a good initiator. He can build tanky and still put out good dmg, so he can run in and flip someone into your allies to set up a kill, and he can soak dmg and abilities so your DPS can do their thing. He tends to get focused more than pure tanks which is helpful for the rest of your team. And while he doesnt have a ton of CC like a pure tank like Alistar, that flip alone can be devastating if timed well, and he has more dmg output.

So, as a non-volibear player I can appreciate a good volibear if he's playing well with the rest of the team. He's not a solo duelist and he cant carry a bad team, and you usually wont see crazy k/d numbers on him so for those reasons he may not be so useful in solo queue. but if you have a party and you know what his role is he can be very helpful.

Ascleph

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-03-2012

The problem with the bear is the same Leona got with Blitz:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OxBaker View Post
Singed

A Paralyzed Kid

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-03-2012

K i wouldnt call myself a pro at all, but i try to main voli and i would say he is really good on dominion. Play him solo bot, and build crazy tanky. All i do is stay in lane instead of roaming to team fights and running around caping. Even though it doesnt sound like you would end with a top score, if you play defens you can end with a decent k/d and end up winning for your team. I usually start with just a giants belt and then wait it out until you can get either buy a frozen mallet or rylai's crystal scepter and then depending on who you are up against build straight up armor and magic resist. Hope it helps.
BTW im only a 29 so i cant play ranked yet.

dredzach

01-03-2012

I have 40 more wins than losses. I'm sorry to break it to you, Volibear sucks. He sucked before the nerf, so I can only imagine now. He is a joke/troll pick. He is almost dodge-worthy. What he brings to the team is a meat shield. Literally, his most useful feature is that he will suck up some enemy spells before dying. This might buy enough time for the other players to actually kill someone (cause Volibear won't be). I wanted Volibear to be good, too. Hopefully he will get some kind of buff later. All he needs is a 1 second stun or his gap closer to be instant like maokai instead of just a speed burst.

My only advice to you is to keep using Volibear until your Dominion elo is so bad that he starts destroying everyone. This process might take awile

xGvPx

01-03-2012

One problem I see while playing with a Volibear is poor Q usage. Volibear's speed burst can help track down enemies but the speed burst can also distance Volibear from his team. I'd say one of the first things a struggling Volibear player should do is be aware of how your teammates can react--maybe a second CC, a gap closer ninja w/ slow, etc--once you do end up flipping the enemy, and also to avoid chasing an enemy just to get a flip (especially in Dominion, where protecting turrets is way more important, especially with Volibear's passive). Most Volibears focus on attack speed for his kit.

evilXkilla

01-03-2012

FDru is probably one of top Dominion players and Voli is one of his mains. He changes his build from game to game to counter opponents but he always builds 2 stats: hp and AS and he always takes surge.

I'd recommend looking him up.

TEEAHMAT TOOSDEY

01-03-2012

Cleanse

OxBaker

01-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilXkilla View Post
FDru is probably one of top Dominion players and Voli is one of his mains. He changes his build from game to game to counter opponents but he always builds 2 stats: hp and AS and he always takes surge.

I'd recommend looking him up.
I checked him and he only used VB once in his recent match history and lost. Kinda looks like he may even be giving up on the big guy.

Tenant

Friend of Urf

01-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by OxBaker View Post
I checked him and he only used VB once in his recent match history and lost. Kinda looks like he may even be giving up on the big guy.
I'd like to say I main Jax, but I haven't played him in weeks. People play other champions too, you know.